New member seeking product advice

lucky_dlucky_d Posts: 19Registered Users
Hi everyone. I have studied the hair types and I think I am a 2c. By the other hair typing standard, I think I am a 2cFii. I'm extremely wavy on the outside with big heavy waves, with tighter waves underneath and a few spirals way underneath. It gets curlier the deeper in you go.

I also have weirdly colored hair. It's basically dark brown but half of it is blonde. I currently have highlighted it all blonde because I was tired of being so multicolored, even though some people thought it was "unique".

Anyway, my routine is as follows:

Wash 2-3 times/wk with Giovanni 50/50
Condition after each wash with Bed Head Moisture Maniac
Occasionally condition only, but usually just wash and condition every third day or so.
Ouidad climate control gel or Paul Mitchell Round trip
combo of air and diffuser drying
Finish with Biosilk silk treatment for shine and anti-frizz (rub a few drops between hands and apply with fingertips)

The main thing is that I can't have a lot of heavy product on my hair or it gets gunky immediately. I have a very thick head of hair but it is all pretty fine in texture, so anything weighs it down. I can't use leave-in condish for this reason.

I'm looking for recommendations on deep condish treatments AND for something to replace the Biosilk. I was thinking of trying [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] or Curly Custard but wasn't sure if they would be right to use in that way. The Biosilk works ok for anti-frizz, but it doesn't do much for curl definition or holding the style. Also, the smell is way overpowering.

Any advice you could give would be great!

Comments

• CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Posts: 158Registered Users
    Welcome to the boards! Have you thought about going CG? Basically this means eliminating all silicones (cones) and sulfates in products. The Biosilk is loaded with cones and these cause buildup in hair making it gunky as you described. The Biosilk serum is not meant to be a curl enhancer, just a serum that provides shine and tames frizz. However, the problem with this is that the cones build up and you need a harsh sulfate shampoo to get rid of it. I'm not certain about the Paul Mitchell, but many of his products are filled with cones and harsh ingredients. I'd recommend using a sulfate shampoo one last time to get rid of the cones and then trying CG. This will bring out more of your curls/waves and your hair will become healthier and likely more uniform. You can find more info. about this in the going shampoo-less forum and by just reading around on here. Also, Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey is the book that started the CG craze. Good luck.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

pw: wavy

Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights

• miggy0801miggy0801 Posts: 26Registered Users
    you and your hair look beautiful!

going CG seems to work well for alot of people here. I'm currently still experimenting with it.
  • lucky_dlucky_d Posts: 19Registered Users
    Hey thanks for the replies! Yes, I have done CG before with the "no poo" routine, but after awhile it just got so dull and lifeless. I finally caved in and used poo and it looked so shiny and much healthier. Now, I just try to use as little poo as possible and not use any sulfates. The 50/50 shampoo seems to get rid of any buildup and maybe since I don't use very much of the Biosilk it doesn't build up so much.

This morning I did find something in my trove of past hair care that seemed to work as well as the Biosilk but without the horrendous smell...I dug out some Matrix smoothing serum. Much less smelly and plenty of shine. I don't know what it has in it though.

Actually I'm having a really good hair day today. I used the MM condish only to wash and condition, then Paul Mitchell round trip (the ingredients look okay but I'm no expert...it seems very similar to Ouidad Climate Control but with less crispiness and less definition). I diffused it about halfway, then went grocery shopping while it was drying the rest by itself. When I came home I smoothed it a bit with the smoothing serum. Looks great!

Overall I am very happy with my hair. It's getting much easier to manage the longer it gets and it's not going in every different direction. I don't really want tight curls. I would love to have loose waves (like Sheryl Crow). It may be possible once it's grown out a bit more.

My only wish is for a finishing product that imparts shine, reduces frizz but also has a little hold to it so that the waves stay in place more.
    I'm glad you had a good hair day - that's always very exciting!

One of the popular "finishing" products around here is Jane Carter Nourish & Shine. It is like a pomade but a little goes a LONG way. I used it to scrunch out the crunch for a while. Another popular brand is KBB. They have a butter and a cream that are good for taming frizzies and giving a nice shine. The products can only be ordered online though through:
    www.karensbodybeautiful.com
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair

Currently using:

CaliforniaWavy: I notice these products you recommend are mainly different types of oil mixtures. I wonder if they would be similar to sweet almond oil. I did try that awhile back and did not get good results. It seemed to really flatten my whole hair, took away the volume of it. And I could not get a second day at all. I ended up using it as a body oil, which worked out great and now I use it like that all the time but it didn't do much for my hair.

Do you think your recommended products would be oily like that or are they different?
    I have never tried the almond oil, but I am going to say that I think they would be different. The KBB products are very well formulated and while my hair tends to get weighed down (wavy curls fall flat mid-day), this has not happened with the KBB products. They are very natural products and MANY people have had great success with them. There is a very large thread with over 450 posts about it out there. I use a very small amount of either the cream or the butter as my finishing product. I rub it between my hands and then scrunch it in upside down. I also use them mid-day to tame the frizzies. Hope that helps.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair

Currently using:

Just wanted to clarify that when I said a small amount, I mean tiny teeny. I can use a bit more of the cream than the butter, but still I use only about a 1/2 pea-sized amount of the cream. A little goes a long way.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair

Currently using:

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    lucky_d : is there a thread or link you used to figure out your other hair typing? I have heard a bit about but can never seem to find it no matter how many searches I do.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
    Curlywurly: Yes, I got it a few threads down from here in the post titled "2c?"

I went there and copied the link for you:

http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html

It seems a bit more detailed than the one here.
    Have any of y'all tried "Tweek"? I'm thinking of maybe trying that and/or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink].

The KBB stuff sounds divine, but I think what I am looking for is more of a styling product rather than a nourishing product.
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Just got mine 3 days ago. LOVE the results. I don't need any other styling products.
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
    Natural2A: No other styling products? Wow, that would be amazing. No gel even?

Do you use the Tweek in your hair when it's wet or dry? I was hoping to be able to use it after it was dry to kinda "tweek" it. Do you think that would work?
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    thanks lucky_d
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lucky_d wrote: »
    Do you use the Tweek in your hair when it's wet or dry? I was hoping to be able to use it after it was dry to kinda "tweek" it. Do you think that would work?

I've not used Tweek, but it is meant to be used on dry hair. Look for the video on this page: http://www.frizzoff.com/

whatsercurl uses Tweek, and I know she likes it. :)

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
    After careful consideration, I decided to order [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink], Tweek, and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine.

I'm going to try to get rid of all cones. I don't use a lot of cone product, so I haven't noticed any buildup but I do think that it has dried out my hair. I'm hoping the Nourish & Shine will help to re-moisturize it while it is recovering from the cones I have been using.

I also got Samy I'm Twisted spray gel this weekend and have already started using that instead of the Paul Mitchell Round Trip for gel. So far, I think I am liking it. It feels a bit dry, but I think when I smooth it out with the Nourish & Shine it should be about perfect.

Thanks to all for your input!
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Yep, I only use the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (when sopping wet, before using the Curlease towel). Then either diffuse or air dry. Then scrunch out the crunch. Some days I don't need the tweek. Some days I have a little fluffy flyaway and need it. It goes on dry hair. I have found that the more you work it in the better it works. Kind of the opposite of "don't touch your hair when it is wet." Hope that helps.

I am currently, however, trying to figure out if I might be allergic to one of these products. It would either be the Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner or the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]. I did a lot of ingredient searching tonight, and I must say that I hope it is the Suave and not the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] - I love that stuff! And glycerin is in everything...including KY jelly...
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch

Leave a Comment