help with volume, and... should I cut??

lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
hey everyone! this is my first post, so hopefully you all can help!

I CO using herbal essences, then scrunching in suave gel, let dry almost all the way then diffuse, with a big ol dose of hairspray afterwards. I have an above-the-shoulder pixie cut, and my hair is VERY, very thin and fine. Not suprisingly, I'm having a hard time maintaining my volume... it looks good right after I diffuse but then it slowly falls flat. I have a bit of lift right at my roots, but then the curls just lay flat down the sides of my head. I've tried using thickening spray and hairspray, which perks it up for a while, but ultimately the extra product weighs my hair down even more, making looking good on day 2 impossible. Anyone have a good suggestion for how to keep my curls defined and clumped without adding extra weight? Products, plopping, clips, scarf at night???

Also, another question. I'm trying to grow my hair out-- I've had the same pixie cut for about 4 years now, and I'm ready to move on from "cute". However, I've cut my own hair for those four years... :shock: So I'm wondering if I should let my hair grow out and then get a shaping cut or should I get my hair "fixed" and then continue growing? I have had horrible experiences with salons, so I'm very skeptical that a cut will help ANYTHING, but I just thought I'd see what you gals had to say. TIA!
Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls

Comments

• betweenshadesbetweenshades Registered Users Posts: 130
    which conditioner are you using?
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Herbal Essences Citrus Lift for Fine Hair.

• icequeenicequeen Registered Users Posts: 590
    Abba Weightless Gel or Ojon Foam are both great for volume, curl enhancement and hold.
    3a Colored, Layered
    Currently loving:
    Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
    Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
    Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
    Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
    lauraloo wrote:
    Herbal Essences Citrus Lift for Fine Hair.

I looked up the ingredients and this one has Dimethicone, a silicone that doesn't wash out with water. This could be building up and causing excess weight to your hair.

I'd switch to a conditioner that doesn't have a 'cone in it, using a good gel/ styling aid and either plop your hair or pin the roots for volume.

The next thing is getting the buildup out of your hair. If it's not too bad, a lemon squeezed into some conditioner could help. Otherwise, you might need to find a low-sulfate 'poo to get it off.

hth

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm definitely willing to try a new conditioner, (that is, when I get paid next week... oh college :wink:) but there are so many to choose from! Do you have any suggestions? I've heard some of the gals talking about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Devacurl One Condition[/buylink], and I've also heard some about Curls Pure Essentials Moisturizer and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner[/buylink]. Any favorites?

Thanks again for your help! :D

• curlinicatorcurlinicator Registered Users Posts: 911
    The 3 you mentioned can be rather costly, but they're supposed to be good. The ones in my sig are good and a little cheaper. But there are a lot of people on here that love Suave and V05.

Basically, experiment. :)

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Welcome! You are pretty and have fun, cute curls.

My hair is medium-thick and I am thinking that the products that I like would be too heavy for you or weigh down your fine curls. Otherwise, I would give you lots of product suggestions.

One thing that might be good for you since it is relatively light but very moisturizing - [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Jessicurl Aloeba[/buylink]. I use it as a leave in, but you might like it as a rinse out conditioner. It is versatile, well made and moderately priced :)
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Oh yes, volume. I have plenty BUT my roots lay flat. If I stretch up my curls when I apply product (and lean my head over, in a half-hearted plop just on the top), I get better root lift. Clips work too.

And given that you have such fine hair with your hair texture, I think that plopping and scrunching would do the trick :wink:
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    I also wanted to tell you that if you're using the Suave hairspray check that it does contain that silicone, cyclopentasiloxane. It's been said on that board that it's a nasty and heavy cone that requires sulfates to be removed. On CG, this can really create mess up your hair.

Uh oh.... so I just looked at my hairspray, and it definitely has that in it. So how do I find a shampoo that has sulfates in it, but won't do too much damage to my hair? Suggestions, anyone?

TIA! (You guys have been so helpful!)

well, baby shampoo is low-sulfate.

Actually, there's a thread about Freeman Shampoo. They have a new line out that uses milder detergents.

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68910

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • morrighumorrighu Registered Users Posts: 707
    I tried the V05 and my hair did NOT like it. I had to have something that doesn't have sulfates in it at all.
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Registered Users Posts: 295
    If you are still following this thread, I would recommend clipping at the roots after you have your product in and before diffuse drying it. See if that helps with volume. also if you keep cutting your hair you will never know if what it will look like longer. I say let it grow for a while and if you don't like it then cut it, but careful for the in between stages when you are really tempted.

M
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file