product application and scrunching

mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
This is a weird question, but in your hair care routine, how wet is your hair when you apply gel/mousse to it? Do you do it straight out of the shower, or give it a few minutes to dry? Do you squeeze it out with a towel first, etc.?
:happy10:
fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
CGish since 10-16-08
Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Sopping, dripping, soaking wet.

I don't get rid of any excess water whatsoever and I only scrunch while I have a squishy sound.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I comb, gently squeeze out some water, and then apply. I would say I apply my last product (usually RR or HE TT)soaking but not dripping wet.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I apply my 9 year old daughter's products (2a-b hair) when her hair is sopping wet. She stands in the shower and I apply it. I use either a Curlease or very fine MF towel (not too thick) to scrunch it. If it looks like it needs it, I may scrunch in a little bit more product.

And by the way ... it wasn't a weird question at all ... It wasn't until I read everyone's methods here that I realized I wasn't applying my products properly. If I wait to add product to my hair, frizz will come. If I wait to add product to my daughter's hair, it'll go flat and greasy looking.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    Yeah, I was definitely doing it wrong. I was waiting for it to start drying a bit and springing up on its own. It wasn't working very well. It works much better when I apply it with my hair very wet - I get much better clumping that way.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • angela3213angela3213 Posts: 74Registered Users
    When my hair was completely natural it had to be completely, soaking, dripping wet before I added product. It took over an hour to dry. And it had to be soaked again every day to look nice for that day. It became extremely annoying especially during winter. Now I have a relaxer so I can squeeze almost all the water out of my hair before I add my product. Now it takes about 20 minutes to dry.
    About once a week - Condition with Curls Milkshake. Comb in Kinky Curly Leave In Conditioner & Kinky Curly Curling Custard after squeezing most of the water out of my hair. Use table top dryer for 10 minutes. Use diffuser for 10 minutes.
    Daily - Lightly wet hair. Comb in a little Kinky Curly Curling Custard if needed. Use table top dryer for a few minutes or let air dry.
    Shampoo - Only before straightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file