Shea Butter scent???

EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
What is Shea Butter supposed to smell like?

Or better yet, if there's no way to describe it or nothing to compare it to, does Shea Butter go bad?

I've had a tub of Lavender Shea Butter for many months & the lavender scent is gone, but another scent remains & I don't know if it's the natural Shea Butter scent or if it's bad. :?

I didn't buy it specifically for hair use. It'd be too heavy if used all the time for that. But I really need it in winter for my hands & feet, & sometimes near the ears & nostrils due to excema, psoriasis or whatever the problem areas are, & for the shins after shaving.

Comments

• va_candiva_candi Registered Users Posts: 849
    I think the natural scent of shea butter is usually kind of nutty, for lack of a better word.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Registered Users Posts: 8,792 Curl Neophyte
    I'll have to give it some good sniffs to see if it's a bit nutty. ;-) Thanks.

ETA: Well, I don't think it smells nutty. Neither does the son. We both think it smells like school paste. :? Maybe it does have a bit of lavender essential oil lingering. :dontknow:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    Well, both SheaM Leave In and an Ecco Bella all-natural shea butter lotion I have have a rich, sweet, sort of cocoa-buttery smell to me - they sure don't smell like school paste!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    I had some pure shea butter (unscented) that eventually did go bad, but only after a looooong time. It was not awful-smelling, but I could tell it was not good.

New butter smells naturally clean and fresh, sort of sweet.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    ala,

If you remember, what did it smell like when it went bad?
  • floridajovigirlfloridajovigirl Registered Users Posts: 119
    The scent reminds me of caramel popcorn :)
    CO Wash: VO5 Clarifying Conditioners
    Conditioner: Curly Kinks Deep Conditioner and Leave-In
    Styling: Still searching but currently using HESMU

2A, Medium Texture, Normal Porosity
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    lazy loops wrote: »
    ala,

If you remember, what did it smell like when it went bad?

You know how cooking oil smells "off" when it starts to go bad? Kind of like that. A tiny bit rancid. I think you'll know it if you smell it, if that makes sense. :)
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
    OK, after sniffing it on/off for many minutes last night & this morning, I think I do smell a nutty scent, with an overtone of what used to be lavender. :dontknow:

I think I'll continue to use it anyhow, until the scent really does change. And I bet I'll notice if it does go bad.

Thanks!
  • CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Registered Users Posts: 158
    I just had the exact thing happen to me. It was a tub of lavender shea butter that I went to use (haven't used it since last winter) and it smelled bad. The lavender scent was barely there and when I rubbed it on my hands, I just couldn't stand how it smelled. I washed it off and then threw it away because I'm confident it didn't smell like that when I bought it. It did sort of have that smell of oil once it goes bad. I believe the brand was de-luxe.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

pw: wavy

Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights

Mine is the same brand!

Did you get it from CVS or Rite Aid? I can't remember where I got mine.
  • CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Registered Users Posts: 158
    How strange! I actually ordered mine from drugstore.com (I love that site!). It smelled good when I bought it but it definitely changed smells on me. I wasn't sure if it went bad or not, but I just couldn't stand the smell so I tossed it. On the other hand, I absolutely love the Shea hand cream by the same brand. It just has a clean, lotion-like smell and it doesn't go bad. It's not pure shea butter though but works wonders for severely dry hands.
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

pw: wavy

Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights

So I decided to look at my drugstore.com and CVS history folders. I got mine from drugstore.com, too, in Feb.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file