What is this - 2c, maybe?

DancerTXDancerTX Posts: 3Registered Users
I'm having a little trouble classifying my hair. There are ringlets underneath in spots, but most of it looks like this. It's thick and coarse and prone to frizz - if I let it air dry without diffusing it's straighter and frizzier.

I can link to a bigger picture if that's better....

Also - I'll take any product or cut recommendations y'all have. I'm on day 2 of CG and so far, so good. I'm just using LOOB and lube right now - the LOOB straight out of the shower, and KY liquid to smooth and de-frizz after it's dry.

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    It's kind of hard to tell from so close up, but probably 2b or 2c. I find it confusing to tell the difference between the two. NC.com says 2C is more coarse in texture (which yours doesn't seem to be) and another hair typing system says 2C has more spirals than 2B. Does that make sense?

Good luck with CG! It's made a big difference in my hair.

As far as products go, are you interested in things you can buy locally or are you open to buying on-line? Do you want to use things in the drugstore price range or more expensive items? There are great products in either range, but it helps if we know what you're willing to do.

Welcome!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DancerTX wrote: »
    I'm having a little trouble classifying my hair. There are ringlets underneath in spots, but most of it looks like this. It's thick and coarse and prone to frizz - if I let it air dry without diffusing it's straighter and frizzier.

I can link to a bigger picture if that's better....

Also - I'll take any product or cut recommendations y'all have. I'm on day 2 of CG and so far, so good. I'm just using LOOB and lube right now - the LOOB straight out of the shower, and KY liquid to smooth and de-frizz after it's dry.

Thanks for any feedback!
    Going by your description sounds like 2C, it is a little hard to tell close-up. Can you get another pic?
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • DancerTXDancerTX Posts: 3Registered Users
    Here's a link to another pic (ignore the messy desk!). http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1408028/2682802/336719106.jpg That was taken a few hours after the other, so some of the wave had "degenerated" already.

As for products, I don't mind spending a little extra money, but I do prefer things that I can buy locally (I'm in a large city) rather than ordering online.

Thanks again!
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DancerTX wrote: »
    Here's a link to another pic (ignore the messy desk!). http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL84/1408028/2682802/336719106.jpg That was taken a few hours after the other, so some of the wave had "degenerated" already.

As for products, I don't mind spending a little extra money, but I do prefer things that I can buy locally (I'm in a large city) rather than ordering online.

Thanks again!
    Yeah, you look 2C ish to me! You can see in my siggie the products that I use. CK being an absolute MUST. I still would like to find a curl creme that works for me. Recoil used to give me great hair on Day 1 but the mag sulphs and whatever else was in it would make me so itchy the next day and I had to wash. I finally cut it out, wasn't worth having to use sulphates to remove the stuff!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I still think 2B/2C with definite 2C potential. :-)

I agree with Del that [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (available at Curlmart) is great for frizz control or in a humid climate. It works similar to KY though, so it might not be worth it to switch if the KY is working for you.

With the disclaimer that everyone's hair is different, here are a few of my favorite things:

Kinky-Curly Knot Today (KCKT) - conditioner/leave-in
    Kinky-Curly Curling Custard ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]) - natural styling gel)

The Kinky-Curly products are also available at Curlmart or you can check www.kinky-curly.com to see if there is someplace close to you that carries it. If you're going to buy it on-line, I recommend Curlmart. The customer service is great and the shipping is fast.

Although the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is expensive, a little goes a long way, and it's fabulous stuff. :love7: Very soft, bouncy curls. And it smells good. :wink:

If you're looking for a hard hold, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee (BRHG) is wonderful and is available at Target, CVS, etc. It runs about $13 a tube and is CG-friendly. It is a very firm hold, but it does scrunch out with some effort. I use a teeny dab on top of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] for extra hold.

Conditioners:

Giovanni Direct Leave-In - about $8; available at Target, Wal-Greens
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose - $11; smells old lady'ish, but is very moisturizing if your hair is dry; available at health food stores and Whole Foods
    Jessicurl Too Shea! and Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment - $12 each; available at Curlmart, www.jessicurl.com

Sorry for the info overload. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask lots of questions. Everyone is very helpful here.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file