Help me get Leona Lewis's hair

mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur
leona-lewis-01.jpg

Do you think she curls it in rollers?

I mistakenly put this in the 3b category, sorry.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    No, definitely doesn't look rolled on rollers or curling iron to me. Looks scrunched and diffused or air dried, as most of us do. I've never seen a picture of her or seen her on any show where it looked like it was artificially curled, which is unusual in these "show biz types", LOL.

They usually have suspiciously perfect, perfectly-placed curling-iron-looking spirals even when we know they have very curly hair. Even when they don't clamp the ends in the iron, as is so popular lately, you can just tell.

Mine's not this curly most of the time any more, but when it was, it looked very much like that by placing a couple of clips in the top for lift, diffusing upside down for a couple of minutes to get the curls going, air drying the rest of the way when possible, then NO MORE TOUCHING until I scrunched out the crunch once absolutely dry.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Her hair actually used to be tighter than that. I looks like either the bleaching loosened her texture or she texturized or something.

But all it looks like is she scrunched in product(maybe a gel), and maybe diffused to get volume. Maybe that's why it sorta looks like her texture/curl is different.

It would be easier to give recs on how to get her style if you posted pics.

ETA: pics of her with a tighter texture

Leona5.jpg

This one looks like maybe they set her hair on some rods or spiral rods, but I think it's pretty.

LeonaLewis-01-big.jpg
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • helloyellowbirdhelloyellowbird Banned Banned Users Posts: 1,632
    Her hair actually used to be tighter than that. I looks like either the bleaching loosened her texture or she texturized or something.

But all it looks like is she scrunched in product(maybe a gel), and maybe diffused to get volume. Maybe that's why it sorta looks like her texture/curl is different.

Leona5.jpg

This one looks like maybe they set her hair on some rods or spiral rods, but I think it's pretty.

LeonaLewis-01-big.jpg

I agree
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    ive never seen her hair when it wasnt curled artificially...its pretty.
    i cant really tell a diffenerce between pic number 1 and pic number 2. i must be losing my touch!

if your hair's texture naturally looks like leona's then you should have no problem recreating that look (leave in conditioner and some gel) but if it doesnt then youre probably never going to be able to get it to look like that. but if you do a roller set, it would look like the 3rd pic.
  • mandyvmandyv Registered Users Posts: 2,437 Curl Connoisseur
    subbrock wrote: »
    if your hair's texture naturally looks like leona's then you should have no problem recreating that look (leave in conditioner and some gel) but if it doesnt then youre probably never going to be able to get it to look like that. but if you do a roller set, it would look like the 3rd pic.

You think it's curled artificially using rollers?

I just cannot tell if it's a roller set or natural, but it makes me want to try the small rollers. My texture looks like hers but my hair has never looked quite like that. Her curls are looser. I always, always use leave in (Redkin Smooth Down & jojoba), and lately I've been using the green Lets Jam (and really liking it), so maybe rollers is the way to go. I'll let you know.

God, if only I could afford her stylists to come to my apartment every day LOL
    3c
    that last pic is definitely a roller set. ive attatched a pic of my roller set hair and my natural texture. rollers can do magic!
  • toofrizzytoofrizzy Registered Users Posts: 154
    that last pic is definitely a roller set. ive attatched a pic of my roller set hair and my natural texture. rollers can do magic!
    subrock - just wanted to say I LOVE your hair and your fotki has really inspired me to keep growing my hair - it has a very similar texture to yours and now I know if i keep growing it, I maybe able to get it looking as good as yours! cheers!
  • LilluLillu Registered Users Posts: 182
    subbrock, your hair is gorgoues, in both pics! For the rollerset pic, what kind of rollers did u use?
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!
    thanks toofrizzy and lillu!

i used these, but they were a a little bit smaller. my hair was shorter then so maybe ive graduated to the red ones by now. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magnetic-Rollers/SLNCAR37,default,pd.html

Leona5.jpg

LeonaLewis-01-big.jpg

May have been texturized to relax somewhat, but I still don't think it looks like rods, curlers, or curling iron was used on it - mine took no more than scrunching in the right products then diffusing and/or air drying when it was still that curly

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Registered Users Posts: 569 Curl Neophyte
    i cant really tell a diffenerce between pic number 1 and pic number 2. i must be losing my touch!

You might be right, but I don't think that first picture or the first pic that eccentric posted look artificial. How do you know if it isn't natural?

I do agree though. If your hair isn't naturally that texture, you probably aren't going to recreate that look, Mandy. I suppose if you have 3c hair and henna the hell out of it, it might get close. They say that sometimes it loosens the texture. :dontknow:
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

You might be right, but I don't think that first picture or the first pic that eccentric posted look artificial. How do you know if it isn't natural?

I do agree though. If your hair isn't naturally that texture, you probably aren't going to recreate that look, Mandy. I suppose if you have 3c hair and henna the hell out of it, it might get close. They say that sometimes it loosens the texture. :dontknow:

i was saying that i have never seen her hair like in the first two pics. they look like they would be a natural hair texture. i think the times ive seen her, her hair is always in big glamourous waves/curls like in her video for "bleeding love."

i was saying that i have never seen her hair like in the first two pics. they look like they would be a natural hair texture. i think the times ive seen her, her hair is always in big glamourous waves/curls like in her video for "bleeding love."

Oooh. Gotcha.
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

Ugh, I tried to henna once recently and only made a huge mess and it never applied properly...

Whole 'nother issue -- I sure wish I could make hena work.
    3c
    mandyv wrote: »

Ugh, I tried to henna once recently and only made a huge mess and it never applied properly...

I tried it tonight for the first time. It's still on my head. I'm thinking I had the mixture too thick. It was really hard to spread through my hair and my hair got tangled. I also should have put it on very wet hair. I let mine airdry for a while and that didn't help either.

I suggest that you give it another try. (I know that I will!) Application will probably be easier the second time. Live and learn!

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG

• mariag002mariag002 Registered Users Posts: 3,557 Curl Neophyte

Leona5.jpg

*gasp* She has the beautiful perfect long curls & color I dream about LOL
    :love7:
    I hate her music tho :hmph: LOL

My daughter can get her hair to look like that. Then again she has a looser curl texture than me. I think that if your hair looks like hers then you can achieve it. I have a tighter curl pattern so I doubt I could get my hair to look like that without curlers.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

mariag002 wrote: »
    I think that if your hair looks like hers then you can achieve it. I have a tighter curl pattern so I doubt I could get my hair to look like that without curlers.

There have been days when my hair looked like hers only without the gorgeous color, and I can't seem to replicate it. It's that search for the holy grail product, and would that the product kept working....
    3c

I tried it tonight for the first time. It's still on my head. I'm thinking I had the mixture too thick. It was really hard to spread through my hair and my hair got tangled. I also should have put it on very wet hair. I let mine airdry for a while and that didn't help either.

I suggest that you give it another try. (I know that I will!) Application will probably be easier the second time. Live and learn!

I just henna/indigoed mine for the second time last night, and it was easier the second time, just knowing what to expect.

In case you're not familiar with www.hennaforhair.com , there are lots of good tips there. I also ordered the free e-book from the site, and it says to apply to clean, dry hair - Don't know if putting it on very wet hair would make it harder to distribute or would affect how well it colors. Also, it's recommended that hair's well covered with a plastic cap and/or plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and to keep it warm so the color works better. I used a cap and two layers of wrap.

As recommended, I had it about the consistency of stirred-up yogurt and just glopped it onto my sectioned-off hair with gloved hands. I had a drape around my shoulders as well as a sheet on the floor, but I actually didn't make too big a mess this time. I did it in the bathroom, unclothed except for that drape, so I could just step into the shower and rinse off once I got my hair wrapped in plastic.

Next time, I'm going to try just a root touch-up with a syringe I got from them, so it should be even easier and less messy - mixed up extra henna mix and froze so I'll just have to mix fresh indigo and amla and I'm good to go. I'm loving this - it was just a matter of getting the right mix and methods, and it's saving me $$$ on all-over foil highlights, not to mention actually being good for my hair!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • LilluLillu Registered Users Posts: 182
    thanks toofrizzy and lillu!

i used these, but they were a a little bit smaller. my hair was shorter then so maybe ive graduated to the red ones by now. http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magnetic-Rollers/SLNCAR37,default,pd.html

Thanks subbrock! I might pop to Sally's tomorrow (there's one next door to my work :thumbright:)

Are magnetic rollers easy to use? I've never even seen them before!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!
    auntnett wrote: »

I just henna/indigoed mine for the second time last night, and it was easier the second time, just knowing what to expect.

In case you're not familiar with www.hennaforhair.com , there are lots of good tips there. I also ordered the free e-book from the site, and it says to apply to clean, dry hair - Don't know if putting it on very wet hair would make it harder to distribute or would affect how well it colors. Also, it's recommended that hair's well covered with a plastic cap and/or plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out and to keep it warm so the color works better. I used a cap and two layers of wrap.

As recommended, I had it about the consistency of stirred-up yogurt and just glopped it onto my sectioned-off hair with gloved hands. I had a drape around my shoulders as well as a sheet on the floor, but I actually didn't make too big a mess this time. I did it in the bathroom, unclothed except for that drape, so I could just step into the shower and rinse off once I got my hair wrapped in plastic.

Next time, I'm going to try just a root touch-up with a syringe I got from them, so it should be even easier and less messy - mixed up extra henna mix and froze so I'll just have to mix fresh indigo and amla and I'm good to go. I'm loving this - it was just a matter of getting the right mix and methods, and it's saving me $$$ on all-over foil highlights, not to mention actually being good for my hair!

Ha ha. Yes, I've heard of it. That's where I ordered my henna and that is why I tried to apply it to dry hair. However, I believe they are used to straight and/or less tangly hair. I dunno. I conditioned before with a low oil conditioner but washed it all out so it wouldn't have problems being absorbed. Then I let it airdry for a while, and without my usual conditioner coating, it started to dry REALLY fast.

So applying henna to dry(ish) hair was a nightmare. I know a lot of curlies on these boards apply it to wet hair (unless I read it wrong, and it's possible) so I'm going to try that next. I think the consistency was really close to yogurt, but maybe it should have been a little thinner. Or maybe my hair is just difficult. I'm going to try to thin it out just a little bit more next time.

I wrapped my hair with so much saran wrap that I'm surprised I didn't finish the thing! Then, I put on my microwave heat cap for about an hour and a half, then I put on two cold weather caps on and went to sleep. It did not dry out at all, and I left it in for about 10 hours. The hardest part for me was the application to almost dry hair. I'm used to having more slip and the henna REALLY stretched out my hair when I was trying to apply it to every strand.

Still, I've learend from my mistakes, and I'm excited! I think I'm going to henna again tomorrow night. I'm glad it worked better for you this time!

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG

LOL, I thought you meant you let the henna airdry, not your hair! That's why I thought maybe you weren't familiar with HFH.com. Sorry, I hoped I might be sharing something that would help. My hair's not as curly and not very coarse any more, either, so it probably does handle quite differently from yours.

Sounds like you did about everything you could. I added honey to my mix the first time because, according to some, it supposedly makes it easier to rinse out, but mine was much easier this time, and I didn't use it - don't know if it had anything to do with it or not.

Used KBB Hair Nectar afterwards, and it was so much easier to detangle this time - tangled terribly for days the first time. Highly recommend it if you have any . . . .

All that aside, how did your color turn out? Just wondered since you're doing it again tomorrow night . . . Better luck with it this time!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file