Is "oh crap" a cuss/swear/bad word not to be used in public?

LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
Today at work I said, under my breath, "oh crap" because I had made a mistake. This lady looked at me like I was the scourge of the Earth and insisted I shouldn't swear in public, going on to say that when She feels the need to swear in public, she says "Oh Rats" and that I should do that too.

ETA: I think "oh crap" is an EXTREMELY mild thing to say, even in "public." I could have said much worse.
Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
It's Sydney, like Australia.
Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    Nah, I think it's fine. I might go the "oh rats" route if I was in a classroom with small kids or something. But, at work, under your breath, I see no cussing with 'crap'!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IMO it's the intent behind the words so it really doesn't matter what you say. I prefer the word crappydoodles myself.

guano: My ex-finance's parents considered the word "sucks" to be a swear word, as in "that sucks." I could never think of an alternative that didn't sound completely yuppyish.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CRAP! I hope hope crap's not a bad word, because I use it frequently as a substitute for sh1t in polite company.

I would find your co-worker's admonishing as if you are a child to be insulting...much worse manners than your use of the word crap.
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    IMO it's the intent behind the words so it really doesn't matter what you say. I prefer the word crappydoodles myself.

guano: My ex-finance's parents considered the word "sucks" to be a swear word, as in "that sucks." I could never think of an alternative that didn't sound completely yuppyish.

blows, bites,..urks?

She's put in me in a foul mood. I couldn't believe how insistent she was about it. I really don't see the harm in SAYING anything. I could have said "oh sh*t" and in general, I think that's fine. In "public," I tend to use "crap" only because I know sh*t isn't accepted by most. They are just words.

AND, It's not like I directed it AT her or ANYONE for that matter.

AND, TV censors don't bleep "crap." That makes it perfectly acceptable. *nod*

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i'd say shoot before i'd say crap in mixed company or around children. i get that weirdness from my mother who wouldn't let us say "darn or darnit" because she thought it was too close to saying damn or dammit, but allowed us to say "shoot" ... go figure. :laughing7:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    rainshower wrote: »
    i'd say shoot before i'd say crap in mixed company or around children. i get that weirdness from my mother who wouldn't let us say "darn or darnit" because she thought it was too close to saying damn or dammit, but allowed us to say "shoot" ... go figure. :laughing7:

Yeah, "Shoot" sounds closer to "sh*t" than "crap" does... :evil1:

lol, I hope the mods don't get upset at the bleeped profanity.

SydneyCurl wrote: »

blows, bites,..urks?

Blows, bites wouldn't have worked. They objected to any slang that could be a sexual reference. And like a lot of pervert police, they could come up with some that most wouldn't dream of.

blows, bites,..urks?

Blows, bites wouldn't have worked. They objected to any slang that could be a sexual reference. And like a lot of pervert police, they could come up with some that most wouldn't dream of.

Funny, I mean I get that there COULD be sexual meaning to those words... but all of those words also have OTHER meanings. People just tend to look for things to object to, I think.

"Pervert-police" - that's pretty good.

• ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Being an expert on foul language, I'd have to say that "crap" isn't a swear word. It's a little crude and as long as you're not making a habit of saying that (or real swear words at work), Idon't see what the big deal is.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • stefathenastefathena Posts: 450Registered Users
    i say a lot worse at work.
    new york city

barack the vote!
  • RyanneRyanne Posts: 686Registered Users
    I think it's fine.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator

blows, bites,..urks?

How about "that stinks?"

My grandmother didn't agree with cussing and the strongest thing my granddad was allowed to say was "Oh, raspberries."
    SuZenGuide wrote: »

blows, bites,..urks?

How about "that stinks?"

My grandmother didn't agree with cussing and the strongest thing my granddad was allowed to say was "Oh, raspberries."

That might have worked. Also later I thought of "that's not cool." But of course, at the time my mind would go blank. :laughing7:
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I would find your co-worker's admonishing as if you are a child to be insulting...much worse manners than your use of the word crap.

I completely agree.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Today at work I said, under my breath, "oh crap" because I had made a mistake. This lady looked at me like I was the scourge of the Earth and insisted I shouldn't swear in public, going on to say that when She feels the need to swear in public, she says "Oh Rats" and that I should do that too.

ETA: I think "oh crap" is an EXTREMELY mild thing to say, even in "public." I could have said much worse.

How old was this lady? I agree with RCW, I think her saying something to you was definitely more rude. I don't think "oh crap" is anything to be concerned about.

How old was this lady? I agree with RCW, I think her saying something to you was definitely more rude. I don't think "oh crap" is anything to be concerned about.

Probably mid to late 60s.

I should also add that she asked if I "learned that from my father" like I was some 5 year old, also implying that, from her perspective, my father has the mouth of a sailor. I did not appreciate that one bit.

I should also add that she asked if I "learned that from my father" like I was some 5 year old, also implying that, from her perspective, my father has the mouth of a sailor. I did not appreciate that one bit.

UGH!!! This kind of attitude from some older women in the workplace bugs the ever living crap out of me. I would have been tempted to say "No, but I learned **** **** ass and damn from him!". Her lack of respect for you is what is the issue at hand here, not your use of the word crap. She's the one who needs to grow up, not you.
  • JessicurlJessicurl Posts: 401Registered Users
    You can say it on the radio, so it must not be too bad.

You can also say damn and ass, for the record. :) (but probably not all 3 in a row...)
    If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users

WOW, that's unbelievable. What did you say to her (I think I'd be too shocked to say anything)? Is this typical behavior for her?
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    Gemini13 wrote: »

WOW, that's unbelievable. What did you say to her (I think I'd be too shocked to say anything)? Is this typical behavior for her?

Nothing. I just looked at her funny. I'm unsure if it's her norm. I've heard she has the "Miss Manners" mentality though. And really, I am a very polite person. I hold doors for people, pick up things people have dropped, always say please and thank you, etcetcetc. It's not like I'm a horrible, wreckless, 20something who lounges around swearing her head off. :thumbdown:

Gemini13 wrote: »

Nothing. I just looked at her funny. I'm unsure if it's her norm. I've heard she has the "Miss Manners" mentality though. And really, I am a very polite person. I hold doors for people, pick up things people have dropped, always say please and thank you, etcetcetc. It's not like I'm a horrible, wreckless, 20something who lounges around swearing her head off. :thumbdown:

And even if you were it wouldn't be her place to say anything. You are not her child or grandchild, you are her coworker and she needs to treat you the same as any other coworker, regardless of age and your use or nonuse of the word crap.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    Your coworker was out of line.

As far as saying "Oh Crap," I don't think it belongs in the work place, or around young children. That's just my opinion. It isn't professional & young children tend to pick up what they hear adults say, bad or good.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I say crap all the time. I was on the phone with my Mom this morning and I told her I needed to make a list of all the crap I needed to get done, how else was I supposed to get all my little craplings in a row.

She thought it was funny.

Now I have to go tell her it was crass and I learned it from my father. :lol:
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh crap! I didn't know crap was a bad word!

Crap, I said it again.

Crap!

:glasses9:

My co-worker says "****zu puppies." I'm not sure that's any better than "crap." :laughing7:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    Maybe you should start saying "oh, carp" when you're around her just for the fun of it. Then that would probably be a whole other lecture.

I always thought that I was being polite when I said crap instead of cursing. Shows what I know. :wink: How does she feel about heck, darn, freaking, etc, etc?
    33abhqq.gif
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users

As far as saying "Oh Crap," I don't think it belongs in the work place, or around young children. That's just my opinion. It isn't professional & young children tend to pick up what they hear adults say, bad or good.
    Agree with it all.

I try to avoid words like "crap" or "sucks" or "screwed up" in front of my kids.
    Minneapolis, MN
    I actually called my dad to tell him this story while I was eating lunch earlier and he said next time I saw her I just exclaim "OH RATS" and say nothing else. I don't think she'd get it...but then again, it might be fun to confuse the old bat. :)

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Poodlehead wrote: »

Agree with it all.

I try to avoid words like "crap" or "sucks" or "screwed up" in front of my kids.

My general rule is, if I don't want my kids to repeat it, it's not a good word.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I say carp :laughing7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I admit, I have a bit of a potty mouth when upset, irritated or angry. (lately that's been too often). I don't consider crap to be a swear word, but try to limit my cursing to that and one other word. I'll admit I let my kids say crap, but they can't say it out of our home. My hope is that'll be enough and they won't take up swearing like I did. Only time will tell.
    My husband hates cursing of any kind and crap is the strongest word I've ever heard him say. He was calling from work and said it because of something that happened there. I was floored. 16 years together and he's said that one word once within my hearing.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file