We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

I Love Oprah But I'm Sick of Her Lace Front Wig!

cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
Hey, I'm here to say that I love Oprah (I tape and watch her show everyday) but I'm sick of her lace front wig, or weave, or whatever it is. The last time I remembered, Oprah had beautiful, thick hair, probably 4a/4b.

Maybe she should join NC and release the the wig to free her hair and show the world that curly/kinky hair is beautiful.

PS: I don't want to hear how busy she is because she can afford to have her hair styled everyday!
What do you think?:coffee:
Live For Today!

Comments

• ZARIA**ZARIA** Posts: 706Registered Users
    51tHH1gygxL._SL500_AA280_.jpgI know thats not Oprah..But they had this wig listed as the "Oprah wig".........Horrible
    confused-8.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hispanic/Black 3A-B
    Mixed hair: Curls, waves and spirals.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2F7788%2Fhair-growth-ultra-n%2F" class="Popup
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    cysyca wrote: »
    Hey, I'm here to say that I love Oprah (I tape and watch her show everyday) but I'm sick of her lace front wig, or weave, or whatever it is. The last time I remembered, Oprah has beautiful, thick hair, probably 4a/4b.

Maybe she should join NC and release the the wig to free her hair and show the world that curly/kinky hair is beautiful.

PS: I don't want to hear how busy she is because she can afford to have her hair styled everyday!

Which hairstyle of hers are you referring to? Everytime I see the show her hair is curly. Beautiful curls but I am sure they are man made.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Hey, I'm here to say that I love Oprah (I tape and watch her show everyday) but I'm sick of her lace front wig, or weave, or whatever it is. The last time I remembered, Oprah has beautiful, thick hair, probably 4a/4b.

Which hairstyle of hers are you referring to? Everytime I see the show her hair is curly. Beautiful curls but I am sure they are man made.

Yes, the curly hair that she's been wearing for at least a year now and it looks like a lace front wig. It's nice but can't she at least give it a rest? Doesn't she have a hair stylist (Andre)? What gives?
    Live For Today!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's a weave, and I hate it too. I loved her thick hair when Andrew Walker was styling it. Even straight.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • jenbuggy85jenbuggy85 Posts: 232Registered Users
    WAIT!! i thought it was her real hair! dangit... i think its pretty. to bad its not real!:hmph:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Biotera Styling gel (firm hold)
    Biotera Curl creme
    Sauve Naturals coconut conditioner as Co-wash and leave in.

After all this I get about 3 or 4 days of good "wearable" hair.

PROUD MOMMY AND ARMY WIFE!:toothy7:
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I thought it was her real hair too.
    jenbuggy85 wrote: »
    WAIT!! i thought it was her real hair! dangit... i think its pretty. to bad its not real!:hmph:

No, it's not real and it's nice but lately it's been (weave, or wig) looking bad!
    Ryanne wrote: »

Not real, but someone please prove me wrong!
    Live For Today!
  • michikobmichikob Posts: 118Registered Users
    i love her hair curly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^That was when I didn't have a relaxer for about a year and some months.
    current relaxer
    Natural: 4b
    =D
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    what do you think it would take for her to "go natural"? i would love it. there would be such a following if she did..ah well, we can dream.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i love oprahs wig! if i had that same wig, id rock it everyday too.

oh and i think pigs will fly before oprah shows the world her natural texture.
  • pinkykinkypinkykinky Posts: 48Registered Users
    I'm a little over the lace front too...It's time to switch it up O
    4a FINALLY seeing about 3.5 inches of growth.

Currently using..Lustrasilk Shea butter and Cholesterol, Garnier Fructis soft curl cream, Doo Gro Mega Thickening hair oil

Last relaxer Easter 08!:blob7:
    Is this the style you are talking about? What am I missing - I don't see any lace sticking out.

oprah_vmed_12p_widec.jpg
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • shycurlshycurl Posts: 197Registered Users

No, it's not real and it's nice but lately it's been (weave, or wig) looking bad!

You're right. As far as I can tell, this not her natural hair. I recently saw a biography show about her and they had footage of Oprah anchoring a television show when she was younger. She had type 4 curls in an afro. It looked great. I loved seeing her like that!

During that period, they insisted she relax her hair and they felt her features were too wide apart and asked if she would consider plastic surgery! (Now that's beyond insulting!) I think she went on to AM Chicago, a morning show after that, in which she wore TWA. It was really cute. It seems like she stopped wearing her hair natural when she started the Oprah show.

I respect her hair choices much more now. I think in her industry it's even more unforgiving of natural hair. Even worse than the knuckleheads we put up with in corporate jobs.

I'm glad to see younger anchors and commentators like Amy Holmes are starting to wear their hair natural. That's off topic though, sorry.

I found a video of AM Chicago. Shows Oprah's TWA:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXAsEi-qrLiE" class="Popup

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,754Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    As I always say, people should wear their hair in whatever way makes them happy.

BUT one of the reasons the entertainment industry continues to be unaccepting of natural hair is BECAUSE celebrities/news anchors/models continue to give in and straighten or texturize their hair or wear wigs and weaves.

Someone like Oprah could do a real service by proudly showing her natural hair once in awhile.
    And she could further promote the cause by doing makeovers where they DON'T straighten everyone's hair!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Is this the style you are talking about? What am I missing - I don't see any lace sticking out.

oprah_vmed_12p_widec.jpg

thats the point of a lace front wig, they look flawless. if you could see the lace netting, then its either applied wrong or a cheap knock off.

kirsetn dunst wore them in all of the spiderman wigs.
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users
    I had no idea that wasn't her real hair! I love the style though.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    I don't know very much about them. How can you tell it's a wig, if it's high quality and there's nothing sticking out?
  • knotty_loveknotty_love Posts: 170Registered Users
    I love Opera's hair!! it's so glamorous...real or fake.
    Sometimes I think the craziness just curls out of my head..:geek:

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery; none but ourselves can free our minds."-Bob Marley

“There are only two types of women - goddesses and doormats”- Pablo Picasso

subbrock wrote: »
    i love oprahs wig! if i had that same wig, id rock it everyday too.
    oh and i think pigs will fly before oprah shows the world her natural texture.
    No you won't because your natural curls look better. LOL. And I agree (pigs will fly before Oprah show her natural texture), but you never know, anything is possible. Maybe Oprah or her girlfriend Gail will find out about this forum and if so, Oprah I still love U:notworthy:
    pinkykinky wrote: »
    I'm a little over the lace front too...It's time to switch it up O

So I'm I and I heard that they have to shave your edges in order to glue the lace front on. Is this true? Also, someone told me that lacefront wigs were invented for women who have lost their hair during chemo and if that's the case, then I'll support it for this reason.
    Live For Today!
    shycurl wrote: »

You're right. As far as I can tell, this not her natural hair. I recently saw a biography show about her and they had footage of Oprah anchoring a television show when she was younger. She had type 4 curls in an afro. It looked great. I loved seeing her like that!

During that period, they insisted she relax her hair and they felt her features were too wide apart and asked if she would consider plastic surgery! (Now that's beyond insulting!) I think she went on to AM Chicago, a morning show after that, in which she wore TWA. It was really cute. It seems like she stopped wearing her hair natural when she started the Oprah show.

I respect her hair choices much more now. I think in her industry it's even more unforgiving of natural hair. Even worse than the knuckleheads we put up with in corporate jobs.

I'm glad to see younger anchors and commentators like Amy Holmes are starting to wear their hair natural. That's off topic though, sorry.

I found a video of AM Chicago. Shows Oprah's TWA:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXAsEi-qrLiE" class="Popup

Shycurl,

OMG, the youtube is great, thank you.

You made some excellent points. The first point, the TV industry and corporate jobs are unforgiving of natural hair. Yes, that's correct and sad that TODAY society still has a negative image of curly/kinky hair, it's so unruly and it must be controlled. If I had to do a presentation or go on an interview, I'll probably wear my hair pulled back in a tight bun to avoid any comments. The second point, younger anchors and commentators like Amy Holmes are...wearing their hair natural. Now that's great and I have to goggle Amy Holmes. We definitely need more naturally curly/kinky role models on TV especially for younger girls who often tune in to see straight hair, weaved hair, relaxed hair, etc. I could go on but I'll stop for now and thank you again for your insight.
    Live For Today!
    Shycurl,

I don't have to Google, just saw the pics you posted of Amy Holmes and I love her hair too. :)
    Live For Today!
    Koukla72 wrote: »
    I don't know very much about them. How can you tell it's a wig, if it's high quality and there's nothing sticking out?

by the way it moves, the texture, and her hairline/where the lace is glued to her head.

high quality ones look real. essentially, they look too good. plus the vast majority of black women in the entertainment industry do not wear their real hair out. even the ones who wear what looks like theyre natural texture are usually wearing some sort of hairpiece.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,134Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree w/ JeepCurly. Oprah can wear her hair however she wants. However, I don't think Oprah is ashamed of her kinky 4b hair. She has never denied her real hair texture. In fact, she actually did a show where she showed how she looked before hair and makeup.

I actually like her lace front wig styles. I do think it looks great on her. This is not to pick on the OP, but why is it a big deal that she wears a wig? Most celebs -- no matter their natural hair texture -- wear wigs/weaves at some point and most of them color their hair. Some even perm or relax.

I also think that most women with Oprah's type of hair would not be able to wear it natural unless they had a lot of power in the entertainment industry. It's an unappreciated hair type. Even though some people with medium curly (3 type) hair face some resistance, it seems like those with wavy or kinky hair face the most resistance.

ETA: I realized that it's a big deal for those who are always told their hair is not good enough or desirable. However, I just don't think it's Oprah's feelings. :-)
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,754Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Oprah DOES have the power to wear her hair anyway she wants. Which is why it would be great to see her with her natural hair once in awhile, in addition to her wigs and such (which I happen to like also). If more people in the industry were seen with their natural hair, maybe the whole "you have bad hair, your hair isn't good enough, you need to straighten that hair if you want to work here" statements would be a thing of the past.

I don't mean people like Oprah shouldn't wear their hair (or clothes or anythings else) however they want. They certainly should. But I think most people in that industry and others are TOLD how to wear their hair, it's not their choice.
    People with Oprah's power could help change that.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Oprah DOES have the power to wear her hair anyway she wants. Which is why it would be great to see her with her natural hair once in awhile, in addition to her wigs and such (which I happen to like also). If more people in the industry were seen with their natural hair, maybe the whole "you have bad hair, your hair isn't good enough, you need to straighten that hair if you want to work here" statements would be a thing of the past.

I don't mean people like Oprah shouldn't wear their hair (or clothes or anythings else) however they want. They certainly should. But I think most people in that industry and others are TOLD how to wear their hair, it's not their choice.
    People with Oprah's power could help change that.

That's the point I was making, not to say that Oprah shouldn't wear her lace-front wig, just to say that I'm sick of it and what's wrong with her revealing her natural hair?

And, yes, people like Oprah can change that. :thumright:
    Live For Today!
    Exactly, and you said it using alot fewer words than I did. : )
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    Koukla72 wrote: »

by the way it moves, the texture, and her hairline/where the lace is glued to her head.

high quality ones look real. essentially, they look too good. plus the vast majority of black women in the entertainment industry do not wear their real hair out. even the ones who wear what looks like theyre natural texture are usually wearing some sort of hairpiece.

Thanks! I knew they were used, but I didn't know they were so prevalent. And I had no idea they were actually glued in!! :o
  • jennycurljennycurl Posts: 35Registered Users
    does anyone remember , when she was i'm not sure if it was doing the color purple or supporting the broadway show. but she was on her show with what i thought was her natural hair it was maybe braided not sure it's hazy to me , cause it was awhile ago, hey maybe i'm crazy ! but i remember seeing it and her talking about itand she wore it like that for awhile ,and it got longer and now it's like it is full and curly, and somehow she must of snuck that lace front wig into the mix!
    :blob6::blob6:cg
    conditioner only 3a/:wav::wave: 3b chin length curls .
    cut it myself
    color myself
    lots of homemade deep treatments
    love tresseme naturals conditioner!
    Yesterday I caught a glimpse of her and her hair was stick straight - I do not recall her ever wearing it like that before or if she did I missed it.
    Central Massachusetts

• MinayaMinaya Posts: 4Registered Users

Yes, the curly hair that she's been wearing for at least a year now and it looks like a lace front wig. It's nice but can't she at least give it a rest? Doesn't she have a hair stylist (Andre)? What gives?

I had no idea oprah wore weave now:(
    I thought it was always her hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file