Vegan Bakers, Help!! Good Vegan Spread for Baking/XPost

The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
I just made vegan apple crisp using Earth Balance "buttery spread" instead of butter. It was OK, but the spread gave it a funky taste. Is there another brand that works better for baking?

Or is there something I can do to mask the taste of the spread? Add more cinnamon and sugar? Use less spread?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• ArjaeArjae Registered Users Posts: 412
    Have you ever tried coconut oil? I don't know if it would work in your situation, but I've made good pie crust with coconut oil instead of butter or shortening.
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh wow....no, interesting idea though. Does it taste like coconut?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ArjaeArjae Registered Users Posts: 412
    Yes it does, a little, but I usually can't taste it when I use it when I bake.
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Registered Users Posts: 228
    Did you use the spread that comes in a tub? I use Earth Balance sticks or Willow Run margarine for baking.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
    I used the EB sticks. Willow Run sounds like a good alternative.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• curlymaybecurlymaybe Registered Users Posts: 354
    Co-signing on the EB sticks. I've used the tub stuff and the sticks have a less noticeable taste in baked goods.
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • SariaSaria New YorkRegistered Users Posts: 15,963
    Coconut oil is great for baking, and depending on what kind you use, it will not taste like coconut. Aside from that, you can get away with using safflower/sunflower/canola oil when making things like streusel, especially with a crisp. The streusel will get plenty of flavor from the juicy apples and the spices.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Gotta try those next time! Thanks!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• nadra24nadra24 Registered Users Posts: 72
    Not vegan, but my mom has always used Nucoa brand margarine for all of her baking. Not sure how you feel about trans fats though.
  • KurlyKarenLeeKurlyKarenLee Registered Users Posts: 1,048
    I can't find the EB sticks anywhere. Where do you get them?
    KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file