Just combed and....

canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
just discovered that my hair is so much thicker or even spongier on top than on bottom. weird.. about a 4a on top and front. then 3b or even 3a everywhere else. just combed my hair in the shower and it has grown alot enough to tie it all in one bun. just sharing anyone else ?
Hair type: mix of everything but bushy
"Do not brush curly hair, it makes it look like bad scribbles"
my 5 year old curly haired girl, now a teen

Comments

• curlynikkicurlynikki Registered Users Posts: 2,420 Curl Neophyte
    Same here (except I'm more like 4a on top and fine 3c on the ends). My hair is extremely spongy and thick on top...as it gets to mid strand and the ends, the curls are looser...it seems like 2 different textures (cottony then silkier). wierd. I thought it was just me. I find myself fluffing the hell out of the bottom half of my hair just to make it look evenly full.
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Registered Users Posts: 4,151 Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry for guanoing this thread but, CurlyNikki, I LOVE your Sebastian 9 pics! Gorgeous! The pics show your texture/curl pattern much better than your other ones.

But back to the original post.................My hair is thicker/tighter(cottony/spongy) around my ears, appears thinner in the crown(not as thick and looser in curl pattern), and medium textured in the back with curls that sometimes range from s-waves to pen sized corkscrews to sharpie sized s-wave/corkscrews. :)

I think it's pretty normal. I have yet to find ANYONE with one consistent "type" of hair. It's always a mixture. I guess it's a good thing because it always keeps things interesting. :wink::)
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    :oops: Thanx!
  • kandesnbkandesnb Registered Users Posts: 161
    Another GUAAANOOOO!!!

CurlyNikki....the hair. It's amazing girl. It is big and gorgeous!!! I must say you make me want to try to Sebastian Potion 9. I use Sebastian Wet gel and have had GREAT results wiht it but I think I want to try this Potion 9 too. My hair is cut in layers and I am hoping that once the top layer grows longer, it will hang similar to yours.

Moving on....I have 3 different textures in my head. I have a few tight 4a corkscrews at my nape and edges. And like you, my curls loosen towards the ends. It's like I have tight 3c curls at the root that loosen to loose 3c or tight 3b curls towards the ends. The curls are more ringlets and spirals rather than corkscrews. And my canopy? I don't know what type it is. It waves instead of curls and it gets frizzy THE most. It's soft all over, but I think that has to do with my regular routine.

BTW...another guano...what is your routine? The picture of your ends soaking wet looks extremely similar to mine when it's wet.
    Yooooo! ;-) Coily and Springy 3c!
    Major PJ! Redken All Soft Conditioner & Biosilk Silk Therapy are my favorites!!

http://www.fotki.com/kandesnb
    www.myspace.com/sillybyrd

Relaxer free since Sep. 2003!
  • AfroCurlsAfroCurls Registered Users Posts: 117
    Cosigning with the other posters! Your hair is beautiful, Curly Nikki!

To answer the OP, my hair is a combination of some of everything. Some strands are an extremely loose curl pattern while strands two inches over could be considered 4A, they draw up so tight. Those coils are the size of coffee stirrers.

The sides are the regular 3C curls, the top is a little looser, and the center of my head is extremely thick and it's the hardest spot for me to get to.

But I love my curls and wouldn't trade em for anything! :D
    Fotki PW: PM me for it!
    Big Chopped: April 1, 2005
    My Hair: Tight, thick springy curls with up to 90% shrinkage.
  • canelacanela Registered Users Posts: 218
    I used to love potion #9 it was great but all of sudden it stopped working and it caused my hair to be supper Frizzy and hard. You know curly hair...maybe it will like it again so I will try it this week. :roll:
    curly nikki your hair is gorgeous! My hair is so thick It will not separate that much if any, my hair it is always in big clumps but up in the air. Never goes down although it is about the lenght of your hair now. any suggestions how to calm it down a bit so I can show my lenght from time to time? Also, my curls are never really ringlets but more like an s. weird hair
    I'm not really sure :oops: My hair, as it is today, is the product of a lot of trial and error (and lurking on Naturally Curly 24/7). My hair was an undefined fro for a year, because I was using the wrong products and techniques. I use to do twist-outs on my hair (tiny twists...) to get the same effect as the current pictures. It would take 4 hours to do and the style would get frizzy quick. All of a sudden, my hair just started cooperating and now it curls on its on...I guess I trained it? I co/wash everyday and with the sebastians and GSCC I get consecutive good hair days... I finally feel like I'm in control of my hair.

As far as taming it...to get my hair to lay right, in the very back, I sometimes use an air concentrator and blast warm air at the roots to relax the curl a bit. Also, while drying, I use a clip to pull all my hair to the bottom of my head (top of neck) to stretch it out a bit. then I let it loose and diffuse until completely dry. To define my curls, I've learned that they have to have a little crunch to them when they first dry...that's how I know they're set and won't frizz. Then I scrunch the any crunch out (which is usually just more of a stiff feeling from the GSCC) and fluff until it looks big :) I loooove big hair.

I hope that makes sense...

Thanx for all the compliments guys! :)
  • Curlee QCurlee Q Registered Users Posts: 523
    What exactly is Sebastian 9, is it a leave in and what are the ingredients?
    http://www.youtube.com/Kittykat1374

natural since 6/05
  • susususu Registered Users Posts: 767 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm multitextured too - I think my hair may range from 3b to 4b. Bottom layer is a silky 3b or 3b/c, sides are 3c, middle section is tight 4a coils, hairline is kinky, canopy is wavy/frizzy, and then there are some looser, more brittle waves/curls in the front (my "bangs"). I think it's pretty common for curlies to have a wide range of textures.
    curlniki- I been doing finger curls I do not think they are the same as twist outs but that is the way I been handeling my hair now, but like you said it takes a long time. So I am looking forward to the time my hair finally gets trained :D
    Canela- I finger curl sometimes, if my curls get frizzy during the day. It works wonders....but since my hair is in actuality thin, finger curls all around, makes my hair look flat. So I use them to accentuate the other curls...if that makes sense.
    Curlee Q wrote:
    What exactly is Sebastian 9, is it a leave in and what are the ingredients?

Sebastian 9 is a leave-in. Here's what the package label says:

What's on your body...the most comfortable thing you own. What's in your hair...Potion 9 wearable treatment. It makes your hair comfortable, lived in. Stylish. The only wearable treatment with nine ingredients to help repair damaged hair while building in style. Anytime. Anywhere. Anybody. Pure magic.

Ingredients:

Water (aqua), Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Stearalkonium Chloride, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, PVP, Trimethylsilyamodimethicone, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Hydrolized Silk, Cetyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth 10, Octyl Methoxycinnamate, Panthenol, Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Safflower Oil (Carthamus Tinctorius), Macadamia Ternifolia Nut Oil, Babassu Oil (Orbignya Oleifera), Borage Seed Oil (Borago Officinalis), Evening Primrose Oil (Oenothera Biennis), Dog Rose Hips Oil ((Rosa Canina)), Propylene Glycol, Caprilic/Capric Triglyceride, All Spice Extract (Pimenta Dioica), Lemongrass Extract ((cymbopogon schoenanthus)), Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid, Fragrance (parfum), Annatto (CI 75120), Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), D&C Orange 4 (CI 15510), FD&C Red 40 (CI 16035)

I've been using it for 6 months now with no problems. My hair feels softer and much more moisturized. It also has a light-medium hold...so it acts as a styling product as well. I use the cheaper Generic version from Sally's and I've found that it works just as well as the real thing.
    sorry, double post :)
    Curlniki yea it makes sense that your hair would get straight. But this is the only way to manipulate my hair into coming down from its current up state.
    Triple post :( but I'll answer the consistency question here:

First of all, it's orange...so that may put you off at first. It's like a watery creme to me. Very easy to apply. I make sure my hair is saturated so that I don't get any frizzy pieces. Oh, and the Sally's version is only 4.99 compared to 13.99 at other stores.
    Thanks curlynikki, it sounds very intersting. I think I will try it. What is the consitency like. Is it thick or more liquidty.

natural since 6/05
    You'll love it! I work at Sally's (when I'm not in school), spreading the "good news" about natural hair. I always recommend Sebastian's and all the curlies love it! They always come back and thank me and buy more. :D I also tell them about this fabulous site!
    I read earlier on the post that Kandes...I think, likes Sebastian Wet. I tried it for the first time last week, and I love it! I layer it over the Potion 9 and I get a pretty good hold for humid weather. it's easier to apply than GSCC, but gives me about the same results. Just thought I'd share :)
  • kandesnbkandesnb Registered Users Posts: 161
    Yes Curlynikki...the Sebastian Wet gel is great. I provides great hold and shine and it is easier to apply the GSCC. I love my curl cream but, the gel is easier to apply and is more concentrated. Also, the one that I use is the generic brand from Sallys. I'm going to buy the Potion 9 today when I get off of work. I'll post my results tomorrow.

;-)
    Yooooo! ;-) Coily and Springy 3c!
    Major PJ! Redken All Soft Conditioner & Biosilk Silk Therapy are my favorites!!

http://www.fotki.com/kandesnb
    www.myspace.com/sillybyrd

Relaxer free since Sep. 2003!
    Now yall know you can't talk about a good product with raging product junkies like myself browsing the board.

Yeah I bought some Generic Sebastian's from Sally's today. :lol:
    Everyone has to let me know the results and take pics :D

natural since 6/05
  • babyphat21babyphat21 Registered Users Posts: 124
    AfroCurls wrote:
    Now yall know you can't talk about a good product with raging product junkies like myself browsing the board.

Yeah I bought some Generic Sebastian's from Sally's today. :lol:

LOL I'm just rackin up names of products in my head. I need to stop!!! :lol::lol:
    SUPER THICK 3C zig-zags, blackish with random natural brown/red highlights. Searching for my exact heritage, 'cause I don't have a clue...
    I'm so sorry to Guano this thread for the third time...

BUT OH MY GOD THIS SEBASTIAN STUFF IS INCREDIBLE!

I no-poo'd with V05 Conditioner, put in the Generic Sebastian Potion 9 and then did the Garnier Fructic Soft Curl Creme....AMAZINGNESS!

I may have just found my holy grail products! :D

The ONLY thing is I think I did product overload cause some parts of my hair were white (LOL). But otherwise...I'M IN LOVE with this stuff! We'll see how it looks when it dries but right now this stuff is FABULOUS!

Thank you Curly Nikki!
    Yay! :D It's my HG too. I'm happy I could be of service, lol.
    kandesnb wrote:
    Yes Curlynikki...the Sebastian Wet gel is great. I provides great hold and shine and it is easier to apply the GSCC. I love my curl cream but, the gel is easier to apply and is more concentrated. Also, the one that I use is the generic brand from Sallys. I'm going to buy the Potion 9 today when I get off of work. I'll post my results tomorrow.

;-)

Kandesnb, how do you apply the Sebastian Wet? As in, how much do you use on each section??
    Now you all make want to buy this.

Afrocurls, how did it turned out once it dried? Let me know if you got 2nd day hair.
    Once it dried, it pretty much held the shape of the curls. I have HELLA shrinkage so it didn't hang like it did when it was wet, but I didn't lose any curl definition. My hair isn't crunchy at all and it feels amazing!

I didn't have second day hair, but then again, I sleep hella wild and all I do is tie a scarf on at night. I've never had second day hair with any product I've used, though.
    I just got potion 9 in sally's (generic) also though I try paul mitchell the cream anyone tried this one?
    I've been thinking of buying PM The Cream...but the bottle is so much smaller and I think it's a dollar more than the Sebastian, lol, I'm cheap :) But let me know your results and I'll definitely pick some up.
    curlnicki-you know your prices! yeah it is one dollar more. :D Will wash tonigh will report tomorrow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file