CurlTalk

Thank you Biotin and MSM

First Photo 6-19-08

000_1178-vi.jpg

10-12-08

000_1921-vi.jpg

Comments

• curry curlscurry curls Posts: 969Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Wow! What a difference! I hope my vitamins work as well on my hair. :icon_smile:
    Started CG July 8, 2008 :)

3[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Rinse out: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    Leave-in/Styling: Alba Botanica leave in with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner :love2: on top
  • VV Posts: 68Registered Users
    Awesome results! I recently starting taking both and hope I have the same results. That is incredible.

How much are you taking of each?
  • TooSenseTooSense Posts: 229Registered Users
    OMG! That is amazing & fabulous! I am so happy for you! :toothy10:

I've been taking biotin for about 6 years now. My hair has always been thick, but now it grows obscenely fast. Seriously, more than an inch a month. Biotin is da bomb!
  • CCsMamaCCsMama Posts: 92Registered Users
    Wow!!
    ~ Gracie ~
    Stay at home mama to CCB and a new one on the way in July!
    CG since Oct 13, 2008
    3a/bish
    currently re evaluating my product stash...
  • ZigaZagaZigaZaga Posts: 473Registered Users
    Yes, you thank them!!!!!

Quite the difference. Are you noticing any difference in your curl?

I really "should" get better at taking mine. I am so on and off with those sort of things.
    -3A?
    -Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
    -salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
    -CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
    -Growing it out
    click here for fotki pics
    -pw: ziggy
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How much are you taking of the Biotin and MSM?
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • babybelbabybel Posts: 56Registered Users
    Wow, this sounds really promising! I only started taking them yesterday after reading about it on here recently.

Trying to grow out my old highlights, but it's taking aaaages... My last highlights were done about 1 1/2 years ago, and my natural colour is now down to mid-ear... my hair grows slower than anyone I know!
    2c babyfine high porosity UK curly, CG for two years 2008-2010, now back for a second round! Hair loves protein, hates any kind of oil! Conditioners: ASDA Apple or similar for co-wash. AOHR, Aubrey GBP, Giovanni Root 66, Giovanni DLI. Styling: a mix of equal parts Shockwaves Gel and a curl cream (LOOB, MopC, Naked or Boots Pink) Plop, products, 80% pixiecurl diffuse, air dry the rest, STC, a little gel spray for hold.
  • jackiecjackiec Posts: 87Registered Users
    what is MSM please?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fjackiecoh%2F91908%2F" class="Popup
    pw:curls

3a/3b curls fine hair
    Deva lowpoo
    Deva Angell

[IMG]file:////prod/jcohen$/My%20Documents/my%20pictures/IMAGE_133.jpg[/IMG]
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    Speckla I can see the difference,beautiful!! I love Biotin and MSM too!
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • Babyk005Babyk005 Posts: 205Registered Users
    i started taking biotin,msm and fish oil pills last week. I did a big chop in August so im hoping this will speed up my growth. I look awful with short hair!
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    Does anyone know if Biotin has any drug interactions, specifically birth control pills?
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    Not sure about interactions, but I do know biotin gave me raging headaches. I had to stop taking it.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    1 tablespoon liquid Centrum has 300 mcg of Biotin.
    I take 5-6000 mcg (5 or 6 pills) of Biotin.
    1300mg of MSM. It's mixed in with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. It really helps with my joints pain and popping and an extra benefit is hair growth. MSM is short for methylsulfonylmethane.

I'm not sure about bc but I know it's not effecting the bioidentical hormones that I'm taking.

I haven't noticed any difference with my curl pattern.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, so I get 3000 in the Walmart Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins that I've been taking for several months, plus MSM in the joints pill, not sure how much. I may have to try taking a couple pills of straight Biotin to bump up the dosage. I'm letting my gray grow in and would like to speed up this transition process.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • CaleilaniCaleilani Posts: 728Registered Users
    SydneyCurl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Biotin has any drug interactions, specifically birth control pills?
    SydneyCurl,I'm on alot of meds.and it doesn't interfere with them.But,to be sure ask your doctor about the BC pills.
    3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    Whoa, Specks - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I may have to try that combo, because... er... uh... um... there were some scissors laying nearby a couple weeks ago and... uh... see, what had happened was... uh...

:sad11: :sad10: :confused2: :oops:
    [SIZE="1"]I need some quick hair growth back... [/SIZE]

:goofy:
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    did it make your face break out? i have biotin and msm and the msm made me break out a bit...i think the biotin was starting to also. i do take fish oil as well now though! im doing vitamins so i dont get sick through the winter but if it will help my hair grow too then yay!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • curlymaybecurlymaybe Posts: 354Registered Users
    The 'Healthnotes' section of the Vitamin Shoppe website has lots of great info about vitamins. Here's the biotin page:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vitaminshoppe.com%2Fcontent%2Fen%2Fhealthguide%2Fhncontent.jsp%3Fsubmit%3DHealth%2520Info%2520Search%26amp%3Borg%3DVSI%26amp%3BContentID%3D2809001%26amp%3Bcategory%3DSupp%26amp%3Btitle%3DBiotin%26amp%3Btype%3D%23Side-Effects" class="Popup
    There's a link to the 'drug interactions' page right above the picture.
    Hair loves: aloe vera juice, cocoa butter, camellia oil

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Never forget, justice is what love looks like in public." ~ Cornel West
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    curlymaybe wrote: »
    The 'Healthnotes' section of the Vitamin Shoppe website has lots of great info about vitamins. Here's the biotin page:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vitaminshoppe.com%2Fcontent%2Fen%2Fhealthguide%2Fhncontent.jsp%3Fsubmit%3DHealth%2520Info%2520Search%26amp%3Borg%3DVSI%26amp%3BContentID%3D2809001%26amp%3Bcategory%3DSupp%26amp%3Btitle%3DBiotin%26amp%3Btype%3D%23Side-Effects" class="Popup
    There's a link to the 'drug interactions' page right above the picture.

Thanks! Looks like I'm good to try it out. :)
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
    WOW, Speckla!!! Gorge and shiny curls in both pics, but I've never seen such a difference in density/thickness in just 4 mos.!

Nice!
    Photobucket acct: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs432.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq48%2FKindaWavy%2F" class="Popup
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    I forgot to ask...

Speckla, did you happen to notice more hair growth in "unwanted" places?
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users
    Speckla, how wonderful! You must be very pleased.
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • xyzioloxyziolo Posts: 232Registered Users
    TooSense wrote: »
    OMG! That is amazing & fabulous! I am so happy for you! :toothy10:

I've been taking biotin for about 6 years now. My hair has always been thick, but now it grows obscenely fast. Seriously, more than an inch a month. Biotin is da bomb!

What kind do you take, and what's the dosage?

Thank you kindly!
  • LilaGirlLilaGirl Posts: 1,177Registered Users
    When I had bad fallout, I took obscene amounts of MSM (I would buy it in bulk). My hair eventually grew back and I was glowing (It's used to make horses' manes shiny).

Biotin I don't think ever worked for me. Maybe I never took large enough amounts.

But now I'm nursing, so I avoid things I don't absolutely need.
    3b/fine/normal porosity/normal elasticity

LOVES behentrimonium methosulfate
    (don't ask me to pronounce that!)

Want to grow it long again!
    And simply want to figure out this hair of mine!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Heh, Speck, could you repost the hair growth pics of you after you had been taking biotin and MSM for a while?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • stylistlaciestylistlacie Posts: 10Registered Users
    I need to try these vitamins out! ;-)
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    I am a hypersensitive person with a host of bad allergies, but I decided to try the biotin/MSM combo last year.

I got acne from the Biotin and a bad rash from the MSM that required a visit to the dermatologist, steroids, and creams. Sigh.

Well, hair at least stopped falling out, and it may even be slightly refilling, but I wish I could have continued with the biotin/MSM regimen, as I've heard from more than one person they work well.

But beware if you have a hyperreactive system (like me). It may make you look WORSE (skin-wise).
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    MirCurls wrote: »
    I am a hypersensitive person with a host of bad allergies, but I decided to try the biotin/MSM combo last year.

I got acne from the Biotin and a bad rash from the MSM that required a visit to the dermatologist, steroids, and creams. Sigh.

Well, hair at least stopped falling out, and it may even be slightly refilling, but I wish I could have continued with the biotin/MSM regimen, as I've heard from more than one person they work well.

But beware if you have a hyperreactive system (like me). It may make you look WORSE (skin-wise).

I had the issue with acne when taking biotin/msm. I also wish I could have continued with it because so many people have such good luck with it.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • TinkerbellaRTinkerbellaR Posts: 2Registered Users
    they say to drink more water and the breakouts will go away. I haven't been taking it tooo long but i haven't experienced any breakouts yet.
  • KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    Ugh. Stupid iPhone won't show your pictures :(. I bet it's really nice though, but I have a few questions.
    Did hair in other place grow or get thicker, too?
    If your hair got thicker, was it already thin or did it just thin out?
    Do you take the MSM in powder, pill, or capsule?
    Did you get weird dreams or other side effects from MSM or biotin?