OK natural curlies-- What products do you use to color your hair?

shel312shel312 Registered Users Posts: 96
I color my hair to cover grey, looking to go more natural, but still want to get rid of the grey...any suggestions?
Shampoo once-twice a week with: Avalon Organics Lemon Poo or Organic Soap Bars
Condish: AOWC, AOHR, and Nature's Gate Aloe mixed with honey
Product: LA Looks Gel (yellow)...looking for something natural, with no luck!

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    What color is your hair/do you want to be? I absolutely love henna for my red. If you want brunette you can use henna and indigo or henna and buxus, you can also add cassia to a mix to add more golden tones/temper red, etc. I haven't used any of the above accept body art quality henna, but there are many websites that can give you good information on using these. If you're interested, one great informative website is Henna For Hair. And here is some info they provide for coloring grey...:)
  • shel312shel312 Registered Users Posts: 96
    I figured someone would say henna, and for some reason henna intimidates me! I'm looking for a brunette color and was hoping there was some good dye to buy at a health food store.

I just feel if I am going to go natural with my products, it would defeat the purpose to color my hair with something that is not natural.
    Shampoo once-twice a week with: Avalon Organics Lemon Poo or Organic Soap Bars
    Condish: AOWC, AOHR, and Nature's Gate Aloe mixed with honey
    Product: LA Looks Gel (yellow)...looking for something natural, with no luck!
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I am all natural product wise but still use chemical color. I couldn't find a good natural one that didn't have PPD in it anyway. So it was either henna or my Demipermanent, so I'll stick with it since I have neither the time, money, or patience to deal with henna. I'd have to do henna and indigo anyway.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Registered Users Posts: 248 Curl Connoisseur
    I use natural products wherever possible, but I'm leery of henna because I want to avoid red and gold tones in my hair (I'm naturally a dark ash blonde/light ash brown).

So I've been using Clairol Natural Instincts (semipermanent chemical color). But I threw out the little bottle of cone-filled conditioner that came with the color and used my beloved AOHR instead.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)
  • orangeorange Registered Users Posts: 176
    shel312 wrote: »
    I figured someone would say henna, and for some reason henna intimidates me! I'm looking for a brunette color and was hoping there was some good dye to buy at a health food store.

I just feel if I am going to go natural with my products, it would defeat the purpose to color my hair with something that is not natural.

Hi, I don't know of a good dye, but they do have a brunette mixture. It's a mix of henna and indigo, so a little more complicated to mix; adding alma supposedly makes a cooler dark brown. My hair is almost black; when I called the company, they said that I wouldn't lighten my natural hair by using the mixture. The link is here. ( I ordered it for a few single greys, but haven't used it yet.)
  • JanabiJanabi Registered Users Posts: 20
    I've had good luck with the Clairol Complements Semi-Perm from Sally Beauty Supply. Definitely not natural, but it seems relatively mild. I use an after-conditioner called Renegal (also from Sally's) that is supposed to normalize pH. Using it has really saved my scalp from irritation.

Ooops, I mean Regenal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file