CurlTalk

Biolage Conditioning Balm

Alot of you have more knowledge of CG ingredients than I do. I am thinking of trying the biolage conditioning balm as a deep cond., but the ingredients have alot of alcohol in them. Is this ohkay?

Water, propylene glycol, myristyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, decyl oleate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, fragrance, propylparaben, hexyl cinamal, rosemary leaf (rosmarinus officinalis) extract, golden seal (hydrastis canadensis) extract, fucus vesiculosus/bladderwrack, methyl-2-octnoate

I would like to find a deep treatment that I can get locally. I also picked up the Biolage Gelee to try instead of the LA Looks Gel. I hope it is CG as well. The LA Looks Gel seems to dry my hair and make it feel course as the day goes by. Any feed back would be great!!

Gelee Ingred.

Ingredients: aqua, VP/VA copolymer, laureth-23, hydroethylcellulose, propylene glycol, polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone copolyol (water soluble cone for those who were worried), PEG-40 castor oil, polyquaternium-10, methylparaben, polyquaternium-11, fragrance, sodium acetate, polyquaternium-4, polyquaternium-7, propylparaben, cellulose, hibiscus sabdariffa flower extract, mallow extract, tetrasodium EDTA, hops lupulus
CG since 10-03-08:thumbup:
Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Leave-In: TJ Nourish
Styling: Biolage Gelee
Lo-poo: ? still sneaking into the reg poo
Wanting to try: KCCC, ACV rinse, JRR
Don't Like: AVG, LA Looks Gel, Burt's Bees Shine

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Biolage conditioning balm is awesome, I use it all the time. Hydrates my hair really well, leaves a great scent (if you're not sensitive to strong fragrances) and is CG friendly.

I haven't ever used the Biolage Gelee... but I have used the Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, which is probably pretty comparable. It didn't mesh well with my hair at all but a lot of people really like it.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    LovetoKnit wrote: »
    Alot of you have more knowledge of CG ingredients than I do. I am thinking of trying the biolage conditioning balm as a deep cond., but the ingredients have alot of alcohol in them. Is this ohkay?

Water, propylene glycol, myristyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, cetearyl alcohol, decyl oleate, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, fragrance, propylparaben, hexyl cinamal, rosemary leaf (rosmarinus officinalis) extract, golden seal (hydrastis canadensis) extract, fucus vesiculosus/bladderwrack, methyl-2-octnoate

I would like to find a deep treatment that I can get locally. I also picked up the Biolage Gelee to try instead of the LA Looks Gel. I hope it is CG as well. The LA Looks Gel seems to dry my hair and make it feel course as the day goes by. Any feed back would be great!!

Gelee Ingred.

Ingredients: aqua, VP/VA copolymer, laureth-23, hydroethylcellulose, propylene glycol, polysorbate 20, phenoxyethanol, dimethicone copolyol (water soluble cone for those who were worried), PEG-40 castor oil, polyquaternium-10, methylparaben, polyquaternium-11, fragrance, sodium acetate, polyquaternium-4, polyquaternium-7, propylparaben, cellulose, hibiscus sabdariffa flower extract, mallow extract, tetrasodium EDTA, hops lupulus

Haven't used the balm, but I really like the gelee. My last two bottles have not had any 'cones in them, so I'm not sure where that ingred' list is from. It gives me good hold and the crunch is easy to scrunch out when dry.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I love Biolage Conditioning Balm! I've used this as a DT, as a daily rinse-out conditioner, and sometimes as a curl cream. It is a really versatile product. It is thick like grease, but doesn't weigh my hair down.

The Gelee wasn't a slam-dunk for me, but I only tried it a couple times at the beginning of my CG trial. I might have to revisit...

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    If you're interested in the Biolage Conditioning Balm, I've seen a cheaper generic version at Sally's. Come to think of it...that's where I'm headed soon.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The alcohols in the Biolage are 'fatty alcohol's' so they don't dry out the hair like a bad alcohol. I use the BioInfusion Conditioning Balm from Walgreens and love it as a DT. It's another cheaper version of the Biolage.

Here's a list of the alcohols that aren't bad for your hair. I shamelessly stole the list from someone here but can't remember who.

Lauryl
    Cetyl
    Myristyl
    Stearyl
    Cetearyl
    Behenyl
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 972Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have very fine hair, and I use the Sally's version of the conditioning balm and I love it. It's very moisturizing, but it doesn't weigh my hair down. I use it as a leave in as well. I think it's something like $5.99 at my Sally's.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Rinse out: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition, Deva Supercream, and Deva B'leave-in
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• Jess2316Jess2316 Posts: 617Registered Users
    Use it..love it..buy some!!
    3a fine hair (I think)

CoN poo and Biolage Conditioning Balm
    I love CK and B&A gel...I like HETT Mousse
  • LovetoKnitLovetoKnit Posts: 17Registered Users
    I am definatly going to pick some up and try it. Thanks for the information, I know it is repeative, but it helps us newbys.

I am unsure about the biolage gelee so far. I think I like it, today I used alittle more product and it is giving me more hold. It is also alot less humid today. I think once I start conditioning my hair with good conditioners the gelee will work better for me. My hair is still dry because I keep grabing the shampoo bottle. I just can't get out of the habit.

I also think my hair is protein sensitive because I was using KPak for awhile (my mom who relaxes her hair loves it), but I found it left my hair dry. The LA looks gel leaves my hair dry as well and puffy at the end of the day. I never get 2nd day hair now that my hair is short. :banghead:

I also tried Burt's Bees Super Shine Grapefruit and Sugarbeet shampoo and my hair felt like straw while I was washing it. I am returning it for the balm. It also seemed to strip some of my haircolor out. Not sure what that was about.
    CG since 10-03-08:thumbup:
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave-In: TJ Nourish
    Styling: Biolage Gelee
    Lo-poo: ? still sneaking into the reg poo
    Wanting to try: KCCC, ACV rinse, JRR
    Don't Like: AVG, LA Looks Gel, Burt's Bees Shine
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,205Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair felt strawlike when I used the Burts Bee's grapefruit shampoo. It does have soy protein in it which I assume was the culprit. If your hair is protein sensative that may be it.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
    If you do a Protein DT, you need to make sure and follow it up with a Moisturizing DT. When I use KPak Reconstructor, my hair often feels dry (I also use a low-poo because it has mineral oil in it), but I just follow it up with a moisture DT and it bounces back in no time!

• Lissadances4lifeLissadances4life Posts: 7Registered Users
    so everytime i use biologe
    I always get told I smell great!

but here are the main products I love from them

Ultra Hydrating Line (everything from shampoo/ condit./ conditioning balm

Their gelee
    mousse
    curl defining cream
    spray leave in conditionair

the only thing I do not like from them is their anti frizz serum

I prefer Redkin's Glass and Outshine!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    amy51373 wrote: »
    My hair felt strawlike when I used the Burts Bee's grapefruit shampoo. It does have soy protein in it which I assume was the culprit. If your hair is protein sensative that may be it.
    Yup my hair hated the Low Poo that's mainly how I found out my hair hates soy protein
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Biolage is great. Those fatty alcohols help the product penetrate your hair.
  • JustsoJustso Posts: 90Registered Users
    I love Biolage Balm! My hair tends to tangle badly, it provides the right amount of slip. It is a winter necessity for me. I bought a bunch when Ulta had their buy 1 get 1 free deal going on, it was a steal. Hey - thanks to those who listed the knock-offs, I'll give them a try too.
    Currently on the shelf:
    Cowash- suave coconut
    condish- Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Still experimenting with styling products-
    BRHG, Kenra Moisturizing Condish (as a leave in), Mirra Gel and Mousse just added
    Hair is getting healthier every day! Avoiding glycerin & alcohol for now.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    The gellee seems to have a bunch of polyquats while build up something awful and are apparently hard to get out. Even sulphates dont get them out. There us a thread with a discussion about them, I'll look for it and bump it.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • Lissadances4lifeLissadances4life Posts: 7Registered Users
    you girls can use suave on your hair?
    any suave product turns my hair into dried frizzy hair.

I have 3b hair
    which is very pretty curly hair

I can only use these products:

Biolage- my absolute fav!
    Lanza
    Redkin Smooth down and Redkin all soft

For cheaper stuff:
    either herbal essence
    panteen pro v
    Finesse
    bath and body works: moonlight Path for dry/ damaged hair
    and thats it!

Ive tried EVERYTHING under the sun
    and these are the only ones my hair likes

but i stick with biolage

I used to use suave when I was a little kid
    but for some reason at the ages of 5-12 my hair went stick straight

-i was born with curly hair and it changed back to curly when I was 13!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I use the Sally's Generic Biolage conditioning balm (same ingredients) as a co-wash and it's great, nice and thick so I can add lots of water and get some good detangling and scalp massage going. And it seems to remove all the butters and oils whie leaving my hair moist. I haven't trie dthe real Biolage, and I don't use the Gellee.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    I love the biolage conditioning balm - I haven't tried the generic version, but it's definitely on my list. I love the detangling aspects, the smell, the consistency, everything. I think every curly girl needs this!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • Chelley MaeChelley Mae Posts: 359Registered Users
    I have been using this for over a year and LOVE it. Target also has a generic version of it. That stuff is great.
    2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
    Mod CG
    Currently Using:
    Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
    Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
    Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
    Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)

• CurlayGirlayCurlayGirlay Posts: 240Registered Users
    First time I used this I had amazing hair! It melted knots, gave me fantastic shine, hardly any frizz, and fair definition. After that...downhill.

Now I can't use it because it compltely dries my hair out! I'm dissapointed because I thought I found my HG condish. :(
    CG since December 22, 2008!:thumbright:
    Thick/Coarse/Porous/3a/Protein Sensitive

Luvin the Spritz and Condish method! =)
  • Cricket83Cricket83 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Is Biotera Curl Creme the Sally's knock-off version of Biolage Conditioning Balm? May eventually get it and want to make sure it's the right one people are referring to in this thread.
    Cricket83 wrote: »
    Is Biotera Curl Creme the Sally's knock-off version of Biolage Conditioning Balm? May eventually get it and want to make sure it's the right one people are referring to in this thread.

Nope. The curl creme is a styling creme. The Biolage Conditioning Balm is a conditioner and can be found at Sally's and it's called Generic Value Product (or GVP) Matrix Conditioning Balm.

• *Angela**Angela* Posts: 251Registered Users
    Cricket83 wrote: »

This is the knock-off.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sallybeauty.com%2FConditioning-Balm%2FSBS-264074%2Cdefault%2Cpd.html" class="Popup
    3b. Normal porosity. Medium texture. Low elasticity.

CONDITIONERS: GVP The Detangler, Tresemme Naturals Nourishing, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta, Suave Pomegranate Splash, KC Knot Today

LEAVE-IN: Shea Moisture Shea Butter (LOVE!)

STYLERS: CJ Curl Queen (LOVE!), Biotera Gel, LA Looks Sports Gel, AOMM
    I use Sally's generic version of this as a leave in. I've never tried the "real" one. Does it have a different smell? I ask because it looks as though people like the smell of the original one. :flower: Has anyone smelled both?
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition, Deva Supercream, and Deva B'leave-in

• nicurlynicurly Posts: 46Registered Users
    I used to use the gellee when I first went cg back in 2003 and it was HG. They changed the ingredients in about 2005 and now it is not compatible is you cg.
    My hair is naturally a combination of 3B/3C. No longer texturized. All natural! CG Routine: Devapoo, One condition or Elucence. Loving curl creams: AG Recoil, Mop Curl Cream, KMS Curl Cream and never without CK. Gels: HE SMU and KCCC with a little BRHG on top.
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Sally's generic version of this as a leave in. I've never tried the "real" one. Does it have a different smell? I ask because it looks as though people like the smell of the original one. :flower: Has anyone smelled both?

I like the smell of the biolage better. But both of them smell very similar. They gboth have a light floral type scent to them. I think the biolage has a slightly more "high end product" type floral scent but the GVP smells pretty good too. Different versions of the same scent basically.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
    Thanks tinah. I think the place I get my hair cut sells the biolage, so I can pick it up if I like the smell better than the GVP.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

• tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No problem. Honestly for the difference in the price the GVP smells just fine. I like the smell of it. I just think the biolage smells a little better. but not enough to justify the difference in price considering they work exactly the same.

And remember - if you do get the biolage instead - the ULTRA hydrating balm is not CG. It has cones in it. But the regular conditioning balm has no cones and is CG.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
    Ahh, thanks for the tip on the ultra hydrating one.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

• bettinflabettinfla Posts: 389Registered Users
    Bought the GVP conditioning balm at Sally's today-- I'll use it and report back.....
    Homemade FSG, CK, KCCC and BRHG. Co wash w/Suave, or soap bars (occasionally) or Come Clean (Kinky Curly).