confused about a msg from an old friend

Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
i got a brief message today from a girl i used to hang out with in high school. we hadn't kept in contact, but i heard about what was going on with her through other friends. we used to be close for a little while, but we pretty much drifted apart after school.

anyway, it's been probably 5 or 6 years since i've talked to her, but today i got a little message from her and this is how it read:

Hi Rebecca! Just thought I'd say hello and all that. Wondering what your personality is like these days, etc.

and that was it. i guess i'm just confused about that whole personality part. what the hell does that mean? and what does she expect me to say to that? it seems like a weird, sneaky kind of question.

or i'm just missing something. :laughing7:
*~*displaced yooper*~*
:hockey: \m/ \m/
3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3

Comments

• g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I would take it as a slam on my personality. What were like back then?:laughing7:
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    well most people classified me as goofy, nice (sometimes too nice), and easygoing. everyone's got a b-i-t-c-h-y streak, and i'm no different, but i don't think i'm any worse than the average gal! :wink:

maybe someone's makin' up stories about me!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would be so tempted to respond in an equally strange way.

"Oh hey! My personality is about a mid-range turtle shoe. How are those couch cushions working out for ya, etc."

Ok, well that's way more bizarre than what she wrote, but still... I'd be tempted.

Rebecca, I don't know what the hell she meant by that. What a weird thing to say.
    Maybe she meant, like what kinds of things you're interested in these days, or something? I don't know. Either she is really weird, or she just doesn't know how to communicate.
    I would be so tempted to respond in an equally strange way.

"Oh hey! My personality is about a mid-range turtle shoe. How are those couch cushions working out for ya, etc."

Ok, well that's way more bizarre than what she wrote, but still... I'd be tempted.

Rebecca, I don't know what the hell she meant by that. What a weird thing to say.
    Maybe she meant, like what kinds of things you're interested in these days, or something? I don't know. Either she is really weird, or she just doesn't know how to communicate.

haha, maybe i'll send her that message! yeah, maybe she meant to word it differently....or maybe she's a FREAK!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What yagotta said. Or you could just reply, "That's a retarded question" and move on.

Sounds like there's something going on that your old friend isn't sharing.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MAYBE she wrote "personal life" but misspelled it and the computer autocorrected it to personality and she didn't catch it.

If you want to talk to her, just email back and say:

"Personality?" and that's it. She's either explain or your won't hear from her.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • IlovemycurlsIlovemycurls Posts: 49Registered Users
    MAYBE she wrote "personal life" but misspelled it and the computer autocorrected it to personality and she didn't catch it.

I'd agree with this - it would be highly unlikely that someone you hadn't heard from in a few years would get in touch just to insult you, lol.

If you read it in context, it does sound like she really just wants to catch up and hear about what you've been up to, I wouldn't read anything bad into it.

They used to call me Crystal Tips... :eek:

~ Curly from birth! :toothy7: 3B ~

Currently using:
    Aussie Frizz Miracle shampoo
    Wilko's own-brand Coconut conditioner
    Bodyshop Wheat Protein mousse for curly/fine hair
    Bodyshop Brazilnut Define & No Frizz cream
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
    i think she's being witchy!
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    That is very odd phrasing on her part.
    it's possible that she mis-typed something and the computer corrected it that way.

but if not, she's a smart girl, and is good with words. she knows how something may be construed. so if she wasn't mis-typing, she definitely meant to word it that way.

but why? i have no idea. maybe she's mad because i never tried to contact her over the years (to be fair, she never tried to contact me either, and she had plenty of resources to). i dunno.

she can get kind of funny sometimes though. my best friend sent her a 'hi how are you' message on myspace a few years ago after awhile of them not talking (due to being busy with school, etc), she sent my friend an angry message back about how she never writes to her, and why should she respond just because she wrote to her now, etc. we didn't get it.

she can be kind of a b-word too (don't get me wrong, so can i, but she had kind of a history of it), so also knowing that, the message seems kind of snarky.

all the analysis aside, i think i'm just going to say hi and ask how she's doing, and disregard the comment. i'll find out what she means sooner or later!
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I agree. Just emailing her back & ignoring her comment may frustrate her if she was trying to push a hot button. Maybe that will make her elaborate more. Let us know how she responds.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls
  • Rubber BiscuitRubber Biscuit Posts: 1,294Registered Users
    Hmm... her wording is weird, so I'd say something like:

Hey girl hey! My personality is just as sparkling as ever ;D Hope you're taking care!

That way if it was a typo, you're just saying something quirky back or if it was snarky, it could be construed as a little snarky/"I could care less" back...

ETA: just saw that you are going to send a nice email back to her. Guess you're a wee bit more mature than I am LOL :)
    - Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
    - Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    all the analysis aside, i think i'm just going to say hi and ask how she's doing, and disregard the comment. i'll find out what she means sooner or later!
    Great idea.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would have just asked her what she meant.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Phoenix wrote: »
    What yagotta said. Or you could just reply, "That's a retarded question" and move on.

Sounds like there's something going on that your old friend isn't sharing.

Wow, I find it really funny that you would use this word to describe it. I remember using that word once and having everyone jump down my throat, you included. What makes this situation different?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file