Could I be curly? Newbie!!

SarahBSarahB Posts: 2Registered Users
Hiya,

I followed a link here from someone who is going to try the "No-Poo" method and I got reading the "Before & After" thread and am amazed!!

Some of the wavies on the thread had proper curls after going CG so I was wondering if it could work for me?

This is a (bad) picture taken today:
DSCF8090.jpg

It's naturally dark mousy and I went from blonde (which I had been for 35 years, first natural then bottle!!) to brunette this summer. I have a couple of chunks of blonde still.

My hair was washed 48hrs ago and then straightened using GHD irons. It's usually more wavy than this and if I leave it to dry naturally after washing is much wavier and often a bit frizzy too.

I think I am type 2a? I'd like to try the shampoo-less routine so wondered if anyone has tips/product recommendations?

I am in the UK and have just Googled and don't think I can get Deva products over here.

Many thanks....

Sarah :0)

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's really pretty impossible to tell your type if you did in fact use a straightening iron on your hair before you took this picture :) If I posted up a pic of my hair post-straightener, everyone would think I was a 1 :P

I'd say you're a 2A based on this, but it would be good to wash it, and let it dry naturally for another pic, just to be sure :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I agree.
  • SarahBSarahB Posts: 2Registered Users
    Ok, will do - straightened 48hrs ago, not today.

I used to wash my hair twice a week but have found lately that I'm having to do it increasingly more often as the top gets greasy and lank. Have been wondering if the harsh detergents in shampoo have been partly to blame....
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    yep, more than likely. The more often you strip your hair of all it's natural oils (IE, the more often you shampoo) the faster your hair will get greasy, as it tries to make up for all the missing oil.

If you're looking to stop that cycle, and possibly get more curl, CG is definitely the way to go. Some people have a bit of an adjustment period where their hair's a bit greasy while it atunes to the conditioner instead of the shampoo, but ultimately it's much better for your hair.

As for the straightening...I don't know about yours, but once I straighten my hair it stays preeeeeetty staight until I wash it again. I'm really interested to see what yours looks like natural :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since you have wave even after straightening, you probably have more waves, or even curls, just waiting to be set free with better care. Give the CG method a try. You don't have to use Deva products, a silicone free drugstore conditioner would probably work just fine. Maybe other UK curlies will chime in with specific recs for you. Your hair is most likely dried out from straightening, coloring, and using harsh sulfate shampoos. As it becomes more moisturized, those wavy curls should come out of hiding. Here's a site with info on the CG method:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair#_ref-0
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file