CurlTalk

Who's getting a flu shot and who's not?

CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
I got one because my doctor recommended it.Now,I haven't always been up to date with flu shots.But,for some reason I feared I was going to get it,so I better get the shot.I know it may seem crazy to some,but I just felt the need to do it.
3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I'm saying thanks-but-no-thanks on that shot to nowhere.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    I'm a big advocate, tho there is much debate about it.
    r/o http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=58529&highlight=flu+shot
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I'm not getting it, even though my job offers it for free as my boss keeps pointedly reminding me. I don't think anyone's crazy for getting the shot--I'm not anti-vaccine--but I just don't feel the need. I'm young and healthy, so if I do get the flu the chances are good that I'll be fine.

I had it once, in college, and it sucked, so I'll probably kick myself if I get the flu this year. :toothy10:
    Eres o te haces?
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    Nope, I try to avoid the unnecessary vaccines.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• AllerianAllerian Posts: 72Registered Users
    I have lupus (immunocompromised) and am a health care worker. I got my flu shot a week ago. Even if it's a poor match it still provides some protection.
    2C/3Amiii
    My Hair Pics
    Currently Using:
    CV Bars: Chocolate Almond
    ACV Rinses every few days
    KCCC, KCKT, LOOB and TW
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    I'm saying thanks-but-no-thanks on that shot to nowhere.

HA!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,193Registered Users
    Palin is an expert on flu immunization.

She can see a vaccine production facility from her house. hee hee
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    alacurl wrote: »
    Palin is an expert on flu immunization.

She can see a vaccine production facility from her house. hee hee

You betcha ;)
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,806Registered Users
    I am, I got the flu last year and had to go to the ER for my asthma. Never again will I skip.
  • sundaysunday Posts: 535Registered Users
    I got it yesterday and my arm is still sore.
    3 something
    fotki pw: sunday
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    Nope, pass.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • ArjaeArjae Posts: 412Registered Users
    I'm not, and I don't have any plans to in future years, either.
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
  • SarcasmIsBeautySarcasmIsBeauty Posts: 5,640Registered Users
    No.

I have not gotten it nor do I ever plan on it.
    Turtles: omg please don't put that in your moo moo

Nej: too late... moo moo has been infiltrated.
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    I probably will give in to the pressure (our clinical directors highly recommend it). Besides, I'll be giving the shots at a clinic this year, so it will be pretty convenient. This will be my first flu shot as far as I can remember.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    Nope. My doctor strongly recommends it too since I'll be pregnant during flu season, but I've decided I'm not doing any more vaccines except tetanus boosters.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    The Rite Aid near me is having a clinic next week. I'm all over it. I've had the flu before, and my asthma has gotten much worse over the last year (ER visit and pneumonia in May), and I don't have sick days, so yes. I'm getting it. My winter health seems to be better when I get it, too.
    Under construction.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    When I get the flu, I almost always get pneumonia or at least pretty severe asthmatic bronchitis. I get it every year I don't get the shot, so I'll get the shot. Sometimes that prevents it, sometimes it's not the needed strain, but it at least improves my chances.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    *sigh* My roommate is likely running a fever right now, and we all know what that could mean....I hope I get to decide! Right now, it's not a "shot or no shot" debate in my head, it's a "please, oh pleeeeease don't let me catch this nasty intestinal flu that (no joke) started in our rival school!" beg-fest.:cwm21:
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    "Intestinal flu" isn't the same thing at all, is it?
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    Intestinal flu (stomach flu) isn't actually the same thing at all, is it? I don't think the vax helps with that.

I never get the vax, and neither do my daughter and husband. I did have the flu last year and it sucked, but they didn't get it. She's not in preschool or day care, I don't work, and my husband works at home. We are all handwashing fiends and I use a cart cover for her when we grocery shop (yeah, laugh, but she's nearly three and she's had one cold. ROTTEN allergies, tho).
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    Getting mine Tuesday. My husband got his free through the VA a couple days ago.
    3b/c
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    Nope. I've never had the flu. Lots of people around me have and I still don't. Not fixing what's not broke.
    <insert signature line here>
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I did, because I have a little one and my doctor suggested it (I also have two big performances over the winter and will take any chance I can not to be sick for them.)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    I say thank but no thanks.
    I only had the flu once. It was pretty bad, I was in bed for 4 days but they have that new medicine for the flu so I will take my chances. I'll just take the medicine if I get it.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamiflu.com%2F" class="Popup
  • M2LRTooM2LRToo Posts: 446Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote: »
    Intestinal flu (stomach flu) isn't actually the same thing at all, is it? I don't think the vax helps with that.

Correct, the vax helps with influenza, not rotavirus (or norovirus).

Anyways, all four of us get the flu shot. My husband is immuno-compromised, so the risks of him getting sick (and sicker than the average person) are always higher. My son has a history of asthma and croup, so anything to keep us out of the ER. I know that the shot isn't 100%, but I do think it helps a little. I also try to REALLY push hand washing and all of that junk, and that helps a lot too.
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    violets wrote: »
    I say thank but no thanks.
    I only had the flu once. It was pretty bad, I was in bed for 4 days but they have that new medicine for the flu so I will take my chances. I'll just take the medicine if I get it.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tamiflu.com%2F" class="Popup

Healthcare worker with asthma - so even though I have to PAY for it, I'll be getting it.

As for tamiflu, it's a wonderful idea, but when I had the flu last year (one of my friends was kind enough to run the rapid flu test for me and verify it..hahah), it started as a little postnasal drip and a funny feeling in my trachea/chest that SORT of felt like bronchitis. I had that for about 36 hours before it really hit me. At that point, the doctor's office was closed and I couldn't get a script for Tamiflu. So I ended up battling the whole damn thing out.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    Thank you all for replying.I'm just nervous about going to the ER for anything,so that's why I nipped it in the bud.I've had the flu before and it was terrible!
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I won't be getting a flu shot. I got one once, back in like 1994 or something like that, but I haven't gotten one since, and that included the 5 or so years that I spent flying weekly.

Now that I work at home all the time I have even less reason to get one.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • PhDCowPhDCow Posts: 1,621Registered Users
    I know it's a crap shoot as to which strains are included in the vax, but the kids and I are all getting it. If I didn't teach, I wouldn't get it, but my students (especially residents) are just walking germs.
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.