CurlTalk

light/discolored spots on skin

Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
i noticed these small (half cm in diameter or less) light, discolored, almost perfectly round spots (3 bigger ones and two really small ones) on my upper chest area. they showed up sometime during the summer and i don't know what they are. recently, i think they've gotten slightly bigger, but i don't know for sure. i may just be imagining it. does anyone know what it is? are they anything to be worried about? something i should see someone about?

i have pictures.

thanks a lot in advance!!

DSCF1508.JPG

DSCF1504.JPG

DSCF1500.JPG

DSCF1499.JPG
*~*displaced yooper*~*
:hockey: \m/ \m/
3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3

Comments

• hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Posts: 628Registered Users
    You may have vitiligo. How old are you?

My ex has it, and he first noticed a perfectly round spot like that on his calf in his early 20s.

He is now in his late 50s and he has lost pigment in about half his skin all over his body. His hands look like they have been dipped in bleach, and he has no pigment where his hair used to be on his head, but some left on his face. Big spots on his neck and body.

I don't think there really is a treatment or cure, at least his doctors told him that.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
  • CalamityMCalamityM Posts: 540Registered Users
    It could be vitilago. It could also be sun damage. My mom has small white spots that have formed on her arms and legs. It's nothing serious, and they don't spread. I think there is a name for it, but I can't think of it at the moment! Do you plan to get them checked out?
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    It looks like vitiligo. My sister has it. She has had it since she was a child and it hasn't spread that much and she still looks like herself and has no issues or problems. I think I've seen a couple of patches on my skin, too, and it's not a big deal.

I wouldn't think it is sun damage, since we (people of colour) usually hyperpigment in the sun, not get lighter.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    I think it is very doubtful that it is vitiligo. It looks to me like a condition called tinea versicolor. This is a condition that most often is seen in the summertime and usually fades in the winter. It is a fungus that everyone has one their skin (so not a true fungal infection) but on some people the areas turn white. It is usually asymptomatic and sometimes a little flaky. You could try some Selsun Blue shampoo (it over the counter) and when you shower just wash those areas with it. Also pick up some Lamisil cream and apply that to area 2xdaily. Give it a few weeks if it doesnt resolve you could see a dermatologist and they can prescribe something orally. This condition is completely harmless..so if you didnt treat it often times it resolves on its own but it can be recurring.
    Being a dermatology nurse we see this condition alot. I used to get it myself and then it finally resoloved on its own.
    .png
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    briccagrl wrote: »
    I think it is very doubtful that it is vitiligo. It looks to me like a condition called tinea versicolor. This is a condition that most often is seen in the summertime and usually fades in the winter. It is a fungus that everyone has one their skin (so not a true fungal infection) but on some people the areas turn white. It is usually asymptomatic and sometimes a little flaky. You could try some Selsun Blue shampoo (it over the counter) and when you shower just wash those areas with it. Also pick up some Lamisil cream and apply that to area 2xdaily. Give it a few weeks if it doesnt resolve you could see a dermatologist and they can prescribe something orally. This condition is completely harmless..so if you didnt treat it often times it resolves on its own but it can be recurring.
    Being a dermatology nurse we see this condition alot. I used to get it myself and then it finally resoloved on its own.

I had this! When I found out what it was my family teased me all the time, "Stay away from Lissa, she has a fungus." :?
    I cleaned it with Selsun Blue like you described and it finally resolved.
    Rebecca I have a similar skin tone and it looked the same on me.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users

Heh, beat me to it! I shoulda scrolled before searching. Here's a link, anyway /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aad.org%2Fpublic%2Fpublications%2Fpamphlets%2Fcommon_tinea.html" class="Popup
    Photobucket acct: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs432.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq48%2FKindaWavy%2F" class="Popup
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • LiveFreeDieCurlyLiveFreeDieCurly Posts: 183Registered Users
    I am SO glad you posted about this! I had a spot pop up this summer & couldn't figure out what it was. My bf was the one that pointed it out & was really worried about it. I showed his mother, who is a nurse, & she didn't know what it was either. I don't have the money to go see a dermatologist. :sad:

2932146794_3cc93945dc.jpg?v=0
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    3b, brunette
    hmmm...Is it just the one patch LiveFree? Was there a mole in the center of that at one time?
    .png
  • LiveFreeDieCurlyLiveFreeDieCurly Posts: 183Registered Users
    hmmm...Is it just the one patch LiveFree? Was there a mole in the center of that at one time?

Yes, just one. No, there was never a mole but it does have a tiny, darker spot in the middle that you can't really see in the picture.
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    3b, brunette

Yes, just one. No, there was never a mole but it does have a tiny, darker spot in the middle that you can't really see in the picture.

Its kinda hard to tell but it almost looks like a halo nevi... /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dermatologychannel.net%2Fmoles%2Fspitznevus.shtml" class="Popup
    .png
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    thanks for the comments everyone. my mom says she gets light spots on her arms sometimes (she's much fairer-skinned than i am and she still notices them), and i'm going home next weekend so i will show them to her too. in the meantime, i'll try the selun blue and lamasil (thanks for the suggestions, briccagrl!), and think about seeing a dermatologist too to see what they say.
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I have similar spots on my arms that appeared last summer. Although they are smaller. I was concerned about it but didn't have insurance at the time and couldn't afford to see a dermatologist. When winter came around they disappeared. They were back this summer. Very bizarre.
    3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
    combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png
  • KDQKDQ Posts: 1Registered Users
    Quick Question.
    I'm new here. But i was just reading the first message and i have the exact same thing. But I've got a lot more on my lower back and abit on my upperback and one or two on my arms. They're not flaky. I went to the doctor and he told me it might be vitiligo so im a little freaked out. But i have a mole in one of my spots so I'm not sure now if that means it is vitiligo??...Any suggestions??... I've had T.V before but didnt treat it properly because it always seemed to go away...
  • terinficterinfic Posts: 2Registered Users
    Hello,

I have the exact same problem as you do, and have spent countless hours on the internet searching for an explanation and I finally came across your photo on Google which describes my symptoms exactly. What happened to your spots and how did you treat them?

I would really appreciate a response!
  • terinficterinfic Posts: 2Registered Users
    I am SO glad you posted about this! I had a spot pop up this summer & couldn't figure out what it was. My bf was the one that pointed it out & was really worried about it. I showed his mother, who is a nurse, & she didn't know what it was either. I don't have the money to go see a dermatologist. :sad:

2932146794_3cc93945dc.jpg?v=0

Hello,

I have the exact same problem as you do, and have spent countless hours on the internet searching for an explanation and I finally came across your photo on Google which describes my symptoms exactly. What happened to your spots and how did you treat them?

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    This thread is five years old. You may or may not get a response...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • DanicakingDanicaking Posts: 1Registered Users
    terinfic wrote: »
    Hello,

I too have the same problem which seems to have spread all over my body. In previous replies, I read that washing with selsun blue shampoo and using lamisil works. It usually fades over time by using these products.
  • skachdaniskachdani Posts: 1Registered Users
    I had exactly the same thing. I was very worried what if it is vitiligo. I went to see my GP doctor. She said it looks like fungal infection and she prescribed me a lotion to apply once a day. She also said to try it for a month and see how it works
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Exactly what I was thinking. My dad has vitiligo, but we all seem to have had tinea versicolor on and off in the summers growing up.
  • Debbie.RolliDebbie.Rolli Posts: 1Registered Users
    This is commonly spread if you share towels or share clothes with someone who already has the fungus. You can use salicic acid (depending on what country you're in you can get some at pharmacy in low potency ) to treat which is why dandruff shampoos work they have this active ingredient in themail or you can use Lamisil foot fungus creams to treat. Make sure to stay on top of cleaning the area well when showering and then apply treatment daily 2x per day for at least 2 to 3 weeks or until it's gone. The key is persistence on treating it. If you do this for a few days and give up the fungus will stay. Best of luck to everyone stay clean! I know how frustrating it can be to have this fungus I have had it.
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    i noticed these small (half cm in diameter or less) light, discolored, almost perfectly round spots (3 bigger ones and two really small ones) on my upper chest area. they showed up sometime during the summer and i don't know what they are. recently, i think they've gotten slightly bigger, but i don't know for sure. i may just be imagining it. does anyone know what it is? are they anything to be worried about? something i should see someone about?

i have pictures.

thanks a lot in advance!! "

----

it looks like vitiligo. if you google it there is a list of foods to avoid (such as any food ending in 'berry' (blueberries, strawberries, etc.), sour foods, citrus, watermelon, melons, etc)- and the like..

It's kind of like any other immune disorder in that it is not 'contagious or hereditary per-se, but can become emotionally problematic over time as/if it worsens or becomes more active--

medically speaking; the best topical ointment right now is called Protopic (tacrolimus)... quite a bit of interest has come up on this topical in the last few years...

and Natural treatments include rubbing ginger root on the affected areas.

A lot of people with vitiligo usually already have symptoms of other immune-disorders as well, so it is something you will want to look into with your medical dermatologist.
    HTH!
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
  • pigeoncapigeonca Posts: 17Registered Users
    Pityriasis alba or morphea are also possible,