Help! Hair thinning especially around temples!

NORE1228NORE1228 Registered Users Posts: 42
Hello Everyone!

Please forgive me I haven't been on here in a while. I started a diet in April and I am proud to say that since then I have lost 60 pounds (i'm feeling like janet jackson :toothy10:). My diet consisted of soy protein for the first 3 months and then I introduced fish and chicken back into my diet and I occasionally have red meat. Unfortunately around the middle of july my hair around my temples started to thinning and they keep thinning! I also noticed the rest of my hair is not as full as it use to be. This is really stressing me out :banghead: (which is probably adding to the hair loss!).

I have tried organics hair serum but not for long (I didn't see any results). I am now rubbing vitamin E oil on my temples twice a day (my sister told me this would help) I'm not sure what is causing this. I was using a Goody brand headband that was pure elastic and may have made the condition worse...but I am thinking its mainly my diet. Could it be that I am not having enough protein in my diet or vitamins? Please help I would love my full healthy hair back:sad10:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You could probably add protein and take skin, hair and nail vitamins. It wouldn't hurt. I also use more natural products and notice that I "shed" a lot less.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChicaNaturalChicaNatural Registered Users Posts: 45
    Hi Nore1228,

Congratulations on the weight loss. Sorry to hear that your hair is thinning though.

What foods did you drop as a result of your diet?

I'm thinking that your diet may not be well-balanced. You want to make sure that you are getting a good balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates.

My guess is that if you are eating meat on a regular basis, you should be getting enough protein. The problem then, may be a lack of enough vitamins and minerals. If you're under a lot of stress, you may be low in the B complex vitamins. You may want to consider a supplement.

Other than that, sticking to a well-balanced diet of whole grains, legumes, fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds (in moderation) will go a long way towards giving you a healthy head of hair. Flaxseeds are excellent for promoting healthy hair. They are great for weight loss too!

Also, try to make sure that you are getting enough to eat in the first place. If you are taking in less calories than you need, your body is going to use those nutrients for other more important body functions (e.g. your heart, your brain, etc). Your hair will take the backseat on the list of priorities. Well, hope you get results real soon!
    Mostly 4a (with different strands of all types sprinkled in here and there). Very interesting mix... :happy1:.
  • ldiva67ldiva67 Registered Users Posts: 41
    I know I went through the same thing which is what lead to me going natural, try taking biotin and flaxseed oil that helped me a lot and not to lose anymore hair
    3c/4a (changes as it grows)

Photos
    http://public.fotki.com/ldiva67/

Routine
    co-wash (once a week)
    curl junkie (smoothing lotion) Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
    Oyin sugar berry pomade to seal

• NORE1228NORE1228 Registered Users Posts: 42
    Thanks kathymack, i just started taking a hair supplements. Hopefully that will help.

Thank you so much, ChicaNatural. I dropped many things from my diet. I was on straight veggies and soy for about 3 months, then I started introducing grains, fruits, nuts, and animal meat back into my diet. I have started taking a vitamin supplement, but perhaps your right maybe my calories are too low? I am planning on going to the doctor for a blood test to see if I have any vitamin deficiencies.

Hi Idiva67, I agree with you and ChicaNatural maybe it is my caloric and fat intake. I have added biotin to my hair supplements. I noticed that you and ChicaNatural say to try flaxseed. What kind of flaxseed? Is pills or oil that I drink? Thanks so much.
  • ChicaNaturalChicaNatural Registered Users Posts: 45
    Hi NORE1228,

You could take both flaxseeds and flaxseed oil. There are two kinds of flaxseeds, the golden ones and the brown ones. From what I've read, both are exactly the same in terms of nutritional value....

You can find flaxseeds in most health food stores. They are pretty cheap. Anywhere from $1.50 - $3 or $4 per pound. You can get flaxseed oil in capsules, but they are pretty expensive and you would have to take quite a few capsules to equal one tablespoon of oil. It's definitely not cost effective. Some people don't like the taste of the oil, but it all depends on how you use it.

Personally, I prefer to mix the oil in with my food. I blend it into smoothies, or use it to make salad dressings (I don't like the ingredients in commercial brands). To make a salad dressing, add some oil (about 1 - 3 tsp) to some lemon juice, salt, crushed garlic, basil, and other herbs - use whatever appeals to you. Mix and pour on salad. I also pour the oil onto my steamed veggies. I even pour it onto my toast because I don't eat butter or margarine. I don't use refined oils either so I use flaxseed oil as a substitute (except for cooking and baking because flaxseed oil should not be heated above a certain temperature).

As for brands, I like the Flora brand. The best brands are ones that are organic, cold pressed, and refrigerated in a dark glass bottle. The oil goes bad quickly if it's not properly taken care of.

As for the flaxseeds, I use a coffee grinder to grind them up (about 1 tbsp) each time I need them - so they're nice and fresh. I add that to my oatmeal or other porridge. Some people add the ground flax to smoothies, but I have not tried that. Not sure that I would appreciate the grit. You can also it to your batter when you are making muffins or cookies.

Since I've started taking flaxseed oil and flaxseeds, I've noticed a major difference in my hair. It used to be very dry, brittle, and very tangled up. Many times I would get so frustrated with it, I'd feel like chopping it all off. No joke! Now that flax is a regular part of my diet, my hair is softer, shinier, and it doesn't get tangled up. Even when I was transitioning and had several inches of new growth under the relaxed hair, I could wash and comb my hair freely with no problem.

If you're worried about gaining weight by adding oil to your diet, don't be. I read somewhere that taking essential fatty acids (like flax) actually helps your metabolism and helps you to to maintain a normal weight.

Hope that helps!
    Mostly 4a (with different strands of all types sprinkled in here and there). Very interesting mix... :happy1:.
  • ldiva67ldiva67 Registered Users Posts: 41
    I use both the oil and the pills depends on the day the oil I use in salads, the cold pressed is the best make sure its in the refrigerated section in you local health food store

I also take evening primrose oil caps for hair as they also help with hair, but I also tend to take a few supplements (6) for both body and hair

biotin 2000mg
    evening primrose 1300mg
    multi vitamin
    chlorophyll 60mg
    calcium+vitamin D
    MSM 1000mg
    flaxseed oil (sometimes)

I have been taking most of these for a year now but for the MSM which has made my roots thicker along with henna
    I think at lot of it trying things and seeing what works for you the info I got was from a link in curlyniki blog
    MSM: This vitamin is very important for healthy hair, muscles, and joints. It helps to decrease hair fall out. It does this by assisting in making the growth stage of the hair longer. The longer you are able to retain the root, the longer you hair will grow. You may take up to 2000mg/day. Note: Ultra Nourishair contains 500mg of MSM. I take an additional 1000mg/day.

Silica: Helps in the shine of hair. It is also a very valuable antioxidant. It assists in a lot of other areas other than just helping your hair be soft and shiny. There is silica in the Ultra Nourishair; I take an additional 500mg/day.

Evening Primrose: There is so much to say about this essential fatty acid. It contains Omega-6 Fatty Acid (Gamma-Linolenic Acid). This is a good Omega-6 Fatty Acid. It has several benefits of which I will only name a few. Some of the benefits are reducing PMS, clearing up eczema, helping your skin glow, minimize fine wrinkles, reduce cholesterol, help with your metabolism, and cure hair and nail problems. It helps nourish straw-like hair. You really only need 480-960 mg of GLA to reap wonderful benefits. I personally take 500mg/day. You should see results with Evening Primrose as early as 2 weeks of daily consumption. Your scalp should feel less dry and the hair growing in should feel softer and more nourished.

Flaxseed Oil: Now flaxseed Oil is wonderful in the sense that it contains both Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Fatty Acid) and Gamma-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid). Omega-3 is very important in our bodies too. We need both to help maintain a healthy body. Omega-3 has been know the help ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It is also essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It helps hair in the same way Omega-6 does. Why take both? Because the cells of the body need both to work properly. Our bodies do not make either of the Fatty Acids, we must supplement. Taking both will help the cells of the body work more efficiently and in return help growth of hair as well as health of hair and body. I take 500mg/day. I really don't think you need more than that, but experiment. You might find your body does need more.

Biotin: Now biotin is what really can boost your hair growth. Skin, nails, and hair rely on biotin to grow. So, if we feed our bodies more biotin, then our skin will look better, and our nails will be stronger, and our hair will grow faster and stronger. My hair vitamin contains 1200mcg of biotin. I take an additional 2400mcg/day. I have played with the dosage a little and have found that my hair definitely grows faster with the total biotin of 3600mcg/day. You might need to play with this too. You might need more or less than I do for results.
    3c/4a (changes as it grows)

Photos
    http://public.fotki.com/ldiva67/

Routine
    co-wash (once a week)
    curl junkie (smoothing lotion) Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm
    Oyin sugar berry pomade to seal

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file