Home colour over highlights

curlylauracurlylaura Curl NeophytePosts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have had a professional semi-permanent colour used on my highlights before with no problem other than it washes out within a month. Now I can't afford to get my colour done professionally and really want to cover the bleached out mess that are my highlights.

Would a home colour turn my hair funny colours or would it be OK? I know I need to do a strand test I'm just scared of it going green (that happened when I put home brown dye over Sun-In bleach). Should I save up to get it done professionally?
Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.

Comments

• KurlyKaeKurlyKae Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlylaura,
    i did this several years ago with pretty good results. First, I decided which brand I wanted to use, then called their helpline. The rep gave me a combination of colors to use, maybe half and half of two colors, so that my hair didn't turn green. Yes, she actually said that! I don't remember the exact colors (or the brand for that matter, sorry) but it did come out a bit on the red side. More red than I prefer, but much better than green. I called again the next month and was advised what combo to use to go more brown.
    HTH!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • curlylauracurlylaura Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,352Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good idea! Thanks! I'll call the helpline.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • JillH410JillH410 Curl Neophyte Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you have actual blonde highlights that utilized bleach then you shouldn't have a problem with your hair turning green. Sun-In is something totally different.

With my own hair, I know that if I use an ash brown over the top of highlights then the color is going to be more greyish looking. If I use a golden brown then the highlighted pieces will have more of a red hue to them. I typically go with a neutral brown so that I don't have that ashen look or the red look, it's more of just a regular brown color, which is what I'm looking for. I hope that helps! :-)
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Curl Neophyte Posts: 628Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just be sure to apply it to your roots first, and leave it on there for most of the time. Bleached ends will "grab" more color and you don't want hair that looks darker on the ends.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file