twa to long locks

LBGsk8trLBGsk8tr Registered Users Posts: 17
I'm wondering if anyone has gone from twa to long beautiful hair. I BC'ed after transitioning for about 4 months, and now my twa is growing out (and it's not pretty), so I'm hoping that I can get some inspiration (and pics) about hairstyles and cuts. Let me just say that I have a huge forehead (Tyra Banks has nothin' on me), and so far nothing looks good. Okay, enough of the complaining, I really do love my hair texture!

Comments

• Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    LOL I know how you feel. I cut my hair very short and I got to a period where it just was not cute. Im hoping that it will be able to go nice and long. But as it grows out it doesnt bother me as much. I was ready to go get some kind of hair cut to try to style it, but just decided to let it grow out for awhile before I do that. I have learned about using accessories, like headbands and barrettes.
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • hairhealthhairhealth Registered Users Posts: 90
    You can view my fotki. I am too cheap to pay premium, so I have like 3 :lol

Start with current and then you will see other links at bottom of page. Hairstory from 8/3/03- until now...

click on www under my post

ETA: I don't have a style or shape, I don't think. If I do, it is a true blessing from God that my hair 'grew' into a 'style' I can get away with until I decide what to do with it...

I am in a real weird way. I love my hair, love conditioning it, but it just looks 'there' I AM NOT COMPLAINING

ho hum :wink:
    growout from baldy since 10/11
    modified cg; cones & mild sulfate 'poo
    -cowash: fave 2: vo5 strawberry
    -rinseout:herbal essencesbodyenvy;color mehappy
    -leave in: infusium 23 repair/renew spray
    -dc: gvp conditioning balm

www.fotki.com/browncoily :toothy4:
  • LadyLibra1982LadyLibra1982 Registered Users Posts: 203
    i feel you. when i was relaxed and would get my hair cut in a shorter style... it's all gravy until it starts growing out! then you're like, "what the heck do i do with it now?" :?

i still have problems putting the scissors down instead of just being patient and letting my hair grow out... :lol:
    Lady Libra
    3c/4a???
    i stick with the description "OS thready thick"

my curly fro now is at collarbone when straightened.... basically the length i had when i started transitioning! hooray for growth!!! =)
  • j'adorej'adore Registered Users Posts: 1,966 Curl Neophyte
    I have. I did the TWA in '99 and grew it to past my shoulders by '01. And I'm talking thick and healthy, not see thru and brittle. :lol:

The best advice I can give you is this: keep your hands (and scissors) out of it by any means necessary. I did weaves, braids, drawstring ponytails--whatever it took. This way you don't have to look at it everyday. Just take care of it and let it grow. Every 3-4 months or so take the braids/weave out and straighten it just to see the length. The amazing growth will be motivation enough!

Back in '01 I was still getting texturizers and went back and forth with my hair for awhile. I stop getting relaxers completely in '03 and cut off the last bit of dead, relaxed hair about a year later.Right now my hair is still thick and pretty healthy. It's about 2 1/2-3 inches away from bra strap length (my next goal). It's almost one length all the way around.

I still rock the drawstring ponytails a lot--I wear my natural hair out on the weekends. I am having great results using olive oil as or with conditioner. I am trying to get over this hump and grow it REALLY long.

If you are dead set against weaves, etc, another option are beautiful headwraps or hats.
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • curlycovrgirlcurlycovrgirl Registered Users Posts: 153
    LBGsk8tr, I know how you feel. When I first did the BC my hair was 2 inches long and i loved it. But as it grew out, i was trapped in "in between" hell!!! I hated that awkward length and I looked a mess! Don't worry, I think its a phase everyone goes through when growing out their hair.

When i look back at pics of myself during that time i still cringe, I didn't know what the heck to do w/ my hair! Its been 2 years and I'm still working towards my goal of bra strap length.

Don't worrk, this "un-pretty" hair phase will pass!!!!
    3c/4a - Relaxer Free since Feburary 2004 and Obsessed with my hair.

I have pictures now! password: curlygirl
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Registered Users Posts: 821
    My TWA is growing out too. I got a severe trim in January because it looked like a mullet. Needless to say, my hair has grown back out, so I'm pretty much where I started a month ago. I have just been letting my hair do it's thing in the past month. I had started experimenting with headbands and scarves, but I don't really like the way it looks becuase I don't have enough length. At this length, I actually think my hair looks best when I fingerstyle it and go.

Hang in there LBGsk8tr. You'll be make a pony puff in no time:-)
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file