Hair Type & a few questions

report2courtreport2court Posts: 5Registered Users
I'm new to naturallycurly.com and the CG method, but after reading about all the success stories I decided to give it a go. I tried full CG, but my hair got really greasy at the scalp so I decided modified CG was for me.

My hair is really damaged from being thinned, highlighted, straightened, etc. (I have REALLY thick, dry, coarse hair). I have lost some of the curl I used to have and I think it is because I haven't been taking good care of my hair.

Here is my most recent pic of me with curly hair (yesterday). I used Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp Treatment shampoo, Suave conditioner, KY jelly, and LOOB. This is the most tame I've seen my frizz/poof in a while. It's not as shiny as it looks in the pictures.

My questions:
What hair type do you think I am?
Will I have to wait for new hair growth before I start seeing healthy results with the CG method?
Do I have potential for more curl? (My underneath curls are more like spirals and the top is barely wavy)
2c/3a, VERY THICK, Coarse hair
My Hair needs LOTS of MOISTURE!

Current Routine

Co-wash: VO5 Strawberries 'n Cream
Condition: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
Style: KY Jelly & LOOB, plop for 10 mins & let air dry

Deep Conditioning Treatment:
Honey & EVOO & conditioner (done twice since going CG)

CG since October 2008

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Hi, and welcome!

Right now your hair looks 2B/2C to me with some definite curls underneath. My top layer started out wavy when I first went CG and then it got curlier as my hair got healthier.

You may not need to wait months for your hair to get curlier but it really depends on how damaged it is. I straigthened mine for years at the highest heat level. I think my ends are permenantly ruined because my hair is much curlier at the top. It took about three months for me to see real improvement.

You're lucky because your hair looks nice already. :smile: I think it will probably get curlier the longer you treat it nicely and don't fight it. Good luck and have fun experimenting!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I'd say 2b/2c too.
    It might get curlier.
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Hi report!

I agree w/ everyone that your hair looks 2c-ish. It looks a lot like mine did before I went CG, and if your hair is anything like mine you WILL get much more curl/wave. I didn't really have to wait for new growth to see improvement, but everyone's different.

I would recommend that you use a more moisturizing conditioner than Suave - those are great for co-washing, but (for me anyway) they don't cut it for a regular CO. Lots of ladies on here like any from Jessicurl (I like her lightest one, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink]) or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. Also, when I first started co-washing I didn't spend enough time scrubbing my scalps w/ the pads of my fingers to really clean my scalp. If you think your hair is v. dry you may want to try the co-wash thing again. I'm modified now, but when I first started CG co-washing really helped get my hair into great condition.

HTH and welcome!!!
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    2C, great curls underneath!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    If you have 2C hair your hair might need a bit more moisture or even oil to help it out.

Oil has been my hair's BFF for years, way before I even knew about CG.

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (AOHR) is very hit or miss on this site, people either love it or hate it, but it is extremely moisturizing and has excellent ingredients (ie natural.)
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • report2courtreport2court Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thanks for your help! I think I will try a more moisturizing conditioner, the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose sounds like a good product.

I had also considered using oil as part of a DT (I haven't really done one yet). Tilly, what types of oil do you use in your hair and when/how do you apply it?

I've read a little bit about protein issues with hair, but I don't quite understand it. I've been wondering if my hair doesn't like protein because it gets poofy with conditioners sometimes. Can someone explain protein issues?

Current Routine

CG since October 2008
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    If you have a protein problem, your hair looks dry and frizzy even while soaking wet. I've overdone protein, and when I did, my hair frizzed before I even got out of the shower. It also looked and felt brittle, straw-like, and dry. If you have it, you'll know.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My 2C hair looked a lot like yours before going CG, barely wavy top layer, some spirals underneath. Now my top layer is wavier and the underneath spirals even better. Moisture and time really made a difference.

Concerning your comment about "poofiness", some curlies find that the ingredient stear-something chloride can cause overconditioning. It's a common ingredient in some Suave and VO5 conditioners.

Good luck getting your curls back!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
    Update:
    I am now using AOHR and liking the results. I also did a DT with Suave, Honey & EVOO. I think it was really moisturizing and replenishing to my hair. I included pictures from about a week ago to show you the good results.

Now with the weather change, my hair is frizzier and the products don't hold as well. I'm using KY and LOOB. any suggestions for winter hold and taming frizz? I've been thinking about trying BRHG.

Current Routine

CG since October 2008
  • CaliforniaWavyCaliforniaWavy Posts: 158Registered Users
    Update:
    I am now using AOHR and liking the results. I also did a DT with Suave, Honey & EVOO. I think it was really moisturizing and replenishing to my hair. I included pictures from about a week ago to show you the good results.

Now with the weather change, my hair is frizzier and the products don't hold as well. I'm using KY and LOOB. any suggestions for winter hold and taming frizz? I've been thinking about trying BRHG.

I never had much luck with CK or KY, but I know a lot of people have stopped using them now that the weather is cooling down. I guess they tend to work better is more humid climates, which is possibly why my hair didn't react well to it since I'm in CA. I don't get much hold with LOOB at all and always needed to use a gel over it. That might help control the frizz and keep your curls more defined. BTW - your hair looks very pretty in your pics!
    Mod CG since 9/08
    2b/2c Thick Hair
    Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/CaliforniaWavy/

pw: wavy

Currently using:
    Wash/Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut, Giovanni TTT, Elucence MB
    Conditioner: Kenra Moisturizing, Generic Biolage Balm
    Deep Treatment: Jessicurl WDT or GVP mixed with olive oil
    Styling faves: Giovanni DLI, KBB products, Boots, MOP Curl Cream, KCCC, HEBE
    Current Color: Salon highlights

• HestiaHestia Posts: 21Registered Users

Are you in a dry climate? One thing I've seen on the boards here is that humectants like honey and the glycerin in KY can actually backfire in very dry weather. They draw moisture into the hair from the air in humid weather, but if there's no moisture in the air at all, they can instead start drawing moisture out of your hair. So that could be part of it.
    2C-m/c-iii
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea
    ACV/Chamomile/honey rinses
    Conditioner: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    Styler: KY

Tried and hated: various gels.
    Jury's still out on: cassia, jojoba oil, diffusing.
  • babybelbabybel Posts: 56Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, what a transformation! Your hair looks soooo much better and healthier... :love4: Love it!

Congratulations!
    2c babyfine high porosity UK curly, CG for two years 2008-2010, now back for a second round! Hair loves protein, hates any kind of oil! Conditioners: ASDA Apple or similar for co-wash. AOHR, Aubrey GBP, Giovanni Root 66, Giovanni DLI. Styling: a mix of equal parts Shockwaves Gel and a curl cream (LOOB, MopC, Naked or Boots Pink) Plop, products, 80% pixiecurl diffuse, air dry the rest, STC, a little gel spray for hold.
    Thanks babybel! I am loving my hair SOO much more than I used to!

I live in Dallas, TX so it can get really humid on somedays and not too bad on others (I'm used to LOTS of humidity in SC). This week it's been about 50% humidity. I think I've solved the poof issues, I tried using less KY than normal and it was worse, then I used more KY and it helped. I also bought BRHG and it is helping too.

This could have been the problem too:
    My hair was getting greasy so I used Avalon Organics shampoo to wash it and it dried my hair out. Then I did a DT with the honey & EVOO. I think the DT weighed down my curls. I think this happened the first time I did the DT too, but I didn't realize it bc it was only a couple days into CG. So I'm hoping after a few CO-washes my curls will bounce back. I'm still learning. I just hope the grease doesn't come back too!

Current Routine

CG since October 2008
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Oils that you should start with for your hair, if you've never used them before, are Jojoba Oil and Avocado Oil (make sure it's a greenish color, that's how you know it's "raw") or Coconut Oil. Jojoba is easily absorbed by the hair, and coconut is very moisturizing, and avocado has a lot of vitamins that are good for your hair. Some people like castor oil, which is protective, but can be a bit heavy. Olive Oil is very accessible and works well for some too.
    Glad you're doing so well!
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file