Henna root touch ups

MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
It's about that time...

I really like the color I have on the length of my hair, so I don't want to re-henna EVERYTHING... I just want to make my roots match so I don't look as silly as I currently do :P

Does anyone have any tips for this, specifically related to henna? I've done root touchups with dyes before, but henna just behaves so differently... I'm not sure my 'techniques' will really work.

I'm also a bit concerned about making sure it matches/blends in with the rest of my hair... eep, help! lol
CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I've done my root touch-ups just like I would with a regular dye. I think the blending in is very forgiving. Not the exact color, but not a harsh streak, either.

My problem is my ends were very porous from prior chemical dyes, so they soaked up the henna differently from how my roots are currently absorbing the henna. My roots have lots of virgin grays.

I think one of the best tips I have read is to do your roots frequently -- not wait 4-6 weeks like you would with regular dye. This is especially helpful if it took multiple all-over henna treatments to get the color you wanted. I think redcatwaves mentioned she tries to do her roots weekly. I'm trying to do mine at least every 3 weeks.

It's not as time consuming when you just do the roots and rinse out is easier. If you do it frequently, too, you don't have to worry too much about missing a spot. If you miss a spot, you're bound to get it the next time you do a touch-up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you!

Luckily, I got my color after 1 treatment (and only hours of it on my hair as well) so it should be pretty easy to blend/match.

It's been about 4 weeks... I think I'll try to do it more frequently like you suggested from now on. For some reason, I thought it might be easier to to if my roots are a bit longer, but now that it's time to try, that seems silly. lol

oh well. we'll see what happens!
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always just do full-head apps still-my virgin hair is coming in so dark, that the henna'd ends look pale in comparison, so I don't mind layering more color on the bottom as well. But I've read that an easy way to do roots is to divide hair in a few sections and make loose braids. Then use a color applicator bottle or brush to apply just to the root area on the braids and massage it in. Again, I never tried it, but some say it's an easy way to apply just to that root area...good luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file