Has anyone had a laparotomy?

goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
What can you tell me about post-op recovery? Pain? Swelling?
Poodlehead wrote:
Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Yes, I did. I was in a fair amount of discomfort after I got out of the surgical center (outpatient surgery). I went home, took a painkiller and went straight to bed.

I was uncomfortable for a couple days, but nothing awful. I had a bit of swelling, and that post-surgery feeling of your innards moving back into place, but that was it.

I had the surgery on a Thursday and was back to work with no issues on Monday, but I took it really easy in between times.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow!

I had surgery last Saturday (not this past one) and was discharged from the hospital Wednesday. I just had my follow-up appointment and they don't expect me to be back at work for at least another two weeks.
    Poodlehead wrote:
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Goldy, I hope your healing goes well. I may have a laparotomy in a few weeks.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
    Thanks DA. Mine was an emergency so I didn't have any time to actually mentally prepare, I'm still quite shaken up by everything.

I hope everything works out for you if you have a laparotomy. Hopefully your recovery will be more like PHs :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    goldy wrote: »
    Wow!

I had surgery last Saturday (not this past one) and was discharged from the hospital Wednesday. I just had my follow-up appointment and they don't expect me to be back at work for at least another two weeks.

I expect we had different surgeries. I think "laparotomy" is just HOW they open you up, not what they do while they're in there.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Oh hell. Mine was a laparoscopy, not a laparotomy. Sorry. :D Hope you feel better soon!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    Yes, I did. I was in a fair amount of discomfort after I got out of the surgical center (outpatient surgery). I went home, took a painkiller and went straight to bed.

I was uncomfortable for a couple days, but nothing awful. I had a bit of swelling, and that post-surgery feeling of your innards moving back into place, but that was it.

I had the surgery on a Thursday and was back to work with no issues on Monday, but I took it really easy in between times.

Are you sure you had a laparotomy? A big, midline type incision into your abdominal cavity or a lower "bikini" incision? Is it possible it was a laparoscopy where they put a camera in? I can't think of a single laparotomy that is an outpatient procedure. Every single patient with an open abdominal cavity stays for at least 20 hours or so post-op, usually more. The only thing I can think of would be an appendectomy (which isn't a true laparotomy) and those patients CAN go home the same day depending on the surgeon and the time of day, but 90% will end up staying overnight.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Thanks DA. Mine was an emergency so I didn't have any time to actually mentally prepare, I'm still quite shaken up by everything.

I hope everything works out for you if you have a laparotomy. Hopefully your recovery will be more like PHs :)

I had an emergency laparotomy the year before my son was born. I was NOT prepared for the pain when I came too after the surgery. I was in the hospital for almost a week. Once discharged, it was at least another week before I was freely mobile - standing erect that is. I was told to take 4-6 weeks off work. I took 4 and should've taken 6. I was completely exhausted the first week back.

My one piece of advice - if you're still hunched over when walking, force yourself to stand upright even though it will be extremely painful at first. I had a C section the year after my surgery which was the same pain. Because it was, I knew how to handle it. The first day I was up and about after having the baby, I forced myself to stand upright. It was very difficult but my recovery was much quicker.

Hope you're healing and that everything is ok with you.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had one almost 2 years ago now. I had severe swelling of my stomach, we are talking I look like I gained 15-20 pounds in the belly area. I also had severe pain and could not get out of bed alone or get into or out of the shower without assistance.

It took 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and 3 for pain to almost minimize.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte

(((hugs))) goldy & DA
    well you did kick butt this week!

:joker:
    Take it easy... :)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh hell. Mine was a laparoscopy, not a laparotomy. Sorry. :D Hope you feel better soon!

Yep- that's what I had too as an outpatient procedure. The worst part of this for me was the gas pockets rising up to my shoulders once I got home. Crap, it really hurt.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • popcornpopcorn Posts: 212Registered Users
    Husband had one a couple of years ago. As often is the case, his was also an emergency. Spent about 8 days in the hospital, and it was about 8 weeks before he was remotely back to himself. (He wasn't working at the time, but probably wouldn't have gone back before 6 weeks anyway.) By 6 months out, he was pretty much recovered.

Hugs!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Spider wrote: »

Yep- that's what I had too as an outpatient procedure. The worst part of this for me was the gas pockets rising up to my shoulders once I got home. Crap, it really hurt.

Ugh. I've had two laps and that was what I remember as the worst part.

Feel better soon, Goldy!
    I'm glad to hear all this swelling and pain that I have is normal -- I'm just not used to the adult world of medicine/surgery. My surgery was lengthy for what it was, and the pain before the surgery was quite significant as well. It's just hard being unable to just get up and go.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ok, no one is asking, so I will :)
    What did you have a lap for?
    you can tell me to mind my own business...lol

:laughing2:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

WileE, you have a pm
    Poodlehead wrote:
    :notworthy:
    and then the baby making begins, right? ok, I'll shaddup

:afro:
    0004.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file