kathymack (and others)...quest. about going natural

shel312shel312 Registered Users Posts: 96
kathymack- I know that you said you are trying to go more natural with your hair. I am thinking of going that route also and was looking for suggestions. I am currently using AOWC condish, TJ Refresh poo, Bioterra curl cream, and LA Looks gel. I'm pretty happy with my curretn results, but just want better things for my hair (and the environment). Any suggestions?
Shampoo once-twice a week with: Avalon Organics Lemon Poo or Organic Soap Bars
Condish: AOWC, AOHR, and Nature's Gate Aloe mixed with honey
Product: LA Looks Gel (yellow)...looking for something natural, with no luck!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    My signature pretty much says what I'm doing. I was no poo for over six months. I started using the KBB products first week of August--nectar, milk, cream and butter. I added soap/shampoo bars 9/1--now I'm only using organic ones that I buy. I won't use ones that contain shea butter, castor or avocado oils. I use a leave in (right now KBB nectar or Giovanni Direct) and curl creme ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], WSP or Innersense) and that's it for stylers. I don't need gel anymore. My curls are tighter, I have lots of volume and the frizz is way down. I haven't needed to do DTs, because I'm using the KBB products. I haven't done a cassia or protein treatment in over two months--hair doesn't seem to need them. I've done two clay masks and will continue to do them every few weeks.

I just bought the Flower Moon Dairy Whip. It's a little stronger than the soap bars. My curls are good, but the volume isn't as good. Both the DW and soap bars are much milder than a low poo, but a little more than a no poo.

My folki somewhat shows the progression.

Is this what you wanted to know?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shel312shel312 Registered Users Posts: 96
    Thanks! Have you ever used Aubrey Organics?
    Shampoo once-twice a week with: Avalon Organics Lemon Poo or Organic Soap Bars
    Condish: AOWC, AOHR, and Nature's Gate Aloe mixed with honey
    Product: LA Looks Gel (yellow)...looking for something natural, with no luck!
    I have used several of the AO conditioners. They are too heavy for my hair everyday in winter--once or twice a week--and not at all in summer. I had the leave in, which I felt did nothing. And I got the MM gel, but haven't needed gel of late. I have other products I prefer.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    My routine is very similar to kathymacks. I don't regret going natural at all; yesterday my hair stayed ALL DAY LONG with just [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] as a styler and that's a miracle for me! No crunch and it was soft and it also enhanced my wave. I use the organic soap bars I get from Kathy or the dairy whip for cleansing, the KBB milk for a rinse out conditioner, or very occasionally my AOHR. I use the KBB nectar for a leave in. Both of those are unscented because I have issues with scents. Then I'll use my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink], or my butter or cream from KBB, and I plan on adding in the WSP when I get my order in. That's pretty much it. Oh, and ACV spray in the shower and I make sure to use organic, raw ACV with the mother.

Btw, I've use AO shampoos, and they were harsher on my hair than sulfates. I hated them, and I've tried quite a few of them.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    OK....I can't stand it anymore. What are these organic soap bars kathymack keeps referring too? And...are you all leaving the organic ACV in after spraying or rinsing it out?

Inquiring minds and all that :)

M
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • orangeorange Registered Users Posts: 176
    I use AOHR every day, it is so moisturizing (just not on the roots, since it weighs down the hair). Those flower moon soaps look delightful, but my CV chocolate almond is going to last until :santa: ...
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    memes wrote: »
    OK....I can't stand it anymore. What are these organic soap bars kathymack keeps referring too? And...are you all leaving the organic ACV in after spraying or rinsing it out?

Inquiring minds and all that :)

M

I leave it in topped with KBB milk, but then after I finish the rest of my shower I rinse it all out. kathymack sells the organic soaps. They're great!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Connoisseur
    I'd like to know what the brand of the organic bars is as well...or do you make 'em yourself, KM???
    I'd like to know what the brand of the organic bars is as well...or do you make 'em yourself, KM???

I get them from a family owned company. In order to get them at a reasonable price, I applied and was approved to be a "wholesaler." That way, I buy them in bulk at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, they are $5 a piece plus shipping.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    kathymack,

Do we just PM you to get information on buying from you?

Michelle
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    kathymack wrote: »

I get them from a family owned company. In order to get them at a reasonable price, I applied and was approved to be a "wholesaler." That way, I buy them in bulk at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, they are $5 a piece plus shipping.

Do you have a website where we can see these or do you sell them through etsy?

Also where can you buy Dairy Whip?
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    eche428 wrote: »
    kathymack wrote: »

Do you have a website where we can see these or do you sell them through etsy?

Also where can you buy Dairy Whip?

Dairy Whip is through Flower Moon Soaps--thank Curly Girl Florida for discovering that one: http://www.flowermoonsoaps.com/store/index.asp?CatID=28&image.x=23&image.y=15

You can pm me for the list of soaps and their ingredients. I have a bunch and according to Fed Ex will be receiving more tomorrow.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Connoisseur
    Great, thank you!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file