Ideas for hair down but not in the face

McCurlyMcCurly Registered Users Posts: 200
Hi,

I am looking for ideas for keeping my hair out of my eyes.

I am a 3B Corkscrew but my roots are wavy and flat on my scalp so it hangs in my face and I can't stand it.

When I part my hair and put them behind my ears I have to adjust it all the time so it does not work.
I would like to have some ideas about how to place it so that I have the feeling that my hair is down and no "too attached" (if you see what I mean...)
How do you proceed to play with barrettes and hair pins?
Maybe some of you could give me some tips or post some pics (of you or just pics with updos) so that I could get some ideas...

Thanks for helping me with this: I miss some imagination
:oops:
Corkscrew 3B

Comments

• McCurlyMcCurly Registered Users Posts: 200
    Really no idea?
    People whol et their bangs grow could have some good tips?
    Or nice updos seen in magazines or on celebs?
    :idea: :idea: :idea:
    Corkscrew 3B
    People whol et their bangs grow could have some good tips?
    Oups, sorry but it's late here.
    I meant: people who let their bangs grow long could have some good tips for me...
    Corkscrew 3B
  • hlpwizardhlpwizard Registered Users Posts: 47
    I'm still growing mine out and at that stage I had to use barretts or a head band. I thought it looked silly but my coworkers said it looked fine.
    I took the bangs straight back and clipped them that way.
    Wish I had more corkscrew curls...lol
    Hair type 3A/B,
    texture- fine
    porosity- low.....except end but think thats from the damage.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    I think that hair clips would work great for you! You can get a wide variety of sizes and styles in most drugstores or discount stores like Target. Barrettes and very tiny clips may work better for fine hair. Small to medium sized hair clips work well for thick, but not super thick, hair. Bigger sizes seem to be better for bigger hair.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
    OK. Tomorrow I will diffuse my hair upside-down with a lot of gel in it and I will add some hair clips on the "sensitive" sections that fall on my face.
    With all of this I really hope that it will be fine for me :wink:

I envy those of you with a higher forehead so that the locks fall on a nice way on the side (sigh...)
    Corkscrew 3B
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    I'm trying to grow my hair out and my bangs are at just the length to fall in my eyes, but not long enough to push back behind my ear. Bobby pins seem to work well for me in helping to keep my hair out of my eyes. I've even found some decorative bobby pins at the Dollar Tree. I take just the curl or two that is falling in my face and position it where I want and then slide the bobby pin in, hiding most of the bobby pin in my hair. It may take more than one bobby pin.

If you have alot of hair you need to hold back, bobby pins probably won't work. You might have to go with a barrette. On me (I'm almost 42), though, barettes just seem too childish-looking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • CelticCurlsCelticCurls Registered Users Posts: 558
    Hi McCurly! I've been gone from the boards so long I just this week saw your PM -- sorry!

I use a LOT of bobby pins in my very long 3B hair. I have the same problem you do. The curls at the sides of my face curl inward and they are actually drier than the rest of my hair and slightly less curly. Result = they fall in my face and drive me nuts. If I want my hair completely down, use 3 pins: one on each side, & one across the top. I use small pins that match my hair color and 'weave' them in. Then I take them and gently pull them away from my scalp a tiny bit. This makes my hair not appear to be pinned and they disappear into my hair. All the pix in my photo album have a variation of this pin method used in them.

Most often for work or if it's windy, I take a small one inch section just above each ear and twist it slightly, then pin it toward the back of my head. This gives an effect of the hair being gently 'roped' back, but not overly contained, and all the curl and texture is still there.
    3B, bra-strap length
    laidback, very-modified CGer
    HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
  • betweenshadesbetweenshades Registered Users Posts: 130
    I like using small bufferfly clips to pull my hair back. If my "bangs" aren't behaving, I'll pull them back as well.
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • beaglecookiebeaglecookie Registered Users Posts: 150
    My hair all one length and long. What I do is once I put the last product in I clip with a duckbill the the hair at the roots back. Once it dries it keeps your hair going back. was thinking of cuting bangs again, but not sure. It took me a long time to grow out to one length. On 2nd day hair I usually re-add gel to roots and re-clip and let dry.
    Hair almost to waist. Brown with light brown highlights. 3b spiral curls. I love curly hair.

One C, CK, Re:coil, Boots , Abba Weightless, BRHG, Spiral Cream, Curls Ecstasy and Ouidad DT

PW- mymia
    I wrote:
    I use a LOT of bobby pins in my very long 3B hair. I have the same problem you do. The curls at the sides of my face curl inward and they are actually drier than the rest of my hair and slightly less curly. Result = they fall in my face and drive me nuts. If I want my hair completely down, use 3 pins: one on each side, & one across the top. I use small pins that match my hair color and 'weave' them in. Then I take them and gently pull them away from my scalp a tiny bit. This makes my hair not appear to be pinned and they disappear into my hair. All the pix in my photo album have a variation of this pin method used in them.
    So nice to hear from you again! I would like to look at your pictures but I can't open the website. "Operation failed" is the message I get.
    Is there a problem with the website or is with my computer???

Brio wrote:

You might have to go with a barrette. On me (I'm almost 42), though, barettes just seem too childish-looking.
    Are you kidding? You seem so young! Curly hair keep us young and good-looking then :wink:

Do some of you know Susheela Raman? She is a terrific and gorgeous singer with ahir I would kill for.
    Heres is a pic and it seems (but you never know) that she does not put anything (styling products) on her hair.
    It is so amazing!
    And it seems that her hair stays naturally out of her face!!!!
    What do you think about?
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela05.JPG
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela06.JPG (hair longer on this one)
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela04.JPG (shorter with some layers I think)
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/Susheela%20Virgin%206.JPG (big hair and so beautiful!)
    Corkscrew 3B
    McCurly wrote:

Do some of you know Susheela Raman? She is a terrific and gorgeous singer with ahir I would kill for.
    Heres is a pic and it seems (but you never know) that she does not put anything (styling products) on her hair.
    It is so amazing!
    And it seems that her hair stays naturally out of her face!!!!
    What do you think about?
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela05.JPG
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela06.JPG (hair longer on this one)
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/susheela04.JPG (shorter with some layers I think)
    http://www.respectmusic.cz/2005/_tisk/Susheela%20Virgin%206.JPG (big hair and so beautiful!)

Another poster (Cehua) introduced her to some of us because of her hair. Susheela is a gorgeous, striking, talented woman with a great head of hair. Her hair has a lot of body (or volume/texture) which will be easier to keep off the face without styling aids. It is usually fine or limp hair that it starts flopping around and getting in your face, especially when it has some length, if that makes any sense.

Have you discovered any styling aids you like?
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."

McCurly wrote:
    So nice to hear from you again! I would like to look at your pictures but I can't open the website. "Operation failed" is the message I get.
    Is there a problem with the website or is with my computer???

D*mn! Must still be a problem with my photo album. If I can ever figure out how to upload the pix from my cell phone camera, I'll do that.
    3B, bra-strap length
    Curltopia wrote
    Another poster (Cehua) introduced her to some of us because of her hair. Susheela is a gorgeous, striking, talented woman with a great head of hair. Her hair has a lot of body (or volume/texture) which will be easier to keep off the face without styling aids. It is usually fine or limp hair that it starts flopping around and getting in your face, especially when it has some length, if that makes any sense.
    Oh, I did not know it. I often read the posts of Cehua but I probably missed this one.
    Yes, it makes sense to me. My hair is not very very fine but surely finer than the hair of Susheela Raman :(
    Have you discovered any styling aids you like?
    Well, I am still playing with my tools... Last summer I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] from Jessicurl mixed with some leave-in but I had shorter layers on the front and on the sides so it was quite OK.
    But now, it is longer (not past shoulders length)and because of the winter it is not strong enough for me. The day I wash my hair I use JCS "Condition and Sculp" with a sort of leave-in (Shine and Define from Oyin or with a milk from Ebene).
    The next day, if I have some luck it is OK with some Tigi gel (not super CG friendly) and leave-in.
    And for the other days it depends.
    Combinaison of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]CCSS[/buylink] with leave-in or again Tigi or Condition and Sculp. There are no rules until now.
    And I end up quite often with my hair in a ponytail because it does not look good enough to wear it down...
    Anyway, I have to resist the temptation to play with my hair!
    Yesterday I put some little clips and some gel before going out. But the weather was very humid and I visited friends who were in a very warm place.
    When I got back home my hair was terrible: flat on the scalp and frizzy from the humidity and you could see very well the clips (not hidden anymore like before) with some wild locks coming from nowhere. I had to laugh of myself!!!

I don't know. i still try and re-try and I hope that I will find some solution.
    All this long explanation for my poor hair missing some body and texture :roll:
    Corkscrew 3B
    McCurly wrote:

I don't know. i still try and re-try and I hope that I will find some solution.
    All this long explanation for my poor hair missing some body and texture :roll:

The products you mentioned all sound good, so maybe it is your technique? I thought that diffusing, scrunching and plopping all caused more volume (which is precisely why I personally avoid those techniques :P ) The other thought is mousse. The Aussie dual mousse is popular now, and I think that will give you more volume and texture.

Last thought - PM Spiderlashes. I don't know if your hair looks like hers, but she is always keen to enhance volume, just like you :)

McCurly, one of the mistakes I used to make -- & sometimes still do-- is not using enough product. It always seems like I must be using too much, when I'm applying the products to my wet hair, but once it's dry I can see that I needed every bit of it.

My hairs grows extremely puffy in humidity and loses all definition. I have found a leave-in cream really helps. Right now I like my Curls Souffle, but the thing that helps me most of all is applying my products to very wet hair -- right in the shower, just after I have wrung water out with my hands. I then apply the cream, wring again, then lots of gel, wring again, then plop in a microfiber towel for 20 minutes. After this, you can add more gel if you need to. But usually, I don't.

It is a night/day difference for me when I do this vs. applying gel after I have towel-dried my hair. If I wait until then, the frizz is already beginning, and I cannot properly distribute the gel all throughout the hair like I can when it is wet. It seals in the moisture, and also makes my hair very soft and non-crunchy. Before I began doing this, I too couldn't wear my hair down as often. But now, I wear it down most of the time, or with just a section of the sides pulled back. Ponytails are rare for me now, except for sleeping.
    3B, bra-strap length
    Curltopia wrote
    The products you mentioned all sound good, so maybe it is your technique
    Yes it could be!

I wrote
    My hairs grows extremely puffy in humidity and loses all definition. I have found a leave-in cream really helps. Right now I like my Curls Souffle, but the thing that helps me most of all is applying my products to very wet hair -- right in the shower, just after I have wrung water out with my hands. I then apply the cream, wring again, then lots of gel, wring again, then plop in a microfiber towel for 20 minutes. After this, you can add more gel if you need to. But usually, I don't.
    After reading your comments I just received my Aloeab conditioner.
    So I took a shower and changed the technique!
    I put products on soaking wet hair and used a microfiber towel for plopping. It was my first experiment with plopping and the result was quite good.
    I had to diffuse because after that I had to go out and it was snowing.
    Second day: this morning I could go with some spritch of water and gel but I had to put some bobby pins because some front sections of hair just falled in my face.

I will try again but putting the products on very wet hair and plopping could be a part of the solution for me.
    Maybe some spray gel before diffusing could prevent my hair of falling in my face, I don't know.

Anyway, many thanks for your ideas. Technique is surely more important than what I thought so I will pay attention to it. :wink:
    Corkscrew 3B
    l: I am so curious to see your pics about how you place the pins to hold your curls out of your face.
    Maybe is it possible for you to post juste some of them if the link with the album does not work?

Somem onths ago when I had a look at your pics I was out of breathe because of the beauty of the landscapes where you live. I miss it! :lol:

Many thanks!
    Corkscrew 3B
    McCurly wrote:

I will try again but putting the products on very wet hair and plopping could be a part of the solution for me.
    Maybe some spray gel before diffusing could prevent my hair of falling in my face, I don't know.

Anyway, many thanks for your ideas. Technique is surely more important than what I thought so I will pay attention to it. :wink:

Awesome!! Keep us posted :D

Yeees!!!!
    Plopping seems to be very good for my hair!
    It is the second time that I get nice results with putting my products (a lot of gel and leave-in) on very wet hair, letting some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Aloeba-Daily-Conditioner-p-104.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-aloeba-daily-conditioner]Aloeba[/buylink] in and plopping with my microfiber towel.
    After 20 minutes or more, I still need to diffuse (but it is still the winter here) and I get between great and very decent results!

Many many thanks for the tips, it helped me a lot.
    There are always things to improve but I am so happier now :lol:
    Corkscrew 3B
    :D Yay to McCurly and her success with the plopping technique!

• imagatto2imagatto2 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Hey there McCurly. I have run ino the same dilemna and started playing with clips and things and I came up with a couple of things:

1 - Take small chunks of hair and twist them around your finger. Pull them back and put a cute clip in. I usually grab two chunks - one on each side and pull them together in the back. I'll then pull out miscellaneous curls in the front for decoration. :D

2 - Pull your hair back gently (so that you don't disturb the natural curls) like you're going to put it in a ponytail. Take a rubberband and pull your hair through it halfway, wrap the band around the chunk. Like a bun. Keep practicing. It took me forever to get this right. After a while you'll be a pro and you won't even see the rubberband. I'll decorate it with combs and pins and things.

I hope these ideas will help you out.

Your 3b truly,
    Peg
    3 a/b, short, auburn
    imagatto2 wrote
    Pull your hair back gently (so that you don't disturb the natural curls) like you're going to put it in a ponytail. Take a rubberband and pull your hair through it halfway, wrap the band around the chunk. Like a bun. Keep practicing. It took me forever to get this right. After a while you'll be a pro and you won't even see the rubberband. I'll decorate it with combs and pins and things.
    Yes, it sounds very nice.
    Do you have some pics of you with this "technique"?
    I would be interested to see it. :wink:
    Corkscrew 3B
  • imagatto2imagatto2 Registered Users Posts: 15
    I will work on getting you pictures definitely! These two do's have been lifesavers for me. They look awesome with naturally curly hair because the curls hide any pins or bands. It comes out different everytime plus the're quick once you get the hang of them. :D

[/img]
    3 a/b, short, auburn
    Great imagatto2, I can't wait to see the pictures!
    It will be nice for me to use as a "rotation" alternative. The tips on plopping, some technical things and putting more product in my hair have really improved my issue but I stay with some days in the week with no time to wash and make the hole routine so it would be nice and fun to use your tips in place of putting my hair in a ponytail that hurts at the end of the day :roll:
    Corkscrew 3B
    Ditto to imagatto's #2 style. I forgot that one. That is hands down the simplest style to do when your hair starts getting puffy. After a while, you won't even need a mirror. I do just the top 1/2 of my hair in the pony, but I do not wrap it around twice. I like to leave it loose and criss cross 2 large bobby pins through the band instead. You cannot see the band or pins at all. It just looks like a loosely piled, soft up-do bun in back. You can adjust the size of the 'bun' by how far you pull the hair through the band: 1/2 way, 1/3 way, etc. And you can use the pins to either flatten the bun, poof it up to your liking. Unfortunately, I have no pix of the back of my head to show this.
    3B, bra-strap length
    About plopping (since it helps to avoid hair falling in the face).
    The last times I plopped, I noticed that my roots were very nice for the front part but flat for the rest and like "turned" in a weird way (tough to explain).
    I followed the explanations of the famous link about plopping but the fact of attaching the 2 sides of the towel more in the low part than the front part is not a success for me.
    Do some of you have a modified technique for plopping?
    I would like to rectify this because the fact of putting the products on soaking wet hair and let it rest in the towel is great so it is a success for me, except for the way of putting the hair in the towel.

In the description it shows that you separate the hair in 2 sections also. I don't find it easy.

OK. Long pos t again!
    So, to resume:
      how to avoid that some of my roots stays flat on the scalp when plopping is it necessary to separate the hair in 2 sections?
    Corkscrew 3B
    :?: No, you don't need to separate the hair into 2 sections -- it's the towel itself you are twisting the two sides of to make the towel tight to your head. The hair itself should all be in one big clump right on top of your head, with the curls accordioned (zig zagged) and compressed. You don't want to divide your hair into parts. You also don't have to do the twisting with the towel. I find that too hard. I just use on hand,l while bending forward in the shower, to plop my hair into place and hold it there, then wrap a towel turban style around it. The hair is then compressed on top of my head, and not stretched out into the twisted part of the towel.
    3B, bra-strap length

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file