hating my hair.

finchfinch Registered Users Posts: 333
:thumbdown: Ugh. I know this is a transitional period, but man...it is ROUGH. I want to just scrub scrub scrub and blow my hair out straight. I'm in that "I must do SOMETHING" phase of hair panic, and am thinking maybe getting a trim will help. I dunno. At any rate, my hair isn't getting any curlier any more. I got some improvement right off the bat, now I'm sort of stagnated. I HAVE TO use a diffuser or my hair just looks like crap. That, and I am out and about all day long just about every day of the week, and going out with wet hair just looks crappy and I don't like it.

I am not loving CK at all. Not one bit. It doesn't do anything special to my hair, regardless of how much or how little I use.

I'm just very very frustrated right now. I'm 11 days in to 100% CG.

Sigh.
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    If you post pictures and tell people product and routine, they may be able to help. For some people, it takes a while to see results. What are you using besides CK?

We all go through a lot of trial, error and experimentation. My hair responded well to modified CG, CG and now that I'm using more natural products--it's the best it's ever been.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finchfinch Registered Users Posts: 333
    I'll have my husband take some pictures tonight when he gets home so you can see the travesty that is my hair. :(

My routine is to cowash about every 2-3 days, water rinse and cond. rinse every day. Use a microfiber towel to dry (I haven't mastered plopping...I'm very uncoordinated, LOL), add CK and then diffuse dry. Sometimes I add in some LOOB after the CK. I am debating on whether or not to keep my bangs, too, 'cause I frigging HATE my face without bangs.

Conditioners I use are Suave naturals coconut and L'Oreal Vive pro nutri gloss.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

A lot of you issues could be with the products you're using. Curly hair NEEDs moisture, moisture and more moisture. The Suave naturals really isn't moisturizing enough for most of us. Here are the ingredients for the L'Oreal conditioner:

Water - Aqua , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , PEG-180 , Amodimethicone , Cetyl Esters , Fragrance - Parfum , Glycerin , Methylparaben , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Olive Fruit Oil - Olea Europaea Oil , Trideceth-6 , Citric Acid , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Cetrimonium Chloride , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Coumarin , Safflower Glucoside , Royal Jelly/Royal Jelly Extract , Yellow 5 - CI 19140 , Yellow 6 - CI 15985

While amodimethicone is also in [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]Deva One C[/buylink], there are issues with build up--depending on what you're using to remove it. Suave probably won't take it out, you'll need a low poo. You're probably not getting much from that product, either.

I'm allergic to CK, but it didn't do much for me when I tried it. You're not listing any styling products. You don't use styling products most of the time, and when you do, it's LOOB. Some people love it and others find it very drying.

I used a microfiber towel. It was fine in the winter, but contributed to frizz in the summer.

Hope I wasn't too hard on you. But I can understand why you're not getting the kind of results you're wanting.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finchfinch Registered Users Posts: 333
    You absolutely weren't too hard on me, that's the kind of response I need.

Okay, so should I do a baking soda/cowash to clear out my scalp again?

What kind of conditioner do you recommend for cowashing?

I thought CK is a styling product? If it's not, what do you suggest?

Is it really okay to dry my hair with a plain old towel?

Edited to add: I find LOOB very drying, it leaves my hair crunchy, which I HATE.

Okay, so should I do a baking soda/cowash to clear out my scalp again? You probably need to do at least a low poo. If that's all you did to start and you didn't clarify (SLS shampoo) to remove all the cones--that's another reason why you're having issues.

What kind of conditioner do you recommend for cowashing? A lot of people use the Suave. You need to add a moisturizing rinse out. I, personally, did the cowash routine for six months and my hair was good. I've been doing soap/shampoo bars (considered very gentle low poo) for about a month and my hair is better. That's in conjunction with using more natural products.

I thought CK is a styling product? If it's not, what do you suggest? CK is mostly anti frizz. I'm thinking leave in, curl creme and gel.

Is it really okay to dry my hair with a plain old towel? NEVER!!! Lots of people use Curlease and Curls like Us towels (me, too.) They are expensive. A less expensive alternative would be a flour sack towel.

Edited to add: I find LOOB very drying, it leaves my hair crunchy, which I HATE. Gels can leave your hair crunchy, depending on the leave in. But that crunch can be scrunched out. I'd stop the LOOB, ASAP--if it's drying.

Products I use and recommend are in my signature. Only problem is that most are not "drugstore" products.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isaisa Registered Users Posts: 13
    OH
    I'm right with you. I am having a rough time also. I'm considering a wig for a while. Just want to say you are not alone.
    Isabel
  • curlygurleecurlygurlee Registered Users Posts: 9
    I have been using the no-poo method for about 3 weeks now. My hair is simply loving it. the bangs are always a challenge, but using the hair pin method described in CG really helps. I have been using Mop Top products on my hair. I am happy with these products so far, but would love to try something else too. The gel's hold is a bit too light on my 3a hair, but my hair has never been softer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file