Help! I've hit a plateau

hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
Alright, I believe that I have officially hit a plateau. I exercise regularly. My typical week is:

Sunday: Run 3 1/2 miles
MOnday: 1 Hr step class, 1 hr body pump (weightlifting)
Wednesday: Run 3 1/2 miles, 1 hr body pump
Friday: 1 Hr step class

I have been watching my diet, limiting my carbs eating veggies etc for the past month or so. Healthy snacks..etc.

I am in terrific shape. The scales are not moving in (either direction.) I don't feel like I can add any more exercise, when I try, I find myself injured. I can't eat any less... I don't want/need to loose a lot, I'd just like to deflab my tummy and thighs... and I know it requires entire body treatment.

So, what do I need to do to get over this hump? Suggestions please...
Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl

Comments

• LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    How long has it been since the scale hasn't moved? I'm pretty sure a plateau is categorized by at least 6 weeks of staying at the same weight.

Now, that being asked--even if the scale isn't going down, are your clothes fitting better? If so, you are losing inches/fat--which is key! Sometimes your scale weight isn't the best indicator of getting fit and healthy.

If you haven't lost weight in over 6 weeks, and aren't losing inches, it may be time to mix up your exercise routine. Our bodies adapt to a routine VERY quickly, so it's imperative to change things up after a while.

So maybe instead of step class, try spinning. Instead of running 3.5 miles, try fast walking and sprinting intervals. Instead of body pump, do a Power Yoga class. Things like that.

Good luck!
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Registered Users Posts: 4,812
    Sounds to me like what you needs is a little bit of old fashioned weight lifting in there. You're getting a ton of cardio, which is awesome, but muscle tone is really going to come from weight training.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    Sounds to me like what you needs is a little bit of old fashioned weight lifting in there. You're getting a ton of cardio, which is awesome, but muscle tone is really going to come from weight training.

Body Pump is weight lifting choreographed to music. It's the only way I like to lift.
    CK is the one!!

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

• hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    LAwoman wrote: »
    How long has it been since the scale hasn't moved? I'm pretty sure a plateau is categorized by at least 6 weeks of staying at the same weight.

Now, that being asked--even if the scale isn't going down, are your clothes fitting better? If so, you are losing inches/fat--which is key! Sometimes your scale weight isn't the best indicator of getting fit and healthy.

If you haven't lost weight in over 6 weeks, and aren't losing inches, it may be time to mix up your exercise routine. Our bodies adapt to a routine VERY quickly, so it's imperative to change things up after a while.

So maybe instead of step class, try spinning. Instead of running 3.5 miles, try fast walking and sprinting intervals. Instead of body pump, do a Power Yoga class. Things like that.

Good luck!

Ok, I hope that mixing it up will help... I'll do what I can.
    CK is the one!!

• BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Registered Users Posts: 1,078
    Yeah, I was going to suggest doing something different as well. You have to continually mix it up, so that your body stays challenged. Have you gone up on weights recently in body pump? Maybe it's time to try something heavier if you haven't moved it up in a while.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file