Firm hold FSG and flaxseed/jojoba gel mix

KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
I started out with GypsyCurl's "Homemade [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]". I posted a bit about that in this thread. And for reference, here is a link to GyspyCurl's video in which she demonstrated making the jojoba gel. I followed her instructions fairly closely, but did just a bit of tweaking. When all was said and done, this was the recipe I used:

* 4 oz LOTD AVG

* 1 oz jojoba oil

* 1 oz vegetable glycerine

* a little over 1/2 tsp xanthum gum

* approximately 3/8 tsp citric acid- I used LOTD, which does require refrigeration, so I added the citric acid as a preservative because it was the best option I had on hand; I still try to keep it in the fridge as much as possible, anyway, though

I also added a few drops each of musk and vanilla oil because the smell wasn't doing it for me. Of course, this isn't necessary, per se, but you can use the opportunity to add EOs for scent or for preservative qualities. Now that I've received my grapefruit seed extract, I intend to use that in future batches, sticking with fragrance and essential oils for scenting.

Once the jojoba gel was mixed, it seemed an awful lot like what GypsyCurls produced in her video (she may have been a bit heavier of hand with the xanthum gum, though). Being anxious to try my first concoction, I think I overdid it, and applied more than I needed. It was just a bit too much for my hair, and while it was holding very well, as I scrunched out the crunch, my hair seemed weighted down. But having had so much fun making it, the flaxseeds in my fridge were beckoning...

I did quite a bit of research on the various FSG recipes on the board. It seemed to be a common theme that many posters weren't able to get as strong a hold as they'd been hoping for, so I decided to combine several recipes, and tweak them all. Here is what I used, and how I used it:

> 2c. H20

> 9 heaping tsp flax seeds (I'll probably add more next time)

> I brought these to a stiff boil, stirring constantly, added a scant tsp. honey, reduced the heat to med. high, and boiled for about 12-13 minutes.

> After first boil, I added about a tsp. more honey, again reduced stove temp (to medium), and boiled another 5 mins, stirring occasionally.

> I cut the foot off of a pair of pantyhose, stretched it over my metal hand strainer, and strained into a glass pyrex measuring cup. I'm not sure if it was my seeds, my strainer, the length of time boiled, or what, but I could have probably gotten away w/o the pantyhose. The seeds kind of glommed together, and were larger than the holes of my strainer, anyway

> I know some people would not do this, but I added about 6-8 or so drops of lemon EO, as well as about 4 drops vanilla fragrance oil. I've been using KBB lately, so wasn't that worried about adding the lemon- and I love the scent. I did glug in about an ounce or so of LOTD AVG to help counteract the drying factor of the lemon EO.

> Finally, I added about 1/4- 1/2 tsp EACH of xanthum gum and citric acid, gradually. I beat it all together with a silicone whisk, and was ready to funnel into the prepared containers.

My gel did seem to be thicker than many posters' descriptions I'd read. It's my understanding that after straining the seeds, the gel can be returned to the pot and boiled awhile longer if you can tell you're going to want it thicker, or if you don't have or don't want to use xanthum gum. I will try that next time, but make sure any boiling or cooking was complete before adding the EOs or fragrance oils, just to be safe. Another idea would be to substitute pectin for the x.g.

Having read kathymack's post about combining her flaxseed and jojoba gels, I had already decided that I would split this batch of FSG, and experiment with different additives and combination ratios after cooking. Here's how I broke it up:

#1- 2 oz of the straight FSG went into a pop top lid container

#2- I wanted to produce one spray gel from this batch, so I funnelled a 1 part LOTD to 2 parts FSG mixture into a 3 oz spray bottle

#3- In a second pop top bottle, I mixed 1 part jojoba with 2 parts FSG

#4- I mixed the remaining FSG into my jojoba gel container; it ended up being about a 50/50 mixture

All four mixtures gave a good hold (particularly #4), but my favorites were actually the spray and straight FSG- probably because I'm thinking my hair isn't all that fond of vegetable glycerine.

A lot of people wouldn't want to fuss so much over a simple gel, but I enjoyed it. I'm waiting on a large order from MMS.com, so I'll probably be posting some new recipes soon.

Hope this helps someone!

:)
Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.

Comments

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    You have inspired me to revisit FSG, and now I'm really curious about the quasi-[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], because my tub is almost empty and I'm cheap... This thread is great, thank you for sharing all the info. :toothy10:
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Interesting, you'll have to keep us posted. I want to use up what I have and then I'll be experimenting again, too.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    Sounds really interesting- I really enjoy making Flaxseed gel, and hadnt heard of the homemade KCC so will be checking that out next. My last batch of gel I added pure aloe vera to, from Aubrey O, which has a little preservative in and it has lasted longer, my hair seems to like it anyway. I will buy some of my own grapefruit extract in the future to play around with preserving it more. I want to create a mixture that can be kept out of the fridge for a week. Im also going to try freezing some batches.
  • goldengoatgoldengoat Posts: 1Registered Users
    sorry to be lame, but what is LOTD??
    I made the flax seed gel with a few additives yesterday and tried it today, and so far I am liking it. I am going to try the aloe/glyc/jojoba recipe today, too.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    goldengoat wrote: »
    sorry to be lame, but what is LOTD??
    I made the flax seed gel with a few additives yesterday and tried it today, and so far I am liking it. I am going to try the aloe/glyc/jojoba recipe today, too.

Lily of the Dessert. It doesn't have any preservative or thickeners--has to be refrigerated after opening.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just feel like bumping
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • kazza186kazza186 Posts: 87Registered Users
    Can we bump this again? I wanna here the results of all those different mixes! Its like starting a movie and never getting to see the end!! :shaking:
    nz cg
    2a/fine/medium porous/NO elasticity/medium
    co-wash: ???
    rinse-out: ????
    HG combo: Boots curl cream, BB's fsg

http://public.fotki.com/kazza186/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file