Big Hair Help!! I can't tame the beast :((( repeat thread

dia99dia99 Registered Users Posts: 1,998
Here are some pics of my hair right now. In these pics, I was going out with DaNa so I washed my hair in the shower, put some light gel on it with my fingers and then attempted a pineapple with a t-shirt (bent over, wrapped the t-shirt around my head, twisted the hair up in the t-shirt, secured the "cone"). I let it sit that way for about 2 hours before I took it off.

100_0181.jpg

I have BIG hair - it is thick AND I have lots of strands of hair. Even when I have a relaxer, my hair is volumous (is this a word??). No matter how long it gets, it stays big and goes even as it goes down.

What can I do to remedy this? Will I have to resort to getting it thinned? This is kind of annoying, because it's even hard to put into a ponytail when it's bra-strap length (if it's not relaxed).

I like my hair sometimes, but I am getting really frustrated with the bigness of it, and may end up getting a relaxer this summer if I can't figure something out. Last time I got sick of it after three years natural and got a relaxer again. Then, I cut it all off July '04 and started over with a "boy" cut. It's at the point of frustration right now!!!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, even if its just telling me some relevant threads to read. Thanks!!!!

ps - I am putting this in 4a and 4b, so as to hopefully get more advice!!

Sorry - I keep trying to change the size of the pics and it's not working here. So I'll just leave the one until I figure something out.
People rise to the standard expected of them. GC

Comments

• Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    Your hair looks great first off. My hair is thick also, I learned I have to actually section my hair when applying the product along with using my denman to brush through it. By doing this I get it a little more tamed. And by wrapping your hair up like that I think it promotes volume if I am correct, someone maybe can comment on that one.
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • dia99dia99 Registered Users Posts: 1,998
    Thanks for telling me that I'm actually contributing to the problem. :lol: I thought it would help make the hair straighten out, which would help make it lay flatter. I guess it makes sense that it would actually give it more volume since I'm holding it UP to get it straighter. Duh! :oops:

I LOVED when my hair was your length!! Your hair looks so healthy and beautiful! That was so easy to style!

I'll try the sectioning whenever I get some good products. Thanks for the tip!

Lydia
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Registered Users Posts: 255
    It looks good to me. Proportional to your face/head. I don't really think it is too big or big hair IMHO.

What is pineappling? Is this just drying with the hair wrapped the way others use towels?
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
    ohura wrote:
    It looks good to me. Proportional to your face/head. I don't really think it is too big or big hair IMHO.

What is pineappling? Is this just drying with the hair wrapped the way others use towels?

:lol: Yes, I do have a big head! :lol:

I think pineappling is turning your head upside down so that your hair hangs toward the floor, then wrapping the towel or shirt around your head and hair in order to stretch the hair out. After you twist the hair inside the material, you fold that material underneath itself at the nape of your neck.

If I jacked that up, hopefully someone will fix it. This thread didn't get any responses because people answered it in the 4a forum.
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Registered Users Posts: 255
    dia99 wrote:
    ohura wrote:

:lol: Yes, I do have a big head! :lol:

I think pineappling is turning your head upside down so that your hair hangs toward the floor, then wrapping the towel or shirt around your head and hair in order to stretch the hair out. After you twist the hair inside the material, you fold that material underneath itself at the nape of your neck.

If I jacked that up, hopefully someone will fix it. This thread didn't get any responses because people answered it in the 4a forum.
    I thought it was just wrapped to dry. I didn't realize that people thought that stretches.

Again, your hair looks good to me but we are our own worst critics.
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    ahhh... I wasnt aware of what pineappling was all about.

What that will end up doing is creating volume for your roots and having the hair dry vertically (ever so slighlty) at the roots. I can see how this can work for thinner looser curled hair. Looser curled hair naturally goes down while tighter curled hair will naturally grow up before growing down. You allready have vertical lift at the roots inherent in your hair type. Pineappling would just help it lift even more.
    ahhh... I wasnt aware of what pineappling was all about.

What that will end up doing is creating volume for your roots and having the hair dry vertically (ever so slighlty) at the roots. I can see how this can work for thinner looser curled hair. Looser curled hair naturally goes down while tighter curled hair will naturally grow up before growing down. You allready have vertical lift at the roots inherent in your hair type. Pineappling would just help it lift even more.

Yeah, I haven't used that technique to wear my hair down the past two times (of the three I've worn it down :D ). I actually used your suggestion of scarfing it down, and then I wrapped a tshirt around that to catch all the drippage. I like that best after it dries, but the scarf also made it much easier to get my ponytail. So, thanks!!!

I still have to experiment with the aloe vera and glycerine. Maybe Saturday or Sunday!

ohura, thanks again! I am definitely very critical of myself, but I don't mind a self-compliment every now and then, either. :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file