I still hate my hair.

murphyettemurphyette Posts: 6Registered Users
It is thin. Always has been. Like... I have seen 3 year old children with more hair than I have. I started a loose CG routine about a month ago now. I use shampoo only once/wk, and co-wash 4-5 times/wk. It does look better, but like others here, it takes alot of work to get the curl defined. I too am sick of the srunchy feeling, and not being able to brush my hair drives em nuts. Of course, when I straightened it every day it looked like crap if I didnt constantly brush it, so I guess theres no winning solution there. :goofy:
Here I am on day one of the new routine(yes, I am going to show my scary mug):
49027.jpg
49028.jpg

And this is about 3wks later:
50081.jpg
50082.jpg

Trust me, it doesnt look like that all day. it's pretty flat by the end. :roll:
I still hate my hair, but at least it isn't as frizzy.

Comments

• murphyettemurphyette Posts: 6Registered Users
    Just want to add... am I the only one plopping does NOTHING for? I get better results scrunching w/a terry towel.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ok, ok, you need a little TLC, I think. I know how it feels to be really discouraged with your hair -- I have days when I don't even want to go NEAR these boards, because everybody else's hair is so gorgeous and it just makes me feel bad! But now for the pep talk:

1) "Ugly mug" my ass! You are gorgeous!!!! Who wouldn't kill for your looks?

2) Your hair has tons of potential -- and I think it's pretty right now, too. I have seen thinner hair! The wave that you have keeps it from looking flat, and provides some nice movement and shape to it. That's a real blessing! It frames your face beautifully.

3) I know you want more volume, but the dark side of volume is the "poof" effect that so many of us get. One less thing to worry about! And again -- I've seen much thinner hair! The wave offsets that.

4) You're already seeing improvement after a month??? That's great! It's only going to get healthier and healthier.

So get back in that ring and keep fighting, young lady! Keep experimenting, find what works for you, see what gives you the effect that you want. Take the great advice that is here, and if the hair envy overwhelms you (as it sometimes does me), just take a step back, find some chocolate, and remember that everybody on here hates their hair sometimes.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
    ITA. You're beautiful and the progress you've made is apparent. Looking at your pics, particularly the more recent ones, I was not thinking your hair looked super thin at all. The increased wave, as wavycurly mentioned, definitely adds volume- and is very becoming.

Like you, I've gotten discouraged many times because my hair isn't curlier or more easily dealt with. But I've stuck with CG, and I'm liking it better and better. It takes some trial and error, but you'll find a routine you love- there's some excellent advise to be had on this forum. Best of luck!! :D
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • Twilight AngelTwilight Angel Posts: 28Registered Users
    I have super thick hair with a tendency to poof. On humid days I want hair JUST like yours so count yourself lucky! And you're gifted to have light hair; mine just looks like a dark blob from far away! You don't have to damage your hair with highlights. See, you have tons of benefits. If you really want volume and curl, how about using a diffuser?
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    I think that your after pics look great! Your hair looks very soft. You look very pretty.
    Don't give up!
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Going to chime in here and say the after pics look GREAT! You've already got a lot more wave/curl in there than you did when you started, and it's already looking really healthy.

Plopping doesn't work for me either, don't worry. I scrunch with towels too :)

If you want more volume, have you tried diffusing? That's a sure-fire way with my hair to keep it from just hanging all lifeless around my face. My hair also tends to get a little flat when it grows out too long. Not sure if length is a goal for you (if it is, ignore me) but shorter hair might give you more volume as well :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    Yes, I know the feeling. My hair is very, very fine, too. I supposedly have "lots of it", at least that is what the hairdressers tell me. But, I think we are lucky in a lot of ways. Sure, a ponytail is not a good look (mine is only as thick as my pinky finger). But, we have the type of hair that fine and straight girls lust after. We should rejoice!

I think you need to find a stylist who cuts Curly Girl style. They cut each curl to make the shape, rather than stretching the hair straight, cutting a straight line, and then hoping for the best. Imagine showing up with your hair doing it's natural hang wherever thing and having a flattering shape cut into it so that it basically styles itself. And, oh, I think your after photos are fantastic.

So, hang in there.

I just got [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] today and tried it out. I like the results. I also got some tweek (hairspray in cream form). I think this is a great product for us fine-haired girls.
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    natural2a wrote: »
    Yes, I know the feeling. My hair is very, very fine, too. I supposedly have "lots of it", at least that is what the hairdressers tell me. But, I think we are lucky in a lot of ways. Sure, a ponytail is not a good look (mine is only as thick as my pinky finger). But, we have the type of hair that fine and straight girls lust after. We should rejoice!

I think you need to find a stylist who cuts Curly Girl style. They cut each curl to make the shape, rather than stretching the hair straight, cutting a straight line, and then hoping for the best. Imagine showing up with your hair doing it's natural hang wherever thing and having a flattering shape cut into it so that it basically styles itself. And, oh, I think your after photos are fantastic.

So, hang in there.

I just got [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] today and tried it out. I like the results. I also got some tweek (hairspray in cream form). I think this is a great product for us fine-haired girls.

I think you're going to love Tweek. I really like it my hair is fine but not thin. But I gave some to my fine, thin haired straight friend and she LOVES it. Gives her hair more volume and oomph. Imagine what it will do for your wave.

To the OP, you might consider trying Tweek also. :)

ITA with what has already been said. You are beautiful, your hair has already made an amazing transformation and I would love to have those loose separatedwaves. There is a woman at work with hair like yours only longer and I am always lusting after it.

Good luck! :D
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your "after" photos show more waves and body. Be encouraged to keep treating your hair gently. Try some new techniques, like diffusing upside down, or different products. It's fun to experiment, and there are so many things to try. Some have had success with extra hair growth by taking Biotin or a combination vitamin for hair, skin, and nails.

Most of us just want our hair to be the best that it can be whether it is super curly, wavy, thick, or thin. Your hair can only become better and better as you learn how best to care for it.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • curlcutiecurlcutie Posts: 227Registered Users
    don't give up. your hair is really pretty:) I can really see the difference that was made in three weeks:)
    - 2c/3a hair
    - Going to try being a modified CG
    -Herbal Essence Body Envy Volumizing Mousse
    -Pantene PRO-V Curls Gel
    -L'OREAL Paris Curl Boosting, Curl Spray Gel
    -Is hair twins with sarahb1396:toothy7:
    I LOVE MY CURLS!!!!!:love4:
  • lucky_dlucky_d Posts: 19Registered Users
    I think your hair looks great too! I love those loose kind of waves and I do have very similar hair on the outside layer. I have a ton of thickness underneath but it's curlier and gets too chunky very easily. I do have the Ouidad carve-n-slice haircut which helped immensely, but the way it helped me was to tone down the volume, not sure what it would do to create volume.

And I can definitely say that "plopping" never did anything for me. When I took my hair down out of it it was shaped like Medusa hair!

I use a diffuser to dry mine but I hold the dryer on the inside of the hair so the heat doesn't get so much on the outside. Kinda barely loosely scrunch the hair up with the dryer, then when it's about 50% dry and I won't look ridiculous if seen in public that way, I let it dry the rest of the way by itself.

Also, gel is key. I'm a big believer in light but strong gels for my fine hair. Anything too thick weighs it down but it needs some oomph to keep the curls together while it dries.

Ok so there you have it...and whatever you do stop hating your hair!
  • GINALINDA35GINALINDA35 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Try Loob...It help my hair to look fuller.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file