WHY is my hair turning against me??

lebanesecurlylebanesecurly Registered Users Posts: 161
I've had such great hair for so long. What gives!! All of a sudden, it's very rough and the crunch WON'T scrunch out without leaving me with stringy curls. But I haven't changed my routine! Does anyone know what it can be? I'm close to breaking out the straightening iron....
claiming a 2c/3aMiii
growing my hair out to BSL
& mod-CG as of 9/1/08 :blob5:
Low-poo: VitaminShampoo pomegranate+blackberry
'Poo to clarify: BTZ Noodlehead
Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
Stylers: LOOB! GVP Detangler, HESMU
Put away for winter: PMRT, TW, LVPNG

On the rare occasion that I straighten: leave-in V05 vanilla mint, 3-in-1, and Tizz no Frizz
Pineapples, clips, diffusers, and paper towels are my hair's best friends.
.I'm a PJ.

Comments

• Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Registered Users Posts: 280
    I know I'm a 4b/4a kinky head but have you tried spicing up your routine with products with more natural ingredients? Maybe trying aloe vera gel will help? It should take care of the crunch, because it fights off the dryness in my hair.
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • lebanesecurlylebanesecurly Registered Users Posts: 161
    That's good advice but my hair hates aloe vera gel for some reason. It's weird...it's ok if it's in conditioner but not if I put it in directly. Thanks though!
    claiming a 2c/3aMiii
    growing my hair out to BSL
    & mod-CG as of 9/1/08 :blob5:
    Low-poo: VitaminShampoo pomegranate+blackberry
    'Poo to clarify: BTZ Noodlehead
    Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Stylers: LOOB! GVP Detangler, HESMU
    Put away for winter: PMRT, TW, LVPNG

On the rare occasion that I straighten: leave-in V05 vanilla mint, 3-in-1, and Tizz no Frizz
    Pineapples, clips, diffusers, and paper towels are my hair's best friends.
    .I'm a PJ.

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    Maybe you could take a little vacation from products? Give your hair and scalp some rest. Can't hurt, plus that might take care of any minor build-up you might have? Although I see you use a low-poo...

Has the weather changed at all? Wish I could help more.:cry:
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    My hair satiates on products and I need to rotate. I agree with Shea-girl-aloe on using more natural products. My hair LOVES it since I changed to more natural products. It's never been curlier or had more volume.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Registered Users Posts: 280
    That's good advice but my hair hates aloe vera gel for some reason. It's weird...it's ok if it's in conditioner but not if I put it in directly. Thanks though!
    Aww... sorry I couldn't be of more help. Anything else that I can think of might be to heavy for your hair type
    :( But I think onethousandcurls might have a point on product suggestion.
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Registered Users Posts: 3,778
    I noticed that you just started modified CG on 09/01. That may have something to do with it. My hair got worse before it got better when I went CG. Also, I think some of the products you're using may have silicones in them. If that is the case, a low-poo isn't going to remove them and you're going to get build-up.

If you've ruled out CG and silicones, maybe you should try an ACV rinse. That seems to perk my hair up quite a bit.

Finally, I also give credit to more natural product. I've been using Kinky-Curly, Aubrey Organics, and just started using Karen's Body Beautiful. It's made a huge difference in my hair. :-)
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file