Homemade KCCC (jojoba gel) question..

KindaWavyKindaWavy Registered Users Posts: 383
I decided to whip up a batch of jojoba gel while waiting for my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] to arrive- I'm soooo impatient! I didn't have any grapefruit seed extract or any other natural preservatives on hand, so I'm wondering if I need to refrigerate (due to the LOTD). Also, how long can I expect the mixture to hold if I refrigerate, and if I don't?

The following is the recipe I used. I believe GypsyCurl did a youtube vid on it (thanks to GC, should you read this).

* 4 oz LOTD AVG
* 1 oz jojoba oil
* 1 oz vegetable glycerine
* a little over 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

I added a few drops each of musk and vanilla oil because the smell wasn't doing it for me.

My apologies if this has already been asked and answered; I tried to find the answer in previous threads, but apparently I fail at the search function.

ETA: What does [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] smell like, btw?
Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.

Comments

• OperaCurlsOperaCurls Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    http://public.fotki.com/opera-curls/ (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I've wrote this in my recipe journal a long time ago and never got around to making it. Since I'm on a quest for more natural curl enhancers, I did it this morning. I added some natural preservatives. Antiseptic EOs rosemary and lavender--3 drops per oz. I also added a little citric acid and 1/4 t Vit E. I kept a few oz as is and added some to my homemade flax seed gel and added an infusion of herbs along with a little more xanthum gum. I think I'm going to try the combo gel when I go up to do my hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Registered Users Posts: 383

Ooh, sugar cookies! Sounds right up my alley!

I wish my "real" [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] would arrive because I'm leery of the texture I came up with; I think maybe I added a bit too much xanthum gum.

Anyhoo, I just got out of the tub, split my hair in sections, and combed the "quasi [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]" through with my Denman. It felt pretty stiff and sticky-more so than I'm used to, so I put a few puddles of LOTD in my palms, and scrunched it around. Not satisfied with that, I added maybe 1/2 oz LOTD to the mixture, stirred, and used a small amount to scrunch my ends. I feel like it's gonna take ages to dry, but I'm in my first plop right now, so we'll see how it goes.

I forgot to mention the most important part! My hair definitely seems curlier, part of which I must attribute to the use of Bragg's ACV and KBB. BUT I can definitely see more ringlet type formation and clumpage, and being a 2B when I started CG, I've never gotten much in the way of clumpage- so I'm excited to see the end result. If it'll ever dry! LOL
    kathymack wrote: »
    I've wrote this in my recipe journal a long time ago and never got around to making it. Since I'm on a quest for more natural curl enhancers, I did it this morning. I added some natural preservatives. Antiseptic EOs rosemary and lavender--3 drops per oz. I also added a little citric acid and 1/4 t Vit E. I kept a few oz as is and added some to my homemade flax seed gel and added an infusion of herbs along with a little more xanthum gum. I think I'm going to try the combo gel when I go up to do my hair.

Cooking up some flaxseed gel is on my list for today. I'm interested to see what you think about the jojoba/flax combo.

I am still curious as to how long my jojoba will hold w/no preservatives, and if it's necessary to refrigerate since I had no natural preservatives on hand.

It only dawns on me now that I DO have some citric acid; a sweet and knowledgeable swapper included a bit in an order I made recently ;) Should I make a solution and add it to my homemade jojoba, or just sprinkle and stir? Does anyone have any idea what the "recipe" or ratio would be (I've probably got about 6-7 oz jojoba gel)?

TIA!
    pw=hairhairhair

I reported on the other thread, but I like the combination a lot. It will need to be used more. I put 1/4t of citric acid in my batch along with the Vit E and EOs of rosemary and lavender.

The woman in the video did suggest refrigerating it. I made flax seed last Spring and didn't use preservative. It went bad in the refrigerator in about two weeks.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Registered Users Posts: 383
    Now that I've (finally) got a dry head, I'm not sure what to think about this concoction..

When I came out of the plop, I was thinking it could be HG- spirals and curls the likes of which my head has never seen- without the use of my handy-dandy curling iron, that is. Then, as I got closer to dry, I had CRUNCH the likes of which I'd never seen- ever. I diffused just a bit to be dry enough to SOTC with the teensiest bit of KBB (cream, I think- butter would've been way too much). I imagine that if I could deal with a bit of a wet look, I'd have been in good shape because the curls are great, if a little weighed down. But I can't deal with anything like a wet look- it just makes me think of unfinished and oily, stringy hair; maybe because I'm blonde- I dunno.

One thing about this experiment that I am sure of: I used waaay too much of it. I've never used jojoba or vegetable glycerine in my hair, so it's possible that my hair doesn't like one or the other. It's also possible that adding the extra LOTD to the mixture AND a puddle or two to my head when I started worrying I'd added too much xanthum gum. I'd have taken a picture, if only to show the difference in the curl pattern, but the icky, greasy look at the crown is sending me straight back to the shower.

Anyone feel like venturing a guess as to which gaffe caused the most problems? I'll try using this again in a few days- in much smaller amounts! And maybe once I get my flaxseed gel made tonight, I'll add some of each together as kathymack mentioned.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the FSG. Back to the lab, again! heh..

ETA: I think I remember reading somewhere that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is one of those products that you can't use too much of, like CK. Is that the case, or am I confusing another product?
    pw=hairhairhair

You may have used too much xanthum gum. She cautioned about that in the video. I only used the listed 1/2t. She seemed to use way more than that. I had almost no crunch. One side was curlier than the other. I'm assuming user error. But I had volume and almost no frizz.

It's really windy here today. When I came home, my hair was really blown out and much frizzier. In the major KBB thread, Sairis mentioned she hadn't been able to do her hair in six days and put KBB milk on it. I did that. My hair tightened up a little, but all the frizz went away. I've done this before, but the change wasn't as remarkable. I won't be swapping any of my tubs of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] away, but I will pursue this. Maybe with a curl creme under it?
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhosyn_durhosyn_du Registered Users Posts: 99
    I thickened my mix by mixing in flax gel instead of xanthan gum and got barely any crunch even with another gel on top, so my guess would be the xanthan gum is the cluprit.
    2c, fine/medium with a few coarse grays, medium porosity, normal elasticity, protein-sensitive

Modified CG
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Shampoo
    RO: L'Oreal EverCurl Conditioner
    LOC: KCKT,
    Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, & Nightblooming Panacea or Freya Hair Salve
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Finishing Paste
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Registered Users Posts: 1,574 Curl Neophyte
    I have a question about this. I saw the video and thought about trying it, but since all I have on hand is the aloe juice, it might cost almost as much to just buy the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] before I go playing mad scientist.

Anyway, what I wonder is, since my hair hates curl cremes, would this be a waste of time for me to try? Or does [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] behave totally differently from "normal" curl cremes?

ETA: I lied. I have the veg glycerin on hand, too.
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    http://www.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is by no means a curl cream to me. It's somewhere between a gel and cream, and has much more hold than a cream along with much more moisture than a gel. It is extremely unique...
    I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for curl enhancement, but it's not a curl creme. I made this and mixed it with my homemade flaxseed gel along with some infused herbs. Yesterday, I didn't use enough. Today I used it with KBB nectar LI, a little Innersense QCCC and more evenly distributed homemade mixture. I had great curls and volume. I will keep using it. I'm not a big fan of jojoba, so I may use a different oil next time.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Got a hair cut and highlight on Wed. So I used a few squirts of KBB oil as my leave in today. I only like it, at all, on wet hair. I used the Flax/Jojoba Jel as my curl creme. With the shorter layers, I got great curl. I really like the way my hair looks, but I'm not sure I like the way it feels when I use the KBB oil--jury is still out on that one. My hair has dried completely--and it's great. My cut is about the length of my avatar with the curl pattern of my signature picture. It's very soft with excellent volume and no frizz. I'll be curious what happens when I go out in the world in a little while.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Registered Users Posts: 287
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is by no means a curl cream to me. It's somewhere between a gel and cream, and has much more hold than a cream along with much more moisture than a gel. It is extremely unique...

I agree. it is somewhere between a gel and a cream.

I said this before but
    I heard her speak at a workshop and she basically explained that the key to the Curling Custard and how it works
    is the marshmallow, the pectin and the agave.

Agave is like honey and it is moisturizing but it is also sticky. And pectin is what they make jelly with.
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
  • Raven CurlRaven Curl Registered Users Posts: 45
    Hi, I just wanted to add my experience with this recipe. I wasn't sure if it was going to work, so I divided the recipe into 1/2 of the original because I didn't have a lot of the ingredients to waste if it didn't work for me. Here is what I used:
    * 2 oz LOTD AVG
    * .5 (or 1 tbsp) oz jojoba oil
    * .5 (or 1 tbsp) oz vegetable glycerine
    * 1/4 + 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
    * 10 drops Lavender eo
    * 8 drops rosewater

It came out the same color as [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], but with a less 'snotty' consistency. I scrunched this into my hair with some HE body envy gel. My hair looks great, except that I really didn't need the extra gel. I had to scrunch the crunch out. So, next time, I won't use it.
    My DH liked the way my hair looked. He said it was "curlier." :toothy7:
    Hair Type: mix of 2c/3a

Modified CG
    Low poo-Organix Coconut
    Co Wash-Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave-In-Suave Naturals Coconut or Deva leave-in
    Styling-3 Sisters of Nature curling gelo, FSG, LA Looks sport gel
  • finallylikemyhairfinallylikemyhair Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    I made the jojoba gel and I got really bad flakes close to my scalp. I thought I read a thread somewhere where it said something about flakes, but I can't find it anywhere. Did somebody else have this problem and if so what can be done or what did I do wrong. I did the ingredients just like the lady on the video I only used 1/2 teaspoon zanthan gum.
    Please help because other than the flakes it worked great with my curls. My routine has been the shampoo bars from kathymack, and kbb both the milk as rinse out and nectar as leave in.
    3A hair.
    Use suave naturals to wash hair daily.
    Carol's Daughters Tui leave in conditioner
    protein treatment once a month
    got2be gel
  • JuanitaJuanita Registered Users Posts: 27
    This sounds lovely, can't wait to try it out!
    Where can I find xantham gum?
    Are there any suitable substitutes?

Well I tried it last week-end!! Unsure of the results, I did half of the recipe:

2oz aloe vera gel
    0.5 oz glycerin
    0.5 oz jojoba oil

The AVG I had was a gel (I think she uses the juice in her youtube video), so there seemed to be no need for the xanthan or pectin after all....

My hair looked great on that day, my hair was super soft, but I could already tell I was gonna be in trouble the next day! Sure enough, the next day = matted mess. The day after = nothing else to do but the pony puff.

I will give it another try, maybe use a leave-in and then put the homemade [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], cuz maybe it's just not enough for my hair on its own. Hopefully that will work better.
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I've got the stuff to do this at home so I'll make a couple of batches...

The original recipe -

* 4 oz LOTD AVG
    * 1 oz jojoba oil
    * 1 oz vegetable glycerine
    * a little over 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

My Batch A -

4 oz LOTD
    1 oz jojoba
    1 oz veg glycerine
    1/2 t xanthan gum
    1/2 t fruit pectin (which you can get in the canning section of the grocery store)
    4 drops Clove Oil
    3 drops Rosemary Oil
    3 drops Nag Champa

Batch B

4 oz LOTD
    1 oz flax seed oil
    1 oz veg glycerine
    1/4 t. xanthan gum
    1/2 t fruit pectin (which you can get in the canning section of the grocery store)
    4 drops Clove Oil
    3 drops Rosemary Oil
    3 drops Nag Champa

Flax seed oil should have more lignans in it and thus more holding power. The EO's are chosen because of their antibacterial and antifungal properties.

I won't get to do it this weekend, but I will try to do it next weekend and post back to let you know how it works out.
  • AphroDivaAphroDiva Registered Users Posts: 183
    Hey ladies, this is similar to my recipe. I think 100% Pure Aloe gel will add a nice hold. It does to me. You can order a plant online (they are pretty cheap) and will grow fast.
  • nicoletinicoleti Registered Users Posts: 15
    I tried a slightly tweaked version:

4 parts FOTE Aloe Gel
    1 part Jojoba
    1 part Agave Nectar
    some Lavender EO for scent

I did not use any thickener or preservative b/c of the FOTE and it has been holding up well (it's been about 2 weeks).

So far I really like it for curl formation, but I am still working on how much to use because it tends to make my hair look greasy (probably from the jojoba). I am going to try using less of the concoction, but next time I may just ease off on the jojoba.

Has anyone tried this with agave? Or compared the results between using glycerin and agave?
    3a F/M ii low/normal porosity
    dark brown/slightly past shoulder length hair

• crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098
    what are the cooking directions ?

Thanks
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405
    :wave: Hey all!

Will someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what this means: "4 oz LOTD AVG" :confused: ??
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice

Will someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what this means: "4 oz LOTD AVG" :confused: ??

LOTD AVG= lily of the dessert aloe vera gel (brand of aloe vera gel-edible)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Registered Users Posts: 2,098

Here's the link for the acronyms
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=74759
  • dandydandy Registered Users Posts: 346 Curl Novice
    what is this video you talk of, i am curious as to the cooking directions also :)
    2c/3a ? fine/medium iii- tons of it! FL. Suave, TTNG, CJDF co wash, GDLI
    HG- FSG, CK, ReCoil, Aldi shique gelee, ACV, ccclite or fsg 4 2nd day sotc:JCNS
    curl journalhttp://www.britishcurlies.co.uk/curl_forum/viewthread/977/ :bounce:
    event.png

Badge001.jpg
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Registered Users Posts: 1,540 Curl Novice
    This particular gel recipe, you don't cook. You just mix all the ingredients and it is supposed to thicken after it sits. :)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405

Here's the link for the acronyms
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=74759

LMAO, now you know I needed that. :wink:
    Thank you dearly!!
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
    so how are people still liking these recipes? Are you still using them? I was thinking of making a batch. :)
    event.png

Badge001.jpg
    Nope. Products I buy are MUCH better, except for my homemade FSG.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    event.png

Badge001.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file