CurlTalk

Can Pinappling at night cause breakage?

joyajoya Posts: 199Registered Users
I read on another forum that putting hair up in a tail and sleeping on it can cause breakage:sad4:. I am talking about a loos scunchie on top of head, and using a sating pillowcase.

Tell me this isn't so:hmph:

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Never experienced any breakage personally and I pineapple every night.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I also pineapple nightly and have never experienced breakage. I use 2 satin scrunchies (my hair is very heavy) and it's very loose on the top of my head. At some point in the early wee hrs. I take it out, starts to bug me but it works well cuz it calms down the poof from the pineapple :)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I don't think it will cause breakage, not with a scrunchie.
  • joyajoya Posts: 199Registered Users
    Well-thanks for your thoughts. They make me happy:happy6:
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I've never experienced breakage, either, and I also pineapple every night. I think I get more breakage if I leave it down, what with rolling around on it, my DH laying on it and it getting pulled, etc., etc. As long as it's done loosely with a scrunchie, I don't think there's any problem. Plus, it's the only way I stand a chance of getting 2nd day hair!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I was told by a Deva stylist that I had breakage & bad splits at the underneath backside, the area that's exposed when the hair is up in a high ponytail. But then I was using 'cotton' scrunchies & a cotton pillowcase at one point & a satin pillowcase at another point.

I haven't had any problems since I switched to not doing a high ponytail at night & alternating between a satin pillowcase & a silk pillowcase.
    Lazy Loops-What kind of ponytail do you do then:confused4:
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    joya wrote: »
    Lazy Loops-What kind of ponytail do you do then:confused4:

I stopped doing a ponytail at all. Yeah, it made for real cute morning hair. BLEH

And since then I've got my hair cut short, so I'd only have a bit more than a brush-like ponytail if I made one. :lol:
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I quit sleeping in a ponytail or braid because of breakage. Not where the scrunchy was, but the sides! I guess having them pulled back and rubbing on the pillow at night caused it. I started noticing that if I had my hair in a ponytail during the day, I'd get all these shorty hairs on the sides, which came away from my head and frizzed real bad. By the time I realized what was causing it, I looked like Bozo the clown whenever I wore a ponytail or braid, and it was a windy or humid day. For that reason, I'm wary of doing a pineapple at night.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
    Curlyinohio-See, I think that might be happening to me, but not sure if it is just new baby hairs coming in:confused: I don't see any hairs on my pillow or broken hairs in my Scrunchie, but I am getting paranoid:toothy3:
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I know what you mean. I stopped sleeping in a ponytail, and once those hairs grew out, it never happened again. I put my hair up to take a shower at night, but I take it DOWN before going to bed. I don't want that happening again. It took too long to grow back out!
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    I'm not sure, but I sleep with a pineapple and a satin cap at night. This prevents my hair from tangling, and it might prevent the friction that you are experiencing. Also, if you are sleeping with a silk or satin pillow case, that should help your hair retain moisture and reduce the friction. So you should be fine.
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQuirkyYogini%2F" class="Popup