Cowashing a toddler's hair?

WilliamsMamaWilliamsMama Posts: 17Registered Users
My son is 17 months old and has 2a/2b hair and I'm not sure what to do with it.
My mom, who has pin straight hair, thinks I should cut it (it's starting to mat and tangle in the back) and my husband, who has 2a hair when he grows it out, is beginning to agree. I just can't bring myself to cut his beautiful curls!
Is cowashing safe for a baby that young?
What kinds of condishes do people use for babies?
I am a little concerned about getting it in his eyes, of course.
3b/3c, Afric-Asian Curly Mama
Aussie Moist, Olive Oil, Olive Oil IC Fantasia with Sparklelites

Comments

• monequmonequ Posts: 1Registered Users
    My son is 17 months old and has 2a/2b hair and I'm not sure what to do with it.
    My mom, who has pin straight hair, thinks I should cut it (it's starting to mat and tangle in the back) and my husband, who has 2a hair when he grows it out, is beginning to agree. I just can't bring myself to cut his beautiful curls!
    Is cowashing safe for a baby that young?
    What kinds of condishes do people use for babies?
    I am a little concerned about getting it in his eyes, of course.
    That depends on you and your child. Does your son mind a little extra time it takes to be groomed? If not, I'd say a dab of baby lotion or detangler on the tangly parts should help. My cousins and I were discussing this around labor day. Their twin sons have type 3 curls and have yet to get a hair cut. They're 19 1/2 months old. She says she wets their hair in the morning; if it feels dry or matted she adds a little detangler or lotion to their wet heads and coming is a breeze. I noticed their curyly locks were snarl-free through out the day including nap time.

I hope it works for you. Monequ
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    my little girl is 16 months old with 3a/b curls and shes pretty much been on the curly girl routine since day one.
    i use a sulfate free shampoo to shampoo her hair once a week (currently using lush's seanick shampoo bar but previously i used burts bee's baby shampoo bar). the rest of the week i co wash her hair. i get the trial size bottles of conditioner for her and they last months since she only needs a dab. ive used kiss my face whenever conditioner and now we're trying out giovanni smooth as silk conditioner on her hair. i get the small trial size bottle from target. for detangling, kiss my face has a spray detangler for kids. it comes in an orange bottle (cant get that at target). i bought some deva curl set it free to spray on the back patch of her hair that tends to get dry and matted the easiest.
    also, she sleeps on a satin blanket. i just tucked the edges into her crib and use it as a sheet. it REALLY makes a difference.
  • sillyelliesillyellie Posts: 63Registered Users
    My little brother ( age 4 ) has curls like that also. He actually washes his own hair with Vo5 conditioner. After he gets out the tub , he puts a little baby oil mixed with baby lotion on his body and hair. All day his curls stay nice =]. He is a big boy, he can barely speak yet but he can but a mean part on the side of his head. He even loves sweater vests with khakis how adorablely preppy is that?!:sad1:

this is a picture of him before bedtime
    (im faking my texture with bantu knots:toothy10:)
    http://a248.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/68/l_9e84ca28479a41bccfb1c8b7d83473cf.jpg
  • CammybCammyb Posts: 576Registered Users
    My son is 18 months and I'm growing out his 3c hair and I co-wash his hair weekly. I then spritz his shea butter,glycerin mix into his hair and make a loose ponytail. Everyone thinks he's cute with long hair. Good luck in trying to keep his hair long (it must be hard).
    uXBum4.png

"There’s just an certain aura a woman exudes when she has natural hair. She walks differently. Her swag is on full tilt. There’s a sense of confidence and je ne sais quoi that emanates from her spirit. Whatever it is it’s sexy as all hell and turns me on" -Anslem Samuel
    www.fotki.com/1cammyb
    www.piinkcamellias.blogspot.com
    www.youtube.com/1cammyb
  • lovingmycurls01lovingmycurls01 Posts: 219Registered Users
    What exactly is Cowhashing because I have been thinking about doing somthing with my sons hair also. My son is 2 years old and he has about 3c 4a hair I think and I have been washing it with the baby bath and hair wash. Well for a while I noticed that it has been drying his hair out. I love his curls and someone told me I should cut it because it is not looking cute anymore. I think it's only because I have yet to find the proper products to put in his hair. So yesterday I went and brought some conditioner for myself and suave shampoo for my son since it is the only shampoo that I saw that said tear free. I really want something that is going to soften his hair and bring it back to life. I don't want to cut it. Does anyone have any suggestions.
    Big Chop OCT 2008

Products:

IC Fantasia Gel/ mixed with olive oil ( I put it in myself)
    H20 spritzes
    Karens Body Beautiful Hair Milk
    Jamaican black castor oil
    DevaCare One Condition
    DevaCare No Poo
    DeVaCurl Heaven In Hair
    KBB Hair Milk
    KBB Hair Butter

http://public.fotki.com/lovingmycurls01/
    pw: curls

http://www.youtube.com/lovingmycurls01

I'm learning so much from you naturally curly ladies. Thanks so much.
  • brdudeonbrdudeon Posts: 66Registered Users
    My little boy is 20 months. He's got 2b/2c hair that is very fine. It gets matted in the back when it's dry. I can't just co-wash it because he's a little boy and gets dirty. I had to wash syrup out of his hair last night.:goofy: I try to only wash about once a week with Burt's Bees baby bee shampoo. It's sulfate free. I coat his hair with conditioner on the shampoo days. I co-wash the rest of the time and leave it on his hair for most of his bath either way. I use Suave Tropical coconut because it's lightweight enough for his fine hair.

If his hair gets matted during the day or in the morning after sleeping on it all night, I spray with a bottle of watered down conditioner that I also use on myself. I put about a tablespoon of the Suave coconut into a spray bottle filled with water. It is just enough moisture to get rid of the matting and perk up his curls without making his hair droopy.
    Lots of medium to fine, extremely porous and color damaged hair.
    Suave Tropical Coconut for co-wash
    Bed Head Tigi Moisture Maniac
    FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
    Gel

CG since November 2007
    Slowly growing out the color damaged hair. I'm halfway there!!:p
  • afrikurlafrikurl Posts: 736Registered Users
    What exactly is Cowhashing because I have been thinking about doing somthing with my sons hair also. My son is 2 years old and he has about 3c 4a hair I think and I have been washing it with the baby bath and hair wash. Well for a while I noticed that it has been drying his hair out. I love his curls and someone told me I should cut it because it is not looking cute anymore. I think it's only because I have yet to find the proper products to put in his hair. So yesterday I went and brought some conditioner for myself and suave shampoo for my son since it is the only shampoo that I saw that said tear free. I really want something that is going to soften his hair and bring it back to life. I don't want to cut it. Does anyone have any suggestions.

My daughter has 4a curls and fine hair. I just discovered suave conditioner for kids. it is also tear free. so far so good. you should also put a leave in creame or conditioner, similiar to what you would use in your hair while it's still damp.
  • akilamoniqueakilamonique Posts: 302Registered Users
    I co-wash my son's hair(have for the past year) If his hair really needs soap I use African black soap.
    For extra moisture I use raw shea butter or castor oil.
    ACV Rinse 2-3 times a week
    Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    Curly Kinks: Satin Root, Coil Jam
    Castor oil on scalp
  • FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    My son is 7 months and his hair is starting to grow a lot more (the top section at least) and it gets knots at the ends. I used to find myself untangling knots every time I was doing his hair. I was wondering the same thing you were, but since I started using conditioners in his hair instead of just water or the regular shampoos, it's been more manageable.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    subbrock wrote: »
    my little girl is 16 months old with 3a/b curls and shes pretty much been on the curly girl routine since day one.
    i use a sulfate free shampoo to shampoo her hair once a week (currently using lush's seanick shampoo bar but previously i used burts bee's baby shampoo bar). the rest of the week i co wash her hair. i get the trial size bottles of conditioner for her and they last months since she only needs a dab. ive used kiss my face whenever conditioner and now we're trying out giovanni smooth as silk conditioner on her hair. i get the small trial size bottle from target. for detangling, kiss my face has a spray detangler for kids. it comes in an orange bottle (cant get that at target). i bought some deva curl set it free to spray on the back patch of her hair that tends to get dry and matted the easiest.
    also, she sleeps on a satin blanket. i just tucked the edges into her crib and use it as a sheet. it REALLY makes a difference.

Just in case you were unaware- all lush shampoo (and oddly their conditioners) contain sulphates. But if it works well for your little ones hair, then I dont see a reason to stop using it.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    kat180 wrote: »
    Just in case you were unaware- all lush shampoo (and oddly their conditioners) contain sulphates. But if it works well for your little ones hair, then I dont see a reason to stop using it.

yeah i know it has a sulfate. i stay away from SLS like its the plague, but gentler sulfates dont bother her hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file