CurlTalk

Natural Hair Oil/Moisturizer

SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
I'm a mixed Black female; I've decided to go all natural, and I'm only in my second month of transitioning. My hair is very short (it used to be in the Rihanna pixie cut about a month or so ago) and it's dry and damaged (from what, I'm not sure).

I really need help finding an all natural (meaning no mineral oil, petroleum, etc.) oil/moisturizer that I can put in my hair daily or every few days or so. I already use Dove Daily Moisture Therapy Replenishing Mist everyday, but it's not an oil.

Do you have any recommendations? I live in Baltimore, Maryland and I can't order anything online, so please don't give me anything that you have to order from a website to get. I would also like for it to be of a reasonable price, since I'll be buying this myself, but I'm seventeen so my expenses are limited.

Comments

• orangeorange Posts: 176Registered Users
    Wish I could be of more help... I think that with dry hair, oil will just coat it, but a cream will absorb into the hair and moisturize. The inexpensive natural oils might work on your hair: coconut oil, apricot kernel oil, olive oil, and a lot of the other oils people mention here are pretty inexpensive and available at health food stores or supermarkets. I'm not sure about inexpensive, all-natural moisturizers though.

• EssenceEssence Posts: 300Registered Users
    I've read that oil is not used to moisturize, it seals in moisture so you could try using some condish as a leave in followed with an oil. Try your local GNC as they sell some natural shampoos and conditioners. Whole foods also carry various lines of natural products. You can also try making a spritz with some water, condish and oils.
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    I like coconut oil. Definately seems to have had a good moisturizing effect on my hair. It does seem to sink in too rather than just coat it. I use it as a treatment on dry hair, overnight. It should be fairly cheap to buy and you find it in health food shops, grocery stores. It is the oil you cook with!
  • LilluLillu Posts: 182Registered Users
    Hi SummerRuby, congratulations on your transition!

Oils that i can highly recommend are coconut oil as Feralcurls has mentioned, and extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) if your hair like heavier things. Also shea butter is amazing! It can be difficult to find in its pure form, but there are lots of natural hair products that contain it. I also want to try avocado oil (availabe in supermarkets) as ive heard good things about it here at nc.com. HTH!!! xxxx
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    My hair is not damaged, but it is very dry. The best oil I have ever tried for my hair is Karen's Body Beautiful hair oil mix. It works better than anything I have ever used before.

Other good ones I have used are My Honey Child oil mix and plain peach kernel oil or hemp oil.
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • SisoftheMoonSisoftheMoon Posts: 33Registered Users
    What Essence and a couple of others said is right on target. Since your funds are limited, go to WalMart or DT and get a spray bottle and some distilled water. Then you want to get some virgin coconut oil or almond oil (which you can get from an Indian grocery store) or even virgin olive oil. You can get all three of these (spray bottle, distilled water, and extra virgin olive oil) from Walmart for under $10.00.

First mist your hair with the water (and don't worry if you can't get the distilled water. I just said to get it in case you have very hard water where you are). Then pour the coconut, almond or olive oil in your hand and run it through your hair. Give your scalp a nice massage too. :tongue8: I have very dry hair so I know the frustration. You may have to mist through out the day but there is no cheaper or better moisturizer than water and the oil will seal it in.

Also for the first or second night you may want to do this and sleep with a plastic shower cap. This will speed up the process.

HHD
    Last disastrous relaxer 5/2008.
    TWA...for now...
    Products I love:
    Mill Creek Botanicals products
    AOHR
    Henna
    ABBA products
    Oils (various)
    Goal: to regrow what I lost and have healthy, thick, and wondrous natural curls! :laughing6:

Still searching for my miracle moisturizer.
  • VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    [qu%ote=Feralcurls;745845]I like coconut oil. Definately seems to have had a good moisturizing effect on my hair. It does seem to sink in too rather than just coat it. I use it as a treatment on dry hair, overnight. It should be fairly cheap to buy and you find it in health food shops, grocery stores. It is the oil you cook with![/quote]

Yeah but make sure it's the 100% UNREFINED Coconut Oil..I had to learn that the hard way. I'm not sure WHY when we're given advice to use this..it's not really mentioned.
  • Curly_JammyCurly_Jammy Posts: 626Registered Users
    If your applying a product daily make sure it has no cones or the cones are really low on the list, they will coat and dry out your hair.

if your limited to whats in stores, try to water down a rise out conditioner:
    HHHE ( everywhere)
    yes to cucumber, tomatoes, carrots (walgreens)
    GVP Conditioning Blam (sally's)

Seal with oil, sunflower, safflower, soy, grapseed, coconut, there are cheap an in grocery stores.

Look into Honey & aloe vera juice/gel/ the plant gelly, to mix in your conditioners, leave-ins, and deep conditioners, because they really help boost moisture and are cheap.
    3c, fine, porous,MBL
    Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
    LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
    Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,782Registered Users
    I've tried some heavy creams or lotions that is used on the skin. It does work, especially if you use heat to deep condition.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
    This list is not exhaustive...:happy3:
    CoWash: various
    DT: various

Leave-in
    : CR L/I Collection, various
    Stylers:MC Leave-in, Gorilla Snot
    Spritz/Sealant:Nu-Gro spray w/moisturizer
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    Since you live in Baltimore, I would suggest you go to the Oyin Handmade store. They sell some great all natural hair and skin products. You can go to their website (www.oyinhandmade.com) and take a look at their products. They list their street address on their site if you're interested in checking out their store.
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    Best two oils for moisturizing hair are coconut oil and olive oil.
    Usually olive oil is found in every kitchen , so you might want to start with it. You might already have it at home , in that case it would cost you nothing. Coconut oil smells better though.
    Just use about one tablespoon , apply to wet hair. It does wonders in strengthening the hair and giving it shine.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I have some not so usual oil recs.

I use oil as a smoother more so than a moisturizer. I do like coconut oil as a moisturizer. I use straight argan oil and straight camellia oil though and my hair loves it.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrawingwithwordsDrawingwithwords Posts: 106Registered Users
    I just bought Shea Butter and Coconut oil but I guess I shouldn't get the ones that are in the store? In the little jars? I'm looking for something to moisturize my hair as well but from what I'm reading you don't want the stuff that has other things in it? I noticed they are greasy and sometimes coat my hair but are there any coconut/shea jars that are okay to use? And is there a way to "warm them" so they aren't as hard to apply to your hair?
    Me to stylist: "Please don't Doodle all over my head, I like my curls just the way they are, thank you." :afro:
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I just bought Shea Butter and Coconut oil but I guess I shouldn't get the ones that are in the store? In the little jars? I'm looking for something to moisturize my hair as well but from what I'm reading you don't want the stuff that has other things in it? I noticed they are greasy and sometimes coat my hair but are there any coconut/shea jars that are okay to use? And is there a way to "warm them" so they aren't as hard to apply to your hair?

if you just rub them in your hands, that's usually all you need. they melt at body temp.
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users

You can melt them in a microwave in about 20-30 seconds.

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • kathrinrichkathrinrich Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hi nice information is given here... many many thanks for sharing it.
    thanks for it.
  • SharonDSharonD Posts: 10Registered Users
    Try olive oil, or coconut oil;
    avocado butter is also known as a good moisturizer;
    try Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre - Shampoo Hair Treatment ;

Natural Hair Care: Avocado Butter For Dry Hair

Natural Hair Care: Coconut Oil For Hair !

Natural Hair Care: SILK SCARVES

:toothy5:
  • evelynnalfredevelynnalfred Posts: 324Registered Users
    Since you live in Baltimore, I would suggest you go to the Oyin Handmade store. They sell some great all natural hair and skin products. You can go to their website (www.oyinhandmade.com) and take a look at their products. They list their street address on their site if you're interested in checking out their store.

+3

Try their Hair Dew.
  • baberuthlessxbaberuthlessx Posts: 17Registered Users
    Coconut oil, Olive oil, and Avocado oil have been proven to penetrate the hair strand and essentially moisturize the hair. Coconut oil can penetrate all three levels of the hair strand, so I suggest this one, but use lightly. A little goes a LONG way. If you section your hair into 4-6 sections, I'd say about a finger tip of coconut oil per section. Too much and your hair will feel dry.

Also camellia oil is great for penetration as well but I'm not sure if you'll be able to find that in a store.

Shea butter is a sealant, not a moisturizer. It will lock moisture in.
    Medium and Coarse strands :-|

Dense, coily, curly hair with medium porosity.

Check out my youtube channel!
  • lyleneillyleneil Posts: 5Registered Users
    Always avoid moisturizers that contain mineral oil or any other petroleum based product in the first few ingredients. Mineral oil does nothing but coat the hair leaving it shiny but dry. Some of oils you can use to seal in moisture.
    1.coconut oil
    2.castor oil
    3.jojoba oil
    4.olive oil
  • OgillyOgilly Posts: 3Registered Users
    Well I think The best Natural hair oils are Coconut oil and Olive oil that have been really really good for our hair . I also use olive oil and coconut oil that give my hair great shine .
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    anything with Vitamin E in it, i dont know if you can get it where you live, but i use argan oil, but emu oil is really good as well, its doesnt just coat the hair either, the hair absorbs it, you can expect to see results after about one to two weeks :) good luck!

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • danielalvisdanielalvis Posts: 5Registered Users
    Moisturizing hair is as important as deep conditioning to any black person who wishes to have long hair. The natural fats and oils that are in avocados make them a phenomenal natural hair moisturizer.
  • JydalJydal Posts: 178Registered Users
    This strand has been very helpful. Thank you everyone!!!!!!
  • adst2nvadst2nv Posts: 215Registered Users

+3

Try their Hair Dew.

Co sign on the above posts. Especially about trying Hair Dew. That stuff is awesomeness in a bottle.
    4b mostly, with some 4a

BC'ed: Sept. 2009
    Loving my hair as God intended it to be!! :love7:
  • CurlyCoilyMeCurlyCoilyMe Posts: 130Registered Users
    Coconut oil, jojoba oil(love it for shine), olive oil, avocado oil and almond oils are good oils, and what i love about it is that you can almost find them everywhere. :)
  • pbull574pbull574 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Shea moisture the pink label is great it may help.
  • capricapri Posts: 56Registered Users
    I agree with others coconut oil and Shea have been wonderful to me but I would also suggest using something that is a humectant like honey or aloe vera as your base... it will help you hair soak in the oils. Kind of like when you get out of the shower and your body is all pruned up from the moisture and it soaks in the lotion better... that's what those humectants do for your hair so give that a try.
    Style: Twists as protective style for winter, occassional bantu twist outs.
    Weekly: Preepoo w/ rosemary water, honey, coco oil and castor oil. Wash w/ KBB conditioning poo, condition with KBB moisturizing conditioner. Twist with KBB Sweet Ambrosia, Shea and dab of castor oil.
    Monthly:KBB Luscious Locks DT. Terressentials detox left hair significantly softer and shinier, now use to wash once every 2 months.
  • msmaybellmsmaybell Posts: 24Registered Users
    Pink line from Shea Moisture is wonderful. The curl and shine milk and curl enhancing smoothie is great.
  • tequila500tequila500 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I've been doing extensive research on sealing moisture in my hair. You have to start with liquid, then oil and then cream for additional sealing. Liquid meaning water or a liquid based conditioner. Then, use your oil (0live, coconut or jojoba). Last, use your cream. (shea, organics olive oil). I have been doing this method for 2 weeks and I already see tremendous results. Hope this helps!!