CurlTalk

Has anyone tried a silkener-like the ones Ms. Jessie's does?

crocketpcrocketp Posts: 30Registered Users
Hey curly ladies! Don't kill me, but after growing out my relaxer and doing the big chop I am missing my straight her styles. I've been wearing my hair straight most of the summer and weaving it. I got tired of the almost daily need to do something to my natural culry hair. I am thinking of putting some chemicals back in, and was thinking about the silkener. From Miss Jesie's website with the silkener you can wear straight styles with less shrinkage and frizz, and you don't lose your natural curl. Has anyone tried it? what was your experience?
:wink:4a I think! Love curls whipped cream, KCKT, & KCCC! BC 4/14/08 /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ffotki.com%2Fprissy1" class="Popup
password: curly

Comments

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    I don't have a silkener but I do have a texturizer. Similar enough thing. I stopped short of transitioning because I wanted to have options with my hair.

But I'm very close to stop texturizing completely because: (1) I very rarely wear it straight anymore (2) When I did straighten it never really looked good. Its always "poofy" (3) The amount of heat took to get my hair straight on top of the chemicals really damaged my hair. The reasons I still texturize is because my hair is very thick (to the point of being unmanageable) and predictablity.

My thoughts are all hair requires maintenance so you have to "do" something whether its straight or curly. It doesn't sound like you like wearing curly hair. Find out what your hair priority is right now: overall hair health, options, etc and make the best choice for yourself.

Good luck!
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • blyss_curlsblyss_curls Posts: 45Registered Users
    crocketp wrote: »
    Hey curly ladies! Don't kill me, but after growing out my relaxer and doing the big chop I am missing my straight her styles. I've been wearing my hair straight most of the summer and weaving it. I got tired of the almost daily need to do something to my natural culry hair. I am thinking of putting some chemicals back in, and was thinking about the silkener. From Miss Jesie's website with the silkener you can wear straight styles with less shrinkage and frizz, and you don't lose your natural curl. Has anyone tried it? what was your experience?

I haven't tried Miss Jessies (I live on a different coast). But I have read plenty of comments from prior clients of theirs. Feedback from various hair boards (including this one years ago), on-line reviews, etc.

My comments are based on what I've read and witnessed as an observer, not on my personal experiences with them.

1. Whatever you pay today for the silkener, probably wouldn't be what you pay when you return for a touch up. They are infamous for price increases. I'm not talking about small percent increases, but hefty raises in rates. It's my understanding that this is the one constant with this particular business.

2. I understand the sisters have had many ups and downs, in the course of running a business. Such is life and it's a completely expected part of being independent business owners.

I'm not trying to bash or belittle anyone here. But if I had to decide whether or not to obtain services (even a hair cut) with them, I would not.

At least twice that I'm aware of, their salon has gone on hiatus and left clients high and dry--with no notice, no where to go to be serviced. Just my opinion, but I feel clients deserve better than finding out on-line (or from anyone other than their stylist) that the salon isn't available--and won't be for months on end.

I mention these things as you should be aware of them before you make a commitment to obtaining hair care services (particularly chemical services) with this salon, and these stylists. Totally fyi.

Good luck on making a decision, either way! :wink:
  • crocketpcrocketp Posts: 30Registered Users

I haven't tried Miss Jessies (I live on a different coast). But I have read plenty of comments from prior clients of theirs. Feedback from various hair boards (including this one years ago), on-line reviews, etc.

My comments are based on what I've read and witnessed as an observer, not on my personal experiences with them.

1. Whatever you pay today for the silkener, probably wouldn't be what you pay when you return for a touch up. They are infamous for price increases. I'm not talking about small percent increases, but hefty raises in rates. It's my understanding that this is the one constant with this particular business.

2. I understand the sisters have had many ups and downs, in the course of running a business. Such is life and it's a completely expected part of being independent business owners.

I'm not trying to bash or belittle anyone here. But if I had to decide whether or not to obtain services (even a hair cut) with them, I would not.

At least twice that I'm aware of, their salon has gone on hiatus and left clients high and dry--with no notice, no where to go to be serviced. Just my opinion, but I feel clients deserve better than finding out on-line (or from anyone other than their stylist) that the salon isn't available--and won't be for months on end.

I mention these things as you should be aware of them before you make a commitment to obtaining hair care services (particularly chemical services) with this salon, and these stylists. Totally fyi.

Good luck on making a decision, either way! :wink:

Thanks, I had visisted their site many times while they were on "hiatus". I don't live in NY, but had considered going for a long weekend and having it done especially if I only nee to do this 3 or4 times a year. There is a local salon near me that offers the service. I just wanted some feedback from others who may have tried it and how they liked it. I've been told that a texturizer and silkener are not the same. What gives? When I decided to go natural I had a feeling that when it was all said and done I would end up some where btw natural and some "type" of mild relaxer....
    :wink:4a I think! Love curls whipped cream, KCKT, & KCCC! BC 4/14/08 /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ffotki.com%2Fprissy1" class="Popup
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I recently read on LHCF that a silkener at Miss Jessie's is... you ready?.... $600! :sad2:

Umm I don't think so...

If anything get a texturizer. I can't imagine what a touch-up would be at that place.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• lovingmycurls01lovingmycurls01 Posts: 219Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I recently read on LHCF that a silkener at Miss Jessie's is... you ready?.... $600! :sad2:

Umm I don't think so...

If anything get a texturizer. I can't imagine what a touch-up would be at that place.

WOW!!! $600 bucks. not worth it.
    Big Chop OCT 2008

Products:

IC Fantasia Gel/ mixed with olive oil ( I put it in myself)
    H20 spritzes
    Karens Body Beautiful Hair Milk
    Jamaican black castor oil
    DevaCare One Condition
    DevaCare No Poo
    DeVaCurl Heaven In Hair
    KBB Hair Milk
    KBB Hair Butter

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flovingmycurls01%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Flovingmycurls01" class="Popup

I'm learning so much from you naturally curly ladies. Thanks so much.
  • vkb247vkb247 Posts: 266Registered Users
    I don't know why anyone would pay $600 or even $200 to get a silkener.

Please do not believe the hype! From Miss Jessie's website:

WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL USED IN SILKENERS™?
    SODIUM HYDROXIDE.

FYI - Sodium Hydroxide is LYE! I do my own "silkeners" for less than $20 and no matter what people try to say about inconsistent curl patterns and blah blah blah. I really think that key is to take your time.

For some texlaxers this means:

1.Using a mild relaxer and/or doing their hair one section at a time (for real, there is a great thread at BHM (and it was also shared on LHCF) with detailed instructions about doing this - I would add the link but I am at work and can't get on BHM)

2. Other ladies choose to add condition and/or oil and/or protein to their relaxers so that it processes slower giving them time to achieve the look they like.

I personally use only option 2 but some use 1 or a combination of the two. If you know for sure that you have a curl pattern and if you are familiar with how your hair responds to chemicals, and especially if you have self relaxed in the past then you should have no problem doing it on your own or even telling your hairstylist how to do it for you. Please pm if you would like to talk more about this. Please do not let someone charge you a lot of money for something that is really simple.

BTW: I prefer lye relaxers because they are less drying and they don't straigten as easily as no-lye does. Your hair will generally look straighter with the relaxer in, weighing it down, than it will once you are done with the process. I think that it is personally better to straighten less than you think you may want because you can always do a corrective and make it straighter but once its too straight......
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • vkb247vkb247 Posts: 266Registered Users
    I just wanted to say that I think that the main reason that texturizing has a bad rep is because people don't really know what they are doing (stylist included) when they texturize. Miss Jessie's takes advantage of this and people's ignorance about curly hair care.

Feel free to disagree with me but what really is the difference between a texturizer or a silkener or a mild relaxer? Unless it is no lye, then they are all using the same straightening ingredient so they are the same.

I remember one hair board actually said that Miss Jessie's uses a particular relaxer. I think it was design essentials...
    Ayurveda Addict:love5:
    I Henna, Cowashing, Poo bars, KCCC, Eco Styler, Oils & Oil Rinsing and Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier:blob3:
    Always Playing with Herbs or Making Products
    :occasion7:Texlaxed <-- Click 4 Pics
  • msjaimmsjaim Posts: 948Registered Users
    WTF? $600.. good lord!

Umm I don't think so...

OMG that is insane!!! That's a house note,rent payment, etc......
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

Get your priorities straight woman.. that's 3 months worth of hair products!! :sign5: Or 2 Coach bags! 600 Wendy's fries LOL
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    vkb247 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say that I think that the main reason that texturizing has a bad rep is because people don't really know what they are doing (stylist included) when they texturize. Miss Jessie's takes advantage of this and people's ignorance about curly hair care.

Feel free to disagree with me but what really is the difference between a texturizer or a silkener or a mild relaxer? Unless it is no lye, then they are all using the same straightening ingredient so they are the same.

I remember one hair board actually said that Miss Jessie's uses a particular relaxer. I think it was design essentials...

Girl a silkener at miss jessies ain't nothing but....

Miziani perm + oil+ conditioner

That's it. They add the oil and conditioner to slow the processing time and they apply it in sections. **** you can do that at home for less than $20 like someone else stated. Not to mention, a LOT of the ladies on the website look like wet puppies (thier hair)....some of it is so limp and lifeless looking compaired to the before pics.

I for the life of me don't know why with all the information about what thier silkener is, folks still are willing to shell out $600 a perm.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    wow!
    I knew it was expensive but are they dipping the stuff in gold before applying it? Damn!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • va_candiva_candi Posts: 849Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

Get your priorities straight woman.. that's 3 months worth of hair products!! :sign5: Or 2 Coach bags! 600 Wendy's fries LOL

LOL @ 600 Wendy's fries. You had me at 2 Coach bags!
    You curlies are toooo funny! I lmao right now! Anyway, I loved me some Mizani back in the day when I relaxed my hair...but it did make my hair bone straight!
  • cloudycococloudycoco Posts: 1Registered Users
    I don't know why anyone would pay $600 or even $200 to get a silkener.

Please do not believe the hype! From Miss Jessie's website:

WHAT IS THE CHEMICAL USED IN SILKENERS™?
    SODIUM HYDROXIDE.

FYI - Sodium Hydroxide is LYE! I do my own "silkeners" for less than $20 and no matter what people try to say about inconsistent curl patterns and blah blah blah. I really think that key is to take your time.

For some texlaxers this means:

1.Using a mild relaxer and/or doing their hair one section at a time (for real, there is a great thread at BHM (and it was also shared on LHCF) with detailed instructions about doing this - I would add the link but I am at work and can't get on BHM)

2. Other ladies choose to add condition and/or oil and/or protein to their relaxers so that it processes slower giving them time to achieve the look they like.

I personally use only option 2 but some use 1 or a combination of the two. If you know for sure that you have a curl pattern and if you are familiar with how your hair responds to chemicals, and especially if you have self relaxed in the past then you should have no problem doing it on your own or even telling your hairstylist how to do it for you. Please pm if you would like to talk more about this. Please do not let someone charge you a lot of money for something that is really simple.

BTW: I prefer lye relaxers because they are less drying and they don't straigten as easily as no-lye does. Your hair will generally look straighter with the relaxer in, weighing it down, than it will once you are done with the process. I think that it is personally better to straighten less than you think you may want because you can always do a corrective and make it straighter but once its too straight......

what is LHCF and BHM???

Oh and your hair looks beautiful....i have different hair textures through out my hair from 3a-4c do you have any recommendations on how i can avoid over silkening my less curly/kinky hair.
  • mojitochicamojitochica Posts: 136Registered Users
    cloudycoco wrote: »
    what is LHCF and BHM???

LHCF = Long Hair Care Forum, the one that makes you pay to post.

BHM = Black Hair Media
    event.png
    My fotki
    Hair type: normal, thick, highly porous, low elasticity
    Current products: castor oil and water
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

LOL! I was nodding along until that part and then I just fell out my chair.

If I paid 600 dollars for that, it better like an everlasting gobstopper and never need to be bought again.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • guccicooguccicoo Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi, I was considering getting a Silkener but I agree with everyone $600.00 is CRAZY. My problem is that I am not, repeat NOT a hair person. I have been wearing my hair straight but with a curly weave so that it can grow out enough for me to cut it and texturize it again.

I look forward to talking to everyone on here and learning all I can about caring for my curly hair!
  • LittleTortillaLittleTortilla Posts: 6Registered Users
    I did not get a silkener when I went and they didn't even mention a silkener to me when I visited their salon until I asked about it. It was a few years ago but the sign said it started at $225 and that included the angle and balance hair cut. In fact Miko suggested that I only shingle my hair for special occasions because she admitted for the amount of hair I have their processes would take a long time and a lot of product. Which to me sounded even more like a candidate for silkener but she still told me that it was an option but really thought I should experience shingling first.

I don't know....I wouldn't do my own chemical services period. It's hard enough for me to flat iron on my own hair. I could just imagine being in the shower and having a neutralizer run into my eye nope....nope, lol.

I thought they did a good job shingling my hair but I wouldn't pay those prices because I just don't care about my hair all that much.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Let's start with 4a/4b for a ball park!
  • CoilyParisienneCoilyParisienne Posts: 28Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

That price is one of the main reasons my attempt to go natural fell through twice, over the past ten years. I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but in NYC in particular, going to natural haircare salons meant getting ripped off. It was just cheaper for me to get a relaxer and pay 15 dollars a pop for an AMAZING style each/every other weekend.

Forums like this one and others and the amazing support and advice that I've received from fellow naturals is what fostered my third and final try at going natural (successfully). Without these forums, I don't believe I would have been able to get through the transition, final chop, or maintenance. These forums made it possible for me to go natural without having to spend hundreds of dollars to style or maintain it.

It frustrates me that these companies want our business, but they also think they can rip off brown clients, in particular (their main consumer base). There is simply no excuse for a 600 price tag.

And being brown doesn't exempt you from criticism, either. Just in case anyone tries to take issue with my critiquing a Black business. They are subject to the same standards and expectations as any other business I frequent with my hard-earned dollars and loyalty.

I sincerely hope that 600 price tag is just a rumor.
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

That price is one of the main reasons my attempt to go natural fell through twice, over the past ten years. I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but in NYC in particular, going to natural haircare salons meant getting ripped off. It was just cheaper for me to get a relaxer and pay 15 dollars a pop for an AMAZING style each/every other weekend.

Forums like this one and others and the amazing support and advice that I've received from fellow naturals is what fostered my third and final try at going natural (successfully). Without these forums, I don't believe I would have been able to get through the transition, final chop, or maintenance. These forums made it possible for me to go natural without having to spend hundreds of dollars to style or maintain it.

It frustrates me that these companies want our business, but they also think they can rip off brown clients, in particular (their main consumer base). There is simply no excuse for a 600 price tag.

And being brown doesn't exempt you from criticism, either. Just in case anyone tries to take issue with my critiquing a Black business. They are subject to the same standards and expectations as any other business I frequent with my hard-earned dollars and loyalty.

I'm with you there, CoilyParisienne.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users

Umm I don't think so...

I'm with you there, CoilyParisienne.
    me too
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    I'll admit, when I first decided to go natural, Miss Jessie's site is what pushed me into it. I thought it was gorgeous and I wanted my hair to be just like the pics. I shelled out $130 for the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink] and Buttercreme and while they both are good products, I find that a mix of very cheap products can give you the same effect or better. I love the way there products smell but after looking and reading reviews, there products aren't all its cracked up to be. I mean when you go to the site and they say $75 just to look at your hair and tell you your hair type, you should know the prices are only going to get worse. After I cut my hair again and do my first henna, I'm going to try my own version of shingling without there products and see if I can get the effect I want.

$600 is damn ridiculous especially in this economy. I'm complaining about $10 products and they want to charge me $600 for a chemical deep condition...ugh no thanks.

I complain about my hair all day but I'll keep my money and keep complaining until I get it right....

$600 is a lot of henna...lol. Girl go get a nice trim and start hennaing, I've heard great things about that.
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    No no no....not a chemical deep condition....the silkner is a straight up PERM.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • drawmuhfreedrawmuhfree Posts: 402Registered Users
    I never considered a chemical treatment for myself for multiple reasons, but I used to frequent the before and after shots of Miss Jessie's prior to finding websites like this.

I am a pretty frugal chick which is why I started doing a lot of personal grooming and care items myself. It only took ONE time...I got my hair braided and HATED the results and still had to fork over $100 plus dollars. I simply can not IMAGINE paying $600 for a hair service. I mean even if I LOVED the outcome I would still be butt hurt because their "touch ups" cost as much as the initial treatment!
    comic-p.jpg

"[My hair and I] are in an unhealthy relationship and I am the abuser."
    --MissKinkyCoily

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fdrawmuhfree%2F" class="Popup
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    1st, I know this thread is ancient, but I had to comment.

Umm I don't think so...

I was LMAO @ this comment! I shop @ the outlets so I might be able to get 4 Coach bags for $600! LOL

Girl a silkener at miss jessies ain't nothing but....

Miziani perm + oil+ conditioner

That's it. They add the oil and conditioner to slow the processing time and they apply it in sections. **** you can do that at home for less than $20 like someone else stated. Not to mention, a LOT of the ladies on the website look like wet puppies (thier hair)....some of it is so limp and lifeless looking compaired to the before pics.

I for the life of me don't know why with all the information about what thier silkener is, folks still are willing to shell out $600 a perm.

That is so true. I haven't even broken down to buy any of their products because of hair boards like this one - providing the real info about the products!
    va_candi wrote: »

LOL @ 600 Wendy's fries. You had me at 2 Coach bags!

Umm I don't think so...

Me too, but I don't think so. I have read other people say that the price of their services are very expensive. What a shame, because some of the b4 & after pics do look nice......oh well.......:hiding:
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
  • sobecurlsobecurl Posts: 313Registered Users
    I used to use Miss Jessie's products many moons before I found this site and other natural hair care sites.

Honestly, I wouldnt be surprised if the "silkener" (aka relaxer) cost $600. I mean you are paying $120 for two containers of product alone so it would make sense for a chemical service with one of their stylists to be that expensive.

Personally, I'm not intersted in any silkener/relaxer/texturizer for my hair. I think I would try henna before I shell out all that money.
    Over 10 years natural and still growing...
  • laz22girllaz22girl Posts: 91Registered Users
    Miss Jessie's is expensive...I called and for a cut it was going to be 300.00:banghead:
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Posts: 662Registered Users
    laz22girl wrote: »
    Miss Jessie's is expensive...I called and for a cut it was going to be 300.00:banghead:

:goofy: :eek: :goofy: Daaayum! Are you serious? For a haircut? Those people are stone crazy! :tongue3:
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
    Well thanks for the responses ladies! I thought I would give you all an update!

Well I still have not had a texturizer/silkener/relaxer. By wearing the weave i was able to put off chemicals for a little while longer and keep my hands out of my hair :angel5:

Please bear in mind that stylists who perform the silkener service in other states do not charge what Miss Jessie's charges lol! so I had no intention of paying $600 for the service.

As my natural hair gets longer, and I work with it more and more, I am almost positive that I will put a small amount of silkener/texturizer in it. I am still in a wait and see pattern with my hair. But so far it looks as though this is what I will do. My hair is two completely different textures, and this will help to even it out I think. FYI, when I was a little girl, my mother would put a mild relaxer in her hair only a for a couple of minutes, a couple times a year and twist her hair into bantu knots, and then take them down once they were dry. Her hair was mid back length. Again, I had a feeling when I started this natural hair journey, that I would probably end up doing this very same thing.