fine curls getting weighed down?

confusedcurlyconfusedcurly Posts: 10Registered Users
well when I get out of the shower and my hair is wet, its curly, about 3a. but then when it dries it gets weighed down and turns into 2a, or 2b if I'm lucky.
will layers help my hair stay curly?

also how short is too short for curly hair layers? I heard going too short can make your hair frizz up.

Comments

• mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Well, going shorter will look very different depending on your hair. Some people find it brings out curls, but some find that it cuts off the curl pattern and it just frizzes up. Layers will probably help it be less weighed down.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • lucky_dlucky_d Posts: 19Registered Users
    If there's one thing about curly hair that we do know it's that everyone's behaves differently. What might be too short for my curls might make yours spring right up.

I have fine hair also. Personally I've been finding that mine gets wavier and more defined the longer it gets. I'm more wavy than curly though. When I have cut it short and in layers in the past I have not liked the results. I think there are so many different angles of waves and curls going on that when you chop layers into it it just makes it even more confusing. Also, the lightness of the fine hair makes it start to fly away from the rest, creating even more frizz.

Have you considered that maybe something else could be weighing it down? For me, I have to be careful with products. For instance, I can't leave ANY conditioner in my hair. They often tell curly people to leave some conditioner to keep it moisturized. This does not work for me. Hair gets very heavy and sticky feeling whenever I do that. I get the best results when I wash ALL the conditioner out till it is squeaky clean. Then I use the liquidyest gel I can find, more like a lotion than a gel. I'm also careful to separate the hair into sections and apply the gel/lotion very deliberately evenly through each section. If I follow those steps the rest is very easy as it seems to go right into place with the diffuser and air drying.

It takes some practice, but I truly believe with fine hair that "less is more".
  • BBBB Posts: 475Registered Users
    For instance, I can't leave ANY conditioner in my hair. They often tell curly people to leave some conditioner to keep it moisturized. This does not work for me. Hair gets very heavy and sticky feeling whenever I do that. I get the best results when I wash ALL the conditioner out till it is squeaky clean.

It is so funny you posted this. I've always used a ton of leave-in b/c I'm convinced my hair will break off if I don't. But I noticed that none of my hair stylists use any and it got me thinking. Today, I skipped the leave-in and my hair is so much curlier.

Who would have thought???
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Layers do help "lighten up" curly hair, but the looser 3a curls need enough curl to curl--if that makes sense? I used to lose curl if my hair was too short. Since going with the more natural products and, especially the soap bars, my hair is much curlier. Last week, my stylist actually put in shorter layers for winter--my curls just sprung up.

When I think my hair is being weighted down by leave in, I just put it on my more problematic areas. Just a little bit on crown/canopy--the more exposed areas.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BB, kathymack: After I said that about the leave-in I noticed yesterday that my ends were just horribly dry. I think the central heat coming on this last week at my office is starting to dehydrate my hair and skin. Well, I found some Giovanni DLI in my closet (I never knew it was so popular, I just had a sample of it I tried once) and decided to try just putting a teensy bit on the ends. Sure enough, not 10 minutes later I was like stay-puff. Total frizz and funky sticky volume with little wave pattern. I don't know what it is, but me and leave-in don't mix.

So, yesterday turned into a ponytail day. NEXT!

Today I did the same thing but used my sweet almond oil that I usually use on my skin. I had tried that in my hair awhile back but it totally flattened it out. Now I think I was using too much before, and too much "inside" my hair. It worked really well just applying like 2 drops on my hands then pulling the ends with it. I ordered some Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and am looking forward to using that for this purpose. I was worried that the oiliness might be too much but now I'm thinking it will be perfect.
  • BBBB Posts: 475Registered Users
    My hair was so much curlier when I was younger and didn't use much besides gel. Of course it is healthier now but less curly. We are definately on to something with the leave-ins.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi
    I'm thinking of trying something new with the leave-in. Instead of trying to style it after I leave it in, I'm going to try leaving it in overnight while I am sleeping. Then it will be washed out the next day. Maybe that way I can get the benefits of the conditioning without it interfering with the styling process.

I definitely need more moisture, especially in winter, just trying to figure out how to get it is the trick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file