Getting rid of bad smell in apt

wildfirewildfire Posts: 108Registered Users
i'm all about things smelling good and my apartment was sprayed last week for bugs and ever since then there has been a bad cauliflower-ish smell. I have a 1-bed, with living, bathroom & kitchen.

i have 3 scentports that plug in (from bath & body) and 2 airwick battery operated air fresheners, a spray can and candles and nothing seems to get that smell out. i've used carpet fresh and vacuumed it up. i do have central air and maybe i should shut it off and let some actual air in but anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks! :wink:
2b with some ringlets. Modified CG.
Poo: Mop-C, GV Tea Tree, CV poo bar
Cond: AOHR, GV 50:50, Deva Low-Poo
Prod: GV DLI, LOOB, FX Gel, Mop-C Curl Creme,

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i loathe the smell of cooked food (i know, im crazy) so i usually open the windows, turn on a fan to get air circulating, and light a febreeze candle. i also have a glad plug in and sprinkle carpet powder before i vacuum. all in matching scents. but the febreeze candle is usually the star of the show. it actually seems to get rid of any sort of odor and we have a fairly large apartment (2 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, kitchen, upstairs loft, vaulted ceilings).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yikes! I'm anti-poison, especially when it comes to air that I breathe. I wouldn't be happy smelling that poison for weeks. I have no suggestions, sorry. Move out for a while? Go visit relatives?
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I'd definitely open windows for a while to get those chemicals circulated out. Turn on fans and get fresh air moving in and inside air moving out. I suppose you could run the fan on your central air, to get more circulation going. I'd also try carpet powder/vaccuming and using Oust or Febreeze.

I don't think I'd use scented things like candles or air fresheners... you'll just be covering up the bad smells, not getting rid of them.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    wildfire wrote: »
    i'm all about things smelling good and my apartment was sprayed last week for bugs and ever since then there has been a bad cauliflower-ish smell. I have a 1-bed, with living, bathroom & kitchen.

i have 3 scentports that plug in (from bath & body) and 2 airwick battery operated air fresheners, a spray can and candles and nothing seems to get that smell out. i've used carpet fresh and vacuumed it up. i do have central air and maybe i should shut it off and let some actual air in but anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks! :wink:

not being preachy, but i don't think it's healthy to breathe in chemical-laden air fresheners, especially if you have a small, enclosed living space.

try this:

change your air filters.

open all your windows.

if you have a floor fan, put it in your window and turn it outward so that it is drawing the apartment air outside.

if you have wall to wall carpet, generously sprinkle plain baking soda all over and let it set all day before vacuuming it up.

if you have hard floors, place several open boxes of baking soda all over: in closets, the pantry, behind the sofa in the kitchen, in your bedroom.

if you have washable fabric curtains/drapes, take them down and wash them.

if you have washable throw rugs, launder them.

if you have throw rugs that aren't washable, take them outdoors to let them air out all day.

buy essential orange or essential lemongrass oil, add several drops to a pot of water and let it boil to disperse the aroma throughout your apartment. it's fragrant, but not synthetic.

i don't know if you are suggesting that the bug chemicals has rendered a cauliflower odor or if it's something that you've cooked.

in the future, try boric acid. sprinkle it behind your fridge, along base boards and cracks, under sinks, etc. it's safe around people and pets, doesn't stain, and is odorless. the bugs walk through it and carry it back to their nest and spread it to others where they all die. it's very effective.

i think that many commercial bug sprays are oil-based so that the poisons won't evaporate.

hope this helps.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • va_candiva_candi Posts: 849Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    i loathe the smell of cooked food (i know, im crazy) so i usually open the windows, turn on a fan to get air circulating, and light a febreeze candle. i also have a glad plug in and sprinkle carpet powder before i vacuum. all in matching scents. but the febreeze candle is usually the star of the show. it actually seems to get rid of any sort of odor and we have a fairly large apartment (2 bedroom, 2 bath, living room, kitchen, upstairs loft, vaulted ceilings).

I'll second that. One of these usually gets the job done for my living room and kitchen at the same time. I live in a one BR apartment as well.
  • wildfirewildfire Posts: 108Registered Users
    ok, i have the febreeze candle and i opened the sliders yesterday to get some air in. then i saw three cockroaches last night so i'm not opening the door anymore. i lined borax all along the walls to help with the bugs. unfortunately when i complain to the apt manager her response is to send the chemical spray guy. i didn't cook anything that would linger and cause the cauliflower smell (well meatballs last week but that was a good smell).

right now the smell is very faint. i think the candle is working. i got more carpet powder and i'm gonna let it set a while before vacuuming. but so far so good. :pl:
    2b with some ringlets. Modified CG.
    Poo: Mop-C, GV Tea Tree, CV poo bar
    Cond: AOHR, GV 50:50, Deva Low-Poo
    Prod: GV DLI, LOOB, FX Gel, Mop-C Curl Creme,
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
    I caught this thread late.. rainshower, in particular, had great tips. Another thing that really zaps bad odors is vinegar. I'm not sure what would work the best in combatting a bug spray-related problem since I've never dealt with that. When our house is sprayed once a month (I'm in FL, and it's necessary!), the smell rarely lingers more than a couple hours.

When using vinegar, I mix it with water (about 1 part vinegar, and 5 parts water usually) and either leave it out in a bowl, uncovered, or put it into a spray bottle that has a fine mist setting, spraying it around in the air in the affected room.

Glad to hear your problem is mostly under control, wildfire. :)
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    rainshower wrote: »
    change your air filters.

open all your windows.

This is really good advice. I find a lot of smells get stuck in your air filter and once changed, within 30 mins the place smells better. It's worked when we burned bacon and that's a really strong smell.
    <insert signature line here>
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    My mom puts a pot in the stove and boils cinnamon in water. It gets rid of anything and everything.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file