Newbie in need of help with scab hair

gglorygglory Registered Users Posts: 10
HELLO EVERYONE!!! :D

I'm a newbie and a long time lurker of this forum. I was gonna wait until I got my Fotki account started before I posted but since I'm so busy with work (among other things) there isn't any telling when that's going to be. Beside I'm in need of advice now!! You see I think I've got this scab hair that's driving me mad! :evil: Basically my whole head. My new growth is finally coming in soft and smooth. Thing is, don't know if I can wait until it grows out so I'm thinking about texturizing the scab hair just so I can manage it better. Has anyone every had scab hair or hear of anyone texturizing it for manageability?

All comments accepted! :D

Comments

• Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Registered Users Posts: 786
    Hello and welcome!! As far as scab hair goes, i've heard its best to extra deep condtion, and really keep it moisturized. I also hear that scarb hair is only temporary, so i dont suggest you get a texurizer. Im assuming you want to get away from chemicals but also texturizers can be unpredictable. I think you should take advantage of all hte great info here before you go that route. Keep us posted!
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • CanocurlsCanocurls Registered Users Posts: 170
    Welcome!
    Try a deep treatment with coconut oil/coconut milk mix. Condition with Suave Coconut conditioner. You might also want to try Jamaican mango and lime Cactus leave-in too.
    I hope that this helps. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Remember Rosa
    Type: 3/4
  • gglorygglory Registered Users Posts: 10
    Thanks so much for your replies. Yes I do want to stay away from chemical but felt I had no other opinion because the hair is so hard to manage. I difinitely want to try the coconut milk thing as soon as I can find some. I bought the texturizier but will be putting it in storage (I probably will give it away!)

Thanks again guys! :D
  • mloramlora Registered Users Posts: 17
    Hi and welcome,

Yes, I also had my fair share of scab hair and it drove me insane too. I definitely wouldn't do the texturizer. I think it would cause more harm than good. With my scab hair, nothing really penetrated it and it was unpredictable. I basically made sure it was very moisturized and tried many hairstyles that would hide it or blend it in with the rest of my hair. I think braiding it wet at nights seemed to help the most if I remember correctly. I also used a small curling iron when I got really desperate. Anyway, there were a few posts on the transition board (a long while ago) dealing with scab hair. You may find more suggestions there too.
    HTH!
    3b/c
  • DelmaDelma Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    hey ladies, could you guys please tell me what is scab hair? Sorry if this is a stupid question

Hi,
    Scab hair comes about when someone relaxes there hair for a long period of time and/or during that time the relaxer was applied directly on the scab. At least I think that's the definition. I'm not quite sure. I know when my hair was relaxed, the relaxer was sometimes applied directly to the scab and I consequently suffered chemical burns. Once my mom told me that she had scheduled an appointment for me to get my hair done (relaxed). Problem was I had just washed my hair. I really wanted my hair done so instead of me waiting a few day before I relaxed I went that same day (listened to the devil :twisted: ). Very very big mistake. It felt like my scalp was on Fire!! :shock: That resulted in a major chemical burn and almost my whole scalp was covered in a scab. Needless to say I think this incident and other burns are the cause of my scab hair.
    HTH

Thanks
    I'm gonna have to try the transition forum. Does anyone know where to get coconut milk?
  • susususu Registered Users Posts: 767 Curl Connoisseur
    I think you can find coconut milk at most major supermarkets or an Asian market. I usually find mine in the ethnic section of the supermarket, with the Thai products.
  • DelmaDelma Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Thanks for explaining that,wow :shock: that sounds awful , makes me wonder why people relax their hair, no judgement or anything that just sounds painful . As far as coconut milk you can get that in the asian section of any grocery store.

• LipGlassHoneyLipGlassHoney Registered Users Posts: 230
    I relaxed for years and never had scab hair once I went natural but I'm wondering how much of your hair is scab hair? I wouldn't texturize. I was thinking maybe you could just cut it off.
    Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
    Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
    Hey lipglass!

You know, funny that you mentioned that because I was thinking the same thing. However I don't think that I would look as cute as you do with a twa (have to cut most of my hair to get off the scab hair) so I'm thinking about getting kinky twist and letting it grow out some more.
    The whole scab hair thing really puzzles me. The first time I went natural I don't remember having this problem. Even this time the ends are a bit softer than the middle and the roots are very soft. Dunno, maybe hormone? Scab hair? Not enough vitamins? I just dunno.
    You know what? I'm gonna give myself a mini chop. Wish me luck! :wink:
  • LipGlassHoneyLipGlassHoney Registered Users Posts: 230
    gglory wrote:
    Hey lipglass!

You know, funny that you mentioned that because I was thinking the same thing. However I don't think that I would look as cute as you do with a twa (have to cut most of my hair to get off the scab hair) so I'm thinking about getting kinky twist and letting it grow out some more.
    The whole scab hair thing really puzzles me. The first time I went natural I don't remember having this problem. Even this time the ends are a bit softer than the middle and the roots are very soft. Dunno, maybe hormone? Scab hair? Not enough vitamins? I just dunno.
    You know what? I'm gonna give myself a mini chop. Wish me luck! :wink:
    Best wishes with that mini cut! I never thought I would look right with a TWA either because I had really long hair my whole life. After I did it I really did like it.
    Black and Puerto Rican 3c Natural since '95 (15). Growing hair to waist. PJ and Certified MAC JUNKIE and a freakin' DEMOCRAT!!! Visit my other page @ www.myspace.com/LipGlassHoney
    Me @ 6 mos. looking just like my son
  • OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
    To my understanding, scab hair happens as a result of long term relaxing, and your hair grows out damaged. It is not related to relaxer scabs. The hair is hard, resists moisture at all costs, and does not define (and your hair would normally define). I have read that someone experienced scab hair for as long as 18 months, and then her hair started growing out as it should.
    The poster formerly known as JCrysy
    :::::::::::::::::
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier
  • OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
    Sorry folks!!!
    The poster formerly known as JCrysy
    :::::::::::::::::
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file