Weekly deep conditioning?

jennifermariajennifermaria Curl NovicePosts: 179Registered Users Curl Novice
Hi guys,

I know weekly deep conditioning is listed as one of the guidelines in the grow out guidelines--I was wondering if this is absolutely necessary if you don't blow-dry/diffuse your hair or color it, or otherwise don't do much that would damage it? I condition everyday, co-wash every other day, and use leave-in everyday, so I worry a little that a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]weekly deep conditioning treatment[/buylink] may lead to overconditioning, which I'm prone to experience.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jennifer
2c wavy, medium porosity, medium density, coarse

Current go-to products: AIA co-wash, Mop-Top Bamboo Conditioner, AIA Leave-In, Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic, LALSG

Comments

• RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    If your hair is already healthy I don't think it's needed.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Hi guys,

I know weekly deep conditioning is listed as one of the guidelines in the grow out guidelines--I was wondering if this is absolutely necessary if you don't blow-dry/diffuse your hair or color it, or otherwise don't do much that would damage it? I condition everyday, co-wash every other day, and use leave-in everyday, so I worry a little that a [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]weekly deep conditioning treatment[/buylink] may lead to overconditioning, which I'm prone to experience.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Jennifer

I only DT about once every 3 or 4 months - before and after I go for highlights. I'm with ryanne, if your hair isn't damaged or dry why bother. I overcondition very easily and it usually takes a few days to recover after I do. My hair is growing fairly well with the moisture I am getting. Almost BSL when straight.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • jennifermariajennifermaria Curl Novice Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Novice
    Thanks, you guys! This makes me feel better. My hair looks TERRIBLE when it's overconditioned, and with me conditioning AND using a leave-in every day, I just know I'm asking for it if I use a WDT on top of that every week LOL.

I do have to say, though, that I think I may have to start diffusing my hair much more frequently--as my hair grows longer (and mind you, it's just barely past my shoulders at this point, so it's not long), it gets weighed down more, especially at the crown--so I worry that I will start putting stress on my hair that way. I've read about people who diffuse every day with no issue, but for some reason my hair's always been extra sensitive to that sort of thing, so I wonder if at that point I may have to do the WTD more often.
    2c wavy, medium porosity, medium density, coarse

Current go-to products: AIA co-wash, Mop-Top Bamboo Conditioner, AIA Leave-In, Uncle Funky’s Daughter Curly Magic, LALSG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file