I've decided to chemically straighten

krisgilkrisgil Registered Users Posts: 24
I've decided that after 41 years of curly 3b hair, I'm ready to have it chemically straightened. Straightened may not be the right word to use. I really just want to loosen up the curls. I've tried different products and even purchased a flat iron to try to acheive my desired look, but because my hair is so coarse, it just doesn't look right. My question is what type of product (texturizer or relaxer) should my hair dresser be using to acheive my desired result? Specific kinds would be appreciated!

Comments

• misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Registered Users Posts: 736 Curl Novice
    i also have 3b hair that is somewhat coarse and i can tell you from experience a chemical process (straightener or relaxer) will probably not look the way you desire (if it doesn't look the way you want when you use a flat iron).

any chemical process (perm, relaxer, even dye jobs!) will make your hair more porous and coarse.

i thought getting my hair relaxed would make it more smooth and shiny and it did NOT!

i am not trying to talk you out of it, i just wanted to inform you of my previous personal experience.
    best of luck to you though and i HOPE it does turn out how you wish!
    HENNA HEAD
    3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
    CG since 3/08
    HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
    overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
    honey after leave-in
    satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
    USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
    ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
    http://public.fotki.com/misfitcurls/
    by: Riot Crrl!
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • krisgilkrisgil Registered Users Posts: 24
    Thanks for responding, Misfitcurls. That is something that I'm very afraid of! What have you found that works for you to acheive looser curls?
    heavier products usually lengthen my curls for me (although i am the opposite on preference! i love my curls boingy!)
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kckt[/buylink] has really softened the curl in me and i think i kinda like it (as a change in style!). also maybe combing your product in and NOT scrunching very much. basically try the opposite of what everyone is doing to ENCOURAGE curls (so no plopping, diffusing, scrunching, use heavier products etc!)
    i would think those things would be worth a shot before doing something permanent (that you may not even like!)
    good luck and let me know how it turns out!
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Registered Users Posts: 1,294
    hi krisgil! i just wanted to chime in my experience with relaxers. i have coarse, 3B curls as well and experienced the same thing misfitcurls did. it also made my hair extremely dry, frizzy and break off in places. my hair looked far worse than when i was just blowfrying/flat ironing every day!! :crybaby:

for me, conditioning and babying my hair has made all the difference! my hair is shiny, bouncy, healthy, and relatively frizz free! i'm also with misfit and like 'boingy' curls, so i don't really have any input there for you, but i know you're not alone in your quest. take a peek around here, you might just stumble upon your answer! ;)
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
    First I want to say that you have the hair I want!!!!!!
    It is absolutely gorgeous! What is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]? If they help to lengthen your curls maybe I'll give them a shot.

My hair is layered and shorter on the top so I have to blow the top out so that it doesn't become really kinky curly when it dries. I've never been able to find a produut that I can use that doesn't make my curls look much kinker on top than the rest of my head. I've tried to grow the top out but it gets to that in between point and I just don't know what to do with it anymore, not to mention that I don't have a lot of time to spend on my hair in the morning! My hair is slightly past shoulder length when dry. the bottom of my hair is really frizzy, even after loads of CK! I would love to grow it but it doesn't seem to grow nearly as quickly as when I was young.

How can I find the products I want to acheive the look I'm after?
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    I have tight 3b curls and spent 8 years chemically straightening. My stylist used the Redken straightener and I have very good results with that for the first 1-2 years. My hair is not coarse though. It is medium in texture. My problems with straightening began with the damage it did to my hair. I couldn't just straighten once a year. I had to do it 3-4 times a year because the new growth is obviously not straight. Even straightened, I still had to blow-dry with a round brush and flat with a flat iron EVERY time I washed my hair. Just making the new growth match the straightened hair was damaging with all the stretching and heat applied to it. With coloring and highlighting, by year 3 I had hair breaking off at the new growth demarcation line by the handfuls! The breakage was incredible and embarassing.

The decision to cut off the straightened hair and grow out my curls was a tough one. But even though growing out can be tough, my curls are so healthy that I know I'm doing the right thing to accept my curls.

Like you, my curl is so tight that I don't have to "encourage" the curl. To elongate the curls I use heavier products and I will rake them into wet hair without scrunching. When my hair gets longer the "weight" should help to stretch out the curls too, and I am looking forward to that, but it is a long process.

I spent almost 50 years fighting against my curl. Now, I put that energy to much better use working on who I am, not what my hair is. I am learning to embrace my curls and believe me, not matter what form my curl takes, healthy, shiny curls ALWAYS look better than damaged straight hair.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• winifredwinifred Registered Users Posts: 295
    I don't have 3b hair but I had my hair chemically relaxed for years. It never looked like naturally straight hair. People, especially stylists, constantly asked me if my hair was relaxed, "Your hair is relaxed, right?"

I decided to go natural in Sept. 2007, and I'm still growing out a relaxer from July 2007. That relaxer was less intense than previous ones, because I wanted some wave in my hair. Well, I got some wave, but mostly frizz and dryness. My hair is much healthier now.

I'm like you in that I don't want to encourage any additional curl, I just want my natural curl, slightly elongated. I comb in conditioner and leave it in, I don't scrunch, plop, or diffuse. I put clips near the ends of my hair at the nape of my neck for elongation (as suggested in the Curly Girl book). I air dry without touching it.

Your kinkier waves might elongate once you grow those shorter layers out, although I have long layers and I still have kinky bits near the top of my head.

Hope this helps and best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Mrs. NicoleMrs. Nicole Registered Users Posts: 6
    You should really look into flat ironing or pressing.
    I spoke with my hairdresser and she agrees that I will not get the look I want by combing a straightener through my hair. Has anyone had luck with a reverse perm? My hairdresser says she would use large perm rods to change the curl pattern so that my curls are more loose. I'm still on the fence about what to do. My appt. is this Friday!
  • aimeezingaimeezing Registered Users Posts: 13
    I'm really curious to hear what happened. Did you go for the reverse perm?
    3a/3b shoulder-length mousy brown hair
    No-poo since 2004
    CG since 2009

Feb 2009: considering a texturizer to loosen these curls a bit.
  • destinyyydestinyyy Registered Users Posts: 1
    if you want to acheive shiny straight hair you could try a japenese straightening which actually opens up the cuticules in your hair and pullls then straight
    i got it done about a year ago and my hair went from my worst enemy to my best friend
  • starcrosserstarcrosser Registered Users Posts: 183 Curl Connoisseur
    I am 3a/b and did a Rusk Anti Curl treatment a few years ago hoping for results like yours. I only came out of it with more damage and really undefined and frizzy hair. It had a little less curl but was very hard to style curly after that. I ended up having to flat iron every day until it grew out. It ended up being way more high maintenance. What a bummer.

I agree with the advice of the others: use heavy products and comb them through. I often airdry over night and put my hair in a bun for a day. Then the 2nd and 3rd day hair has big loose waves that I like.
    3A curls, fine texture, thin (it's always been that way). A few inches past shoulder length and would like it to grow very long.

Latest routine:
    Sulfate-free shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, Elucence, Bedhead Superstar
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, DermOrganic Masque, Redken All Soft
    Style: DermOrganic Argan Oil Treatment/Serum, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, Kerastase Nectar Thermique, Oyin Hair Dew
  • Fiyah86Fiyah86 Registered Users Posts: 11
    I also had rusk anti curl done, it was horrific...i had numerous grey patches where the product actually burned my hair....Anyways my recommendation to you is to try a Brazilian Keratin Treatment. I had 3b hair and the brazilian turned my hair into beautiful waves. Straightening it has become really easy, or I can leave it dry in frizz free waves (with only leave in conditioner, no other product necessary) or I can scrunch and get my curls back. Theres no regrowth cuz it just comes out as you wash (usually about 3 months) and doesnt damage, it actually helps hairs conition a lot.

I love this treatment, its just amazing
  • Vagabond DavotchkaVagabond Davotchka Banned Banned Users Posts: 156
    What kind of hair do you want - straight or straighter?

I thought about going back to a relaxer, and if I did I will probably do what I had been doing toward the end of my relaxing years - buying a 'kiddie' relaxer like Tender Care or Just For Me and leaving it on like 5 minutes. Not super straight hair, but straight enough wear a down 'straight look' style and it still had bounce and body.

I think the key is just not to leave it long. Minimum - probably 3 minutes and don't go past 5 mins. On a 3-ish hair that will probably give you a nice straighten without drying it out too much.
  • aimeezingaimeezing Registered Users Posts: 13
    I took the plunge! I did a texturizer (don't know the brand) at a salon near me. The hair dresser left it on for just a couple of minutes and my 3A/B hair is now a 2A. I have to go back in 2-3 months to touch up the roots. It seems like it would be easy to straighten, but I like the gentle waves.

So far it feels great and I can run my hands through my hair. Oh my god, I haven't been able to do since I was 11. :wav:
    3a/3b shoulder-length mousy brown hair
    No-poo since 2004
    CG since 2009

Feb 2009: considering a texturizer to loosen these curls a bit.
  • stormstorm Registered Users Posts: 204 Curl Neophyte
    Before discovering CG, i got my hair relaxed/rebonded around 5 years ago..it was ok at first..in the sense that i didnt have much hair fall..but i gor major hair fall after about 2 weeks..It significantly weakens the hair shaft and dries it out. I started massaging mustard/olive oil into my hair and scalp pre-poo and that halped alot.
    Now i look back and i wish id known about CG then.Relaxing was a big waste of money and hair for me.
  • curlykat73curlykat73 Registered Users Posts: 33
    I have 3b hair that I have also had the Anti curl done to. I haven't had my roots done in about 6 months and I'm trying not to go back to this process. I have thick but soft curls. I rather wear my hair straight then curly. I flat iron it about once or maybe twice a week (depends on how dirty it is, but never more then twice). Its my new groth that curls up and I have so many split ends. I trim every 6 weeks and I deep condish at least once a month.

I guess my question is, is the breakage due to the anti curl? Once the relaxer grows out will my hair be healthier even though I flat iron it?
    3b I think

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file