Coconut oil?

atlantisrisingatlantisrising Registered Users Posts: 263
What kind do you use and where do you get it? Does it add shine? What are the benefits?

What other oils are really good?

Comments

• CurlilocsCurlilocs Registered Users Posts: 821
    I use the Garden of Life Brand. I purchased mine at the Vitamin Shoppe. I usually add coconut oil to wet/ damp hair before adding my styling product. To me it's very light, but it has been very conditioning. I have added it to dry hair to get a little extra sheen. I have a Jojoba oil blend that I got from the BBS. It really adds shine, but if I use to much on my wet hair it will dry a little crispy.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • curlycovrgirlcurlycovrgirl Registered Users Posts: 153
    I really like coconut oil. I get it at the health food store, can't remember the brand, but its the organic, unrefined kind.

it is very light and works well on wet or dry hair. I also use it for hot oil treatments on the weekends. :D
    3c/4a - Relaxer Free since Feburary 2004 and Obsessed with my hair.

I have pictures now! password: curlygirl
  • amarilla505amarilla505 Registered Users Posts: 164
    i really like spectrum naturals organic coconut oil. i've been using it for about a year now and it's worked great for my hair. good shine and softness. i use it on my body as well. i get mine from whole foods for about 6 dollars. i think they have it at earth fare also. the "refined" version is the type that i use, i haven't tried unrefined yet. here are a couple of links about coconut oil. i hope that helps :)

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=189238&cgrfnbr=191666

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/index.php?id=247
    Truly Aesthetic...mind, body and spirit ;)
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    I buy the Organic Virgin Coconut Oil from www.fromnaturewithlove.com
    I buy the 32oz because the bigger ones are always out of stock. It smells sooooooo good...tastes good too :shock:

I use it with my leave in and mix it into my deep conditioners. Sometimes I do a hot oil treatment with it. It does add shine but like Curlilocs said, if you add to much it will dry too oily/crispy.

I'm also a big fan of castor oil for my ends. I've used hemp seed oil before, it's a lighter oil too and is nice for mixing in conditioners...it seems like it soaks in more than coconut or other oils.
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
  • CanocurlsCanocurls Registered Users Posts: 170
    I looove coconut oil.:D I buy the unrefined oil from the health food store. It's white and thick at room temperature. I use it along with coconut milk when I do my deep treatments. It leaves my hair shiny, smooth and it smells so good. :D

Lately I've been thinking of trying avocado oil but I wonder if it would be too heavy or greasy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Remember Rosa
    Type: 3/4
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Canocurls wrote:

Lately I've been thinking of trying avocado oil but I wonder if it would be too heavy or greasy.

It's not heavy/greasy at all. It's almost the consistency of coconut oil, just a tad but heavier. I would give it a try.

Oh, and I love coconut oil as well. I use virgin/organic oil that is also solid at room temp. Smells delicious and has MANY uses outside of using it on your hair.

It works well under gels. Make the gels just glide over my hair. It adds subtle shine and emolliency to the hair.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398

It works well under gels. Make the gels just glide over my hair. It adds subtle shine and emolliency to the hair.

I want to try this! I always just use leave ins under gel, but maybe straight coconut oil could work if I just use a tiny amount.

Lately, I don't use straight oils that much. I am using oil blends by Jessicurl and MY Honey Child. (The Wild Growth Hair Oil is good too, but kind of smells like curry). When I use straight oils, I like coconut, jojoba and avocado the best. Castor oil is insanely thick, but a little of it on ends is pretty good and won't drip because of the heaviness.

Honey can be just as good as oil, and they play well together too 8)
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    [Oh, and I love coconut oil as well. I use virgin/organic oil that is also solid at room temp. Smells delicious and has MANY uses outside of using it on your hair.

I bought a jar like this from a health food store and I never got the hang of how to use it correctly. I would rub a clump of it between my hands and it would turn watery and run all over the place. When I managed to get it into my hair, it just sat there. It didn't seem to soak in.

What did I do wrong? I've never had any luck with oils.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Bianca wrote:
    [Oh, and I love coconut oil as well. I use virgin/organic oil that is also solid at room temp. Smells delicious and has MANY uses outside of using it on your hair.

I bought a jar like this from a health food store and I never got the hang of how to use it correctly. I would rub a clump of it between my hands and it would turn watery and run all over the place. When I managed to get it into my hair, it just sat there. It didn't seem to soak in.

What did I do wrong? I've never had any luck with oils.

Maybe your hair doesn't like coconut oil. Or oils in general(w/o another product layered w/it). Have you tried layering another product over the oil? Maybe a gel?

While I have been able to use it by itself, I prefer using it with shea butter or layered under another styling product. The result (w/shea butter)is soft/moisturized hair. Very little is needed. And when used under a styling gel, I get light curls w/ moderate hold. Meaning, the curls don't take long to dry compared to when using a leave in under a gel. The curls may not clump as much, but they aren't stringy-looking.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • BiancaBianca Registered Users Posts: 2,492 Curl Connoisseur
    I think it might be oils all together. I used to use a Jojoba cream oil from Kera Care but I had to stop with that also. It made my hair either really greasy or really dry.

I did make the coconut oil into a great lotion though!
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file