CurlTalk

Does anyone use a satin pillowcase?

embracing the curlyembracing the curly Posts: 20Registered Users
I hear they reduce frizz. I've been thinking about getting one and wanted to get some thoughts from people who use one.

Also, is there any type or quality of fabric I should look for.

Comments

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I always use one on my pillow. I use it so that I don't rough up my hair when I sleep. I am growing my hair out and the slipperiness is kinder than my cotton pillowcases. So, in that respect, I guess it does prevent some frizz.

I just bought a set of 2 that were billed as "premium". They tend to absorb the oils from my hair and face so having 2 allows me to change them frequently.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I made it one night on my satin pillow case from Sally's. HATED IT! I felt sweaty all night! I'm going to turn it into a scarf and try that to sleep in. If that doesn't work then I'm going to buy a Buff http://www.buffwear.com/ and line it with satin to sleep in.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • curlygurneycurlygurney Posts: 116Registered Users
    I use a satin pillow case, it does seem to help. I got a two pack at Target for $14.99 I believe.
    Hair Type: 3b with a little 3a mixed in
    Stylist: Annah at Phia Salon in Columbus, OH
    Shampoo: I rarely use but when I do it is Abba True Shine
    Conditioner: ABBA Creme Masque
    Leave in: A dime size of ABBA Creme Masque
    Style product fall/winter: Two squirts of Jesse Curl Confidient Coils and one two finger scoop of pink boots
    Style product spring/summer: KCCC and CK
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlygurney%2F" class="Popup
    password: easy123
  • embracing the curlyembracing the curly Posts: 20Registered Users
    Thanks, everyone. I think I'll try it. Someone else told me it cuts down on the nighttime tangles. Definitely something I need.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users
    I started off with a satin pillowcase and then switched to silk. I found the satin made me sweat. I love the silk pillowcase; it has made a huge difference in my hair - and is also really good for your skin.

I also switched my daughter's pillow cases to silk - huge difference in the morning. My daughter has wavy, waist length hair. Even when I pulled it up into a pineapple for sleeping, it looked like a rat's nest in the morning. Since we switched to silk, morning hair is awesome.

Dreamsacks make some that aren't too expensive. They are more durable than I thought. I machine wash mine in cold water on delicate and then put it in the dryer (extra low temp). I've had mine for over a year now and they look as good as the day I got them.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • tulipantulipan Posts: 209Registered Users
    It's good to know. I don't like my cotton pillowcase. It's time to find something diffrent.
    3A/M/iii
    -
    full CG routine works for my hair!

s-event.png

Sorry for my mistakes in english! This is not my main language. I'm still learning!
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    eche428 wrote: »
    I made it one night on my satin pillow case from Sally's. HATED IT! I felt sweaty all night! I'm going to turn it into a scarf and try that to sleep in. If that doesn't work then I'm going to buy a Buff /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buffwear.com%2F" class="Popup and line it with satin to sleep in.

I am so buying one of those for impromptu summer/winter travels!

I like Original Buff Cashmere Kaky the best, then Kash Pink Chocolate. Or better yet, High UV Pro Buff in Edu Cru. :thumbup:
  • aoedecmjaoedecmj Posts: 85Registered Users
    I sleep on one myself . . . not sure if it helps with frizz (I'm still working on that issue), but it does cut back on tangles.

I got a set of two at TJ Maxx for 5.99. Gotta love the discount stores!
    CG since 10/5/08
    Faux Red-head since 1997 - recent henna head
    3a/2b
    CoWash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Conditioners: L'Oreal Vivre Pro Nutrigloss
    Winter Stylers: KCKT, KCCC, FOTE, BRHG, Boots
    Summer products I'm missing: CK, re:Coil, Tweek
    Techniques: single plop, pixiecurl diffuse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Faoedecmj%2F" class="Popup
  • hey youhey you Posts: 3Registered Users
    I used to use a satin pillowcase. It never made my hair look any different in the morning. I was mad. :disgust:
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I use one, but I'm not sure if it really helps.
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    I've seen people are saying satin vs. silk. I'd like to help clarify. Satin is a type of FABRIC and Silk is a type of FIBER. Satin can be made of anything from cotton to polyester to silk. Likewise, silk can be made into anything from broadcloth to taffeta to charmeuse to..dundadun..SATIN!

What the majority of satin pillowcases are made of is polyester. That's why it makes you sweat. You're essentially sleeping on plastic.

If you want the full benefits of a satin pillowcase, get one that says 100% Silk. HTH :)
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• sunnydays13sunnydays13 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I agree silk is beautiful. You had some great information on silk. I think satin is just as good IF you buy the better quality. I don't think that a $5.99 set from Target is going to do anything. I've always felt that you get what you pay for. I purchased two sets last year from www.atouchofsatin.com They were relatively expensive but they are beautiful and they've held up to constant washings and my hair and skin haven't looked or felt this good in fifteen years. My hair isn't all dried out and I don't have split-ends like I use to. I also don't wake up with those pillow creases anymore. They also had a selection unlike anything I've seen anywhere else. There was some great info on their website about the benefits of satin. You might want to take a look for yourself.

Great topic!
  • angela3213angela3213 Posts: 74Registered Users
    I used to use one. I lost it. How do you lose a pillowcase? I have no idea.
    About once a week - Condition with Curls Milkshake. Comb in Kinky Curly Leave In Conditioner & Kinky Curly Curling Custard after squeezing most of the water out of my hair. Use table top dryer for 10 minutes. Use diffuser for 10 minutes.
    Daily - Lightly wet hair. Comb in a little Kinky Curly Curling Custard if needed. Use table top dryer for a few minutes or let air dry.
    Shampoo - Only before straightening.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    everyone in our household sleeps on one and it really reduces frizz, tangles, and dryness.
    our hair types are 3c, 2a/b, and 3a/b.
  • marilynalicemarilynalice Posts: 18Registered Users
    I ordered silk pillowcases from this company over 2 years ago: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dharmatrading.com%2Fhtml%2Feng%2F1384272-AA.shtml%3Flnav%3Dclothing.html" class="Popup

I ordered a pair, and they have been machine washed/dried numerous times and are still holding up very well and have made a difference to my hair. Around $10 p/pillowcase.
  • PhireflyPhirefly Posts: 72Registered Users
    I actually bought the set at Target for $14.99, and I really like it. No, it's not the higher quality and it's 100% polyester, but I haven't had a problem with sweating or being uncomfortable with them. I get really nice slip with them, too, which is important because I'm usually a tosser :)
    Getting back into CG after several years of chemically straightening and pixie cuts
  • melaniesusanmelaniesusan Posts: 948Registered Users
    I use a regular pillowcase, but when I sleep on my hair wet, I put my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]curl-ease towel[/buylink] on top of my pillowcase and just sleep on that. I wake up in the morning with great hair. :love5:

I've also tried sleeping with a silk nightgown on top of my pillow and have similar results.
    hair type: 2B/3A
    low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
    condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab
    winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
    summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CIAB + Curl Queen
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers.fotki.com%2Fmelaniesusan%2F" class="Popup pw = 3ahair