polenta

sundaysunday Registered Users Posts: 535
I really like polenta as a quick meal, but I always have it with cheese and sauce. I'm looking for some new ideas - vegetarian please. TIA
3 something
fotki pw: sunday

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl New BrunswickRegistered Users Posts: 4,049
    I only do this at Christmas and it's pretty "appetizer-y". I make my polenta (with parmesan) then spread it out on a baking sheet to cool off. Once it's completely cool, I cut it into fingers. I fry the fingers in some oil (not a deep fryer - just shallow frying) and serve with homemade marinara.

Think it was a Barefoot Contessa or Giada DeLaurentis recipe but don't remember for sure.

I can see spreading it on two baking sheets to make it thinner, then cutting bigger strips and making napoleons or mini lasagnas out of it this way if you wanted a main course.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    I usually keep a jar of sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers in my pantry in my pantry. A quick "sauce" is putting both of those in the magic bullet w/ some parsley or other fresh herbs. Sometimes I add some pine nuts to the mix. If I need to thin out the sauce, I'll add some olive oil.

Another option is sauteed mushrooms in a brown gravy. If you google Jager schnitzel, there's usually a recipe for mushroom gravy in there.
    hello.world.
  • goldygoldy Registered Users Posts: 5,463 Curl Connoisseur
    sunday, I have a cookbook titled "The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook" by Jack Bishop and there's a whole chapter with vegetarian polenta recipes. I highly recommend this cookbook.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • MunchyMunchy Registered Users Posts: 5,206 Curl Novice
    I like to saute onions, mushrooms, peppers to make a ragout of sorts. I just put it over the top of pan fried polenta - awesome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file