Coconut Milk - What Exactly Does It Do For Our Hair?

msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
Does it soften and moisturize or soften and detangle? Or both? And if you use coconut milk do you get it from a grocery store or do you buy a product that already has coconut milk in it?
"It moisturizes my situation... preserves my sexy."

Comments

• susususu Registered Users Posts: 767 Curl Connoisseur
    For me, coconut milk detangles, softens and adds shine. I've only used it 2 or 3 times - need to do it more often!
  • divinecoilsdivinecoils Registered Users Posts: 4
    I've used it mixed with honey and conditioner and also just with honey. The mixtures made my curls more defined and my hair soft. I buy my coconut milk from an Asian supermarket for about 90 cents a can. If you put it in the fridge, it will thicken to a cream cheese-like consitency.

Hope this helps.
    When I discover who I am, I'll be free.
    Ralph Ellison

Never be afraid to sit awhile and think.
    Lorraine Hansberry
  • msjokermsjoker Registered Users Posts: 1,658
    Thanks girls! Do the two of you use it as a leave-in or do you wash it out?
    I've always washed it out. Seems too thick to be left in (sort of coats my hair), but it might be fine mixed into a conditioner. I'll have to try that and get back to you.
  • lalapixielalapixie Registered Users Posts: 242
    this is one of my new favorite ingredient discoveries i think it moisturizes, softens, smooths, and detangles cause its found in the best conditioner i've ever used which is aubrey organics island natural conditioner love love love it, i did try making a leave in with coconut milk but it gets gritty and leaves a film so i think it works best as a deep conditioner
    violently happy
    Thanks Susu and Lalapixie! Just one more question, I swear :lol: So, the other day I saw coconut creme in my local supermarket. Do you know if that is like the same as coconut milk?
  • jazzijenni81jazzijenni81 Registered Users Posts: 529
    I've used it mixed with honey and conditioner and also just with honey. The mixtures made my curls more defined and my hair soft. I buy my coconut milk from an Asian supermarket for about 90 cents a can. If you put it in the fridge, it will thicken to a cream cheese-like consitency.

Hope this helps.
    that sounds so good! will be trying soon :)
    loose 4a, silky meets cottony
    routine: co-wash, add leave in or plain water, shake & go
    staples: elucence poo & conditioners, V05 & suave naturals, jessicurl too shea, AO.
  • AmberWavesAmberWaves Registered Users Posts: 231
    Do you all get coconut milk from specialty supermarkets or health food stores? I can never seem to find it.
    AmberWaves
    3c/4a
    AmberWaves: I usually buy mine at a regular supermarket in the ethnic food section - usually with the Thai products.

Msjoker: I think I've seen the coconut creme, but I've never used it.
    Thanks again Susu! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file