CurlTalk

Sleeping with wet hair

LadyLboogieLadyLboogie Posts: 109Registered Users
i read a lot of you ladies washing and styling your hair at night but how do you sleep on it when its wet. In the past when i have slept on wet hair i never got a good nights sleep and my hair is still wet in the morning, not just damp.

Comments

• momo7momo7 Posts: 478Registered Users
    I had the same problem and hated it. Now after I wash my hair, I put it in about 8-12 braids. Then, I put a satin scarf over that then wrap a towel around my head then go to sleep.
  • LadyLboogieLadyLboogie Posts: 109Registered Users
    momo7 wrote: »
    I had the same problem and hated it. Now after I wash my hair, I put it in about 8-12 braids. Then, I put a satin scarf over that then wrap a towel around my head then go to sleep.

yep, i sleep in a towel also, but still wake up wet.:banghead:
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    I can't sleep well with wet hair either, not unless I'm doing a DT, but even then it's uncomfortable. Plus, my hair looks horrible when I wake - perhaps it's still too short to try this:dontknow:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
    momo7 wrote: »

yep, i sleep in a towel also, but still wake up wet.:banghead:

it's normal to be damp when u take the towel off but is yours wet or damp when u wake up? what products do you use in your hair? and do u style it under the towel?
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    I have an idea that may help.

What I do with my hair is wash it at night, apply the styling products i'll use on it. Then, I finger comb it back, so that if I shake my hair it'll fall back into place and not be stuck straight back (like if you brushed it).

Then I (don't laugh!) wrap my hair with saran wrap until it's fully covered and the saran wrap is no longer see through. Afterwards, I tie a satin scarf over the saran wrap.

My hair has not once leaked through the saran wrap and my pillow remains dry. I sleep like normal.

In the morning my hair is damp (not wet) but it allows me to make any minor adjustments I need to (in regards to styling) and go!

It's a bit ghetto (lol) but it works!
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    Naya wrote: »
    Then I (don't laugh!) wrap my hair with saran wrap until it's fully covered and the saran wrap is no longer see through. Afterwards, I tie a satin scarf over the saran wrap.

I would LOVE to see a picture of this!!! LMAO :toothy10:

I wash my hair, put it in a ponytail, braid it, and sleep with a towel on the pillow. When I wake up my hair will still be damp, but I guess I've gotten used to it.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

cool idea Naya. I used to use a plastic cap instead. I think LadyL wants to know how to wake up w/ dry hair though.
    mariag002 wrote: »

I would LOVE to see a picture of this!!! LMAO :toothy10:

I wash my hair, put it in a ponytail, braid it, and sleep with a towel on the pillow. When I wake up my hair will still be damp, but I guess I've gotten used to it.

I actually have pics on my camera but I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet. LOL :)

P.S.

You were NOT supposed to laugh! hehehe
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2FRizadaMinicana" class="Popup
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    If you wash it earlier in the evening so that it has some drying time before going to bed, would that help?

Or do you diffuse your hair at all? If so, if you partially diffuse before going to bed, would it be dry in the morning?

Or how about overnight plopping? Do 3c/4a's plop? I'm planning to try that myself, though I haven't yet.

Mine's a different texture and maybe longer than ya'll's, but I can wash mine, apply product, scrunch out the worst of the water and then go to bed with the length of the hair spread out behind me on the pillow. Unless I toss around a lot, I usually have nice, dry curls in the morning.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    thanks all for replying. i have tried sleeping on wet hair for DT, twists or plopping with hardly any product for wash and go hair. Now that winter is upon us, i was trying not to have another year of walking out the house with damp hair. my hair when dry reaches my shoulders on a good styling day and is mid-back i guess if i pull it straight.

Auntnett, i am going to take your suggestion and do my hair earlier in the night, so it has time to air dry before i go to sleep. Guess i shouldn't procrastinate. :icon_smile:

thanks for the suggestions, thus far.......Naya, i cant wait to see a picture. i will try saran wrap for my next overnight DT! though i am sure the hubby will be fussing that i am bringing the kitchen into the bathroom again to make a salad for my hair.
    No laughing ladies! hehehehe

Front:
    DSCF1235-vi.jpg
    Back:
    DSCF1236-vi.jpg

Morning Result:
    DSCF1238-vi.jpg

I just took it off and shook my hair out in t his pic.

Fine, go ahead and laugh, lol:toothy10:
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • va_candiva_candi Posts: 849Registered Users
    No laughing ladies! hehehehe

Front:
    DSCF1235-vi.jpg
    Back:
    DSCF1236-vi.jpg

Morning Result:
    DSCF1238-vi.jpg

I just took it off and shook my hair out in t his pic.

Fine, go ahead and laugh, lol:toothy10:

You might be on to something! My hair has never looked this nice upon waking.
    wow naya, that's a lot of saran wrap!:toothy10: but i will try it.
    Last night i conditioner washed and rinsed and then applied more conditioner and put my hair in two ponytails (for buns in the morning) with a scarf. I didnt sleep with the towel wrapped around my head but instead on the pillow. My hair is noticeably drier. Thanks
  • keepitmovin2.0keepitmovin2.0 Posts: 653Registered Users
    If there is such as thing as plopping while in braids, I guess that's what you could call what I do. I apply the qhemet and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Set-it-Free-p-259.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-set-it-free]devacurl set it free[/buylink], braid it up into 5-10 braids and wrap it in a towel for 10-20 mins or until I'm ready to climb into bed. At that time, I tie on my scarf and it doesn't feel like wet head to me anymore. In the AM, my hair is only slightly damp...as in it's usually dry before I leave the house and I have hella thick hair.
    Currently using:

Poo: CON Sulfate Free poo
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: CJAOO Daily Cond
    Styler: KCCC sparingly and Ampro Olive Oil Gel where needed
    DT: KBB Lucious Locks Mask + EVOO/Avocado
  • svetikisvetiki Posts: 85Registered Users
    I normally just squeeze my hair our real good, blot a good few times with an old t-shirt, throw some product in there then put it up in some twists or a bun. I don't sleep with a scarf or anything, just a pillow. When i wake up my hair is normally dry.
    3c/4a in the front, 4b in the back, with a few sprinkles of 3c in random spots.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmyspace.com%2Fkielyki" class="Popup
  • curlynyricancurlynyrican Posts: 134Registered Users
    I only do my hair at night (I'd rather sleep in the morning)! On nights when I'm not doing anything after work, I'll get home and co wash and style usally around 7pm. When bed time comes around 12:30- 1am I'll be partially dry so I'll diffuse for a few minutes before going to sleep with a satin cap on. In the AM the steam from the shower usually puffs up my curls, then I'll scrunch with some oil (olive, jojoba, avacado or coconut) and go! This has been my routine for the last year and It works great. Except on the weeks when I have something planned most nights then I have to rock the pony puff for a few days! :wink:
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Posts: 1,632Banned Users
    Yea... I can't sleep with wet hair.
    eIZWI.gif
    :love10:
  • toofrizzytoofrizzy Posts: 154Registered Users
    I only do my hair at night (I'd rather sleep in the morning)! On nights when I'm not doing anything after work, I'll get home and co wash and style usally around 7pm. When bed time comes around 12:30- 1am I'll be partially dry so I'll diffuse for a few minutes before going to sleep with a satin cap on. In the AM the steam from the shower usually puffs up my curls, then I'll scrunch with some oil (olive, jojoba, avacado or coconut) and go! This has been my routine for the last year and It works great. Except on the weeks when I have something planned most nights then I have to rock the pony puff for a few days! :wink:

Just wanted to say i've just checked out your fotki and your hair is gorgeous - how I'd like mine to look when it grows long enough - how long did it take you to grow it to that length??
  • curlynyricancurlynyrican Posts: 134Registered Users
    toofrizzy wrote: »
    Just wanted to say i've just checked out your fotki and your hair is gorgeous - how I'd like mine to look when it grows long enough - how long did it take you to grow it to that length??

Wow thank you! It's been over 3 years since I last relaxed my hair. I did a very gradual transition opting instead for several small chops rather that one big chop. I just could not part with my hair even if it was damaged lol! Hang in there! I have never regretted going natural!
  • shakeshake Posts: 404Registered Users
    i can't stand having wet hair so i wash at night. i wrap in a towel for about 15 minutes (long enough for me to lotion up, wash face, brush teeth, etc) then apply products and put on a satin scarf. my scarfs are huge, enough to cover all of my hair.
  • sistahmaryisissistahmaryisis Posts: 157Registered Users
    I just perfected my nightime routine. I wash my hair whenever I get home (that is if I don't plan on going back out) . . . then I sit around and let it air dry until it's time for me to go to sleep. I then use two of those metal duckbill clips to pin the sides up and back (I sleep on my side so when I do this it doesn't flatten the curls as bad). After this I put on my satin sleep cap and call it a night. In the morning
    I smooth in a small bit of either Chi Silk infusion or QP Mango butter (focusing on the back, because it usually needs the least bit of work in the mornings) . . . lightly mist with water all over and scrunch in some gel or mousse in the front (and in the back if needed) and go. I do this every night . . . whether I co-wash or just re-wet. It's been working GREAT for me.
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    OK... Someone else posted this, but I forget which section it was in. I wash my hair at night, and I hate having drenched hair when I sleep. I used to just put my hair up and deal with it, but this has helped me cut down the drying time:

Once I get out of the shower, I'll put my product in (a light amount) and then I lay on my bed with my head hanging off. (Just the base of my head and my neck are on the edge.) I put a towel down on the bed and on the floor, and I let my hair drip dry for about 10 minutes. For some reason, my hair is drying a LOT faster and sometimes I don't even have to style it. It just dries well with good definition.

Now, my hair won't be dry when I sit up, but it really helps cut down the drying time. HTH!
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQuirkyYogini%2F" class="Popup

• CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    I always wash my hair at night which is once a week.I put my products in and put in a long braid and bobbypin it to the top of my head.I then put a doo-rag on it and a satin cap(because I saturate my hair in castor oil) and sleep on my special towel,and it's fine by AM.The braid is still wet but it's not dripping with oil or anything.This works for me if I leave my hair up which I do 99% of the time.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 884Registered Users
    Since this is perfected I'll ask you!! Do you put all your styling products in at night?? And when you say you pin teh sides and back, how do you do that exactly?? Those duckbill clips don't grab much of my hair before they fall out, so I was wondering which way /direction you pin those up and then you say you put them in your sleep cap. Those duckbill clips don't rip your satin bonnet? I have a silk bonnet and I"m scared those things will rip a hole in my bonnet.

Then in the morning, you put ni some oils, water, and finally gel as the last product and head out?? Just wondering about the duck bill clips and if you put products in at night and then a bit in the morning?
    I just perfected my nightime routine. I wash my hair whenever I get home (that is if I don't plan on going back out) . . . then I sit around and let it air dry until it's time for me to go to sleep. I then use two of those metal duckbill clips to pin the sides up and back (I sleep on my side so when I do this it doesn't flatten the curls as bad). After this I put on my satin sleep cap and call it a night. In the morning
    I smooth in a small bit of either Chi Silk infusion or QP Mango butter (focusing on the back, because it usually needs the least bit of work in the mornings) . . . lightly mist with water all over and scrunch in some gel or mousse in the front (and in the back if needed) and go. I do this every night . . . whether I co-wash or just re-wet. It's been working GREAT for me.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • curlycubana87curlycubana87 Posts: 9Registered Users
    I very rarely wash/cowash my hair at night, and if I do I plop for a few minutes and then braid or twist them. Other than that I was in the mornings and wear my hair pony tailed or down for an air dry.
    I don't like sleeping with wet hair, my pillows and blankets get all wet and it's not comfy. Plaits aren't so bad when wet cos it's sectioned.
  • Livvydivvy96Livvydivvy96 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I recently found out that bagging my hair after a wash, then sleeping with it keeps my curls in tack.
    I just wash, apply a leave in or gel then put a plastic cap on and tie a scarf or something over it. In the morning my hair is still damp so my curls still look nice and I can do any extra styling if I need to(: