Once a year hair straightening

RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
Every year, for Halloween, I straighten my hair. I tell my students that I came to school as a "person with straight hair". (Not too many examples of coarse, kinky, russian jewish hair in this rural area!!!)

I used to straighten it much more regularly, although this was in the days before flat irons.

My question is - what would be a REALLY good product to use (sadly, at this late date, I think I'm limited to drugstore/Sally's/Ulta products). I'm not averse to using silicones for this, but I do recall when I used those silicone "serums" (the thick, clear liquid) it was a terrible greasy non-straightened failure. I'd had some success with Paul Mitchell's "foaming pommade" but the tiniest extra drop brought about greasy, limp strings.

I've got a mass of coarse, dry, kinky frizz that only curls with lots of "goop" in place. There are big hunks all around my head that are almost always straight, and these pieces get super-smooth, glossy, and perfect when I straighten. The rest stays "fuzzy" and coarse looking.

Is there any hope????

I'd also love recommendations as to when to apply the products. While soaking wet? After it's dry? Both?

My goal is to have my straightened hair not be so danged DULL and lifeless looking, yet not be greasy looking. Am I asking too much? =)

If I can find it, I'll attach a picture of "de-gooped" hair.

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    when I straighten my hair, I always use a hair dryer and a round brush to get it as "straight" as I can. It is inherently poofy when I do this though. And there's always bits in the front and underneath where there are obviously "kinks" from the curls trying to poke through.

I section my hair into about 4-5 horizontal layers (about 1-2 inches thick. 1 layer at the base of my neck up to below my ears, another below my ears to above my ears, etc). Taking smaller, 1 inch wide sections of those, I'll spray in a shine or heat protect spray into them, one at a time, straighten, and then move on to the next chunk. My FAVORITE was "Zero Frizz Shine Spray" but it's kind of hard to find now. V05 makes a heat protect spray that I like a lot too... especially love the smell, but it's a little strong if you're sensitive to such things.

In my experience, the shine sprays give me the best soft, non frizzy, silky hair. And the cheaper, the better lol. No joke.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Registered Users Posts: 305 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks - that's really good advice and I appreciate the product recommendations. Since I don't straighten regularly (anymore) it means that it's always a gamble when I go to purchase products. So far I've had no winners so now I feel like I have a place to start.

When I straighten with the blow dryer and brush, it takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, and the whole house stinks of burnt hair. I stink all day, too! At least with the flat iron, it's a quicker process (and it gets so much smoother).

I'd love to get one of those infomercial straighteners but SURE can't justify the cost at this time. =)
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I looooooooooooove my CHI. Love it love it love it. No other straightener comes close to the smooth, frizz free hair the CHI gives me. Totally reccomend it if you ever want a good straightener for about $100
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    Do you use any particular product with the Chi? It's a flat iron, right? Does your hair need to be blow-dried first, or can you straighten it from just a regular dry state?
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Registered Users Posts: 383
    Prior to going CG, I pretty much rolled or curling ironed my hair. I never have liked straight hair very well, particularly on myself. I have allowed my local stylist to straighten my hair exactly 3 times. The first and third times, she used It's a 10 for detangling and heat protection, followed by Redken Align 12 straightening balm (love, love, love how it smells, btw). I was pleasantly surprised; my hair had tons of shine, and layed sleek (a first for my hair). I noticed a HUGE difference the 2nd time I let her straighten. She was fresh out of the Align 12 and It's a 10, and used some other products that don't come to mind atm- probably because it looked Bad.

Based on the two really great experiences, I decided I'd buy the Align and 10, along with a Sedu flat iron. Even having never straightened my hair myself before, it came out much like it did when my stylist first styled it straight. So, while they are not CG, they are great products (they're good, stand alone, and excellent when paired).

I just checked my linen closet, and found that I still have over 90% of each product. If, for any reason you're interested in them, or have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a PM.

:)
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
    ^ PM'd you - such a generous offer, thank you SO much!!

I have a webshots site and anyone who is idly curious to see what I'm going to straighten can click there.

http://community.webshots.com/user/missk95

I've often threatened to use elmer's glue if it would just tamp down some of the coarse, frizziness. =) Finding naturallycurly was the best thing I ever did! The struggle with the curls/frizz is always there, but it's infinitely easier.

Still, I love the looks on the faces of the kids at school when I walk in with my hair poker straight. The other teachers too - sometimes I don't get recognized!

=)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file