Garden of Wisdom

Pippa8668Pippa8668 Registered Users Posts: 163
Who was it on here that was using GoW products and liking them? They seem to be really into complicated routines on their forum using 10 or 11 products, as opposed to RCW's more streamlined routine recs...

which cleanser's from there were skin-barrier safe? and were their SA products supposedly less active or something? I am intrigued by their website but wary of wasting my money if dy and psf are both superior. they sell HA and those exfoliating crystals so I was thinking if I could get my cleanser and SA from there it would be nice one stop shopping for me.
3b-ish i think
off and on CG-er since 2004
Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget

Comments

• helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in love with GoW products. Yeah, the routine seems complicated but really its just cleanse, exfoliate if necessary, and moisturize.

My current a.m. routine consists of the following: cleanse in the shower with their oj castile cleanser, spritz with a toner out of the shower and either wipe it off or leave it to dry, apply SA and wait 5 min, apply vitamin C, and then moisturize with my water+oil serums mix (HA, antioxidant, oil), and then apply sunscreen. My am routine is cleanse, tone, exfoliate, and moisturize. There really isn't much of a difference from when I was following the RCW PSF or DY routine.

I haven't noticed a difference between the DY, PSF or GoW SA's really. I do notice a difference with the cleansers, however, and find GoW's to be superior. I know I'm in the minority here but I'm not kidding. If the PSF or DY gave me the results I'm getting with GoW, I would have stayed with either line. As it was, I stumbled upon GoW in the midst of my DY and PSF trials and figured trying another line wouldn't hurt. After using the cleanser for a few days, I was hooked. I haven't even opened the full-sized WGC I received after trying the GoW cleanser.

I have samples of all their cleanser and like Jen's green tea/shea, skin friendly cleanser, and both castile cleansers (slight preference for the white cleanser). I have as yet to try the rest of my samples. The only cleansers I wasn't too keen on were the fruity exfo (dried my skin) and the majik azulene.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • Pippa8668Pippa8668 Registered Users Posts: 163
    thanks for the reply, helloitsio! I am in a similar situation I think, where I have tried the PSF routine and its helped a ton but I still think there is room for improvement and maybe they aren't for me.

Did you buy one of their skincare kits? Are all of their cleansers skin barrier safe?

I was thinking of buying one of their cleansers, either the green tea/shea or the white castille, their SA, and something for moisture, though I haven't decided what yet, and go from there. But their starter kits have like 10 or 11 products and I can't tell what is for what or if I am missing something important.
    3b-ish i think
    Products: recently wiped the slate clean and am starting over on the search for HG products on a poor grad student budget
    Pippa8668 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, helloitsio! I am in a similar situation I think, where I have tried the PSF routine and its helped a ton but I still think there is room for improvement and maybe they aren't for me.

Did you buy one of their skincare kits? Are all of their cleansers skin barrier safe?

I was thinking of buying one of their cleansers, either the green tea/shea or the white castille, their SA, and something for moisture, though I haven't decided what yet, and go from there. But their starter kits have like 10 or 11 products and I can't tell what is for what or if I am missing something important.

Well, I'll admit that I splurged with my first order. I'm not saying this is something you should do, especially if you want to try a couple items out before diving headfirst into the GoW world; I just tend to lose control when things sound so yummy. :oops: (And the starter kits weren't available yet!)

In regards to their cleansers being skin barrier safe, I know that RCW "approved" the castile cleansers. The green tea/shea and a couple others have decylpolyglucoside which is a mild surfactant derived from plant sugars. It's like the low-poo version while the castiles are the no-poo. I don't find the low-poo versions to irritate my skin or compromise the skin barrier at all. Jen's cleanser has such good ingreds in it like shea butter, green tea extract and aloe vera gel that I can't imagine it would compromise the skin in any way. However, if I had to choose one cleanser of the the two you mentioned, I'd go with the white castile since it's similar to the PSF (but cleanses better IMO) and you can directly compare the two lines.

In terms of SA, if you're already used to the PSF or DY ones, go with their strongest (5% pH 3.2) or 2nd to it (2% pH 1.9).

As for moisture, I'm currently using a drop or two of my raspberry HA sample, a drop of oat beta glucan liquid, two drops of lipoSoD serum, and 2-3 drops of babassu oil all smushed together. Before I apply this concoction, I spritz with some distilled water; I find that applying it on a damp face helps to retain moisture and mixing the oil with my other water serums allows it to sink in better. I follow up with a 1/2 pea size of their amazing veggie base cream mixed with a couple spritzes of distilled water to make it more fluid.

What starter kit are you thinking of trying? I can break down the use of each item and where it goes in your routine for you if you'd like.

I know a list of 10-11 items seems daunting but a lot of it is really the basics: cleanse, tone, hydrate, moisturize. That's pretty much what I started out with and since my skin improved and I really liked the line, I started to sample more items like their antioxidants and physical exfoliators and such.

Oh thanks for all your help! I was looking at the oily/dehydrated skin kit: which includes the new green tea cleanser (so i am thinking maybe white castille instead), then:

Clarifying Tonic 8 ml
    Lactisen 2%/pH 3.2
    Honeysuckle Hydrosol 8 ml
    Pineapple Fruit Hydrating Mist 8 ml
    GoW Immortelle HA Serum 5 ml
    Kukui Nut Oil CP .25 oz w/dropper
    Camellia Oil CP .25 oz w/dropper
    Veggie Base Cream 5 gr
    Oat Enriched Serum 5 ml

I think my plan is to buy the white castille cleanser, maybe their 5% SA, and their veggie base cream. what else would i need? they don't seem to highly recommend SA on their forums, but i can't really follow all the stuff they talk about there with their hydrosols and their toners and stuff... i was thinking if toner is important i'd do the acv/water toner that the OCM users here sometimes use... but i cant figure out why its necessary. am i missing something? and all the oils and serums in this kit are confusing to me too- what do they all do??? I'm hopeful but lost.
    3b-ish i think
    Oh thanks for all your help! I was looking at the oily/dehydrated skin kit: which includes the new green tea cleanser (so i am thinking maybe white castille instead), then

Clarifying Tonic 8 ml (toner - basically like an ACV toner)
    Lactisen 2%/pH 3.2 (chemical exfoliant - one of GoW's weakest AHAs)
    Honeysuckle Hydrosol 8 ml (hydrater - I use distilled water in the meantime)
    Pineapple Fruit Hydrating Mist 8 ml (toner - I've read on the forums this is good for blackheads and de-gunkifying. I have as yet to try my sample :wink:)
    GoW Immortelle HA Serum 5 ml (hyaluronic acid)
    Kukui Nut Oil CP .25 oz w/dropper (skin oil - lighter than the camellia)
    Camellia Oil CP .25 oz w/dropper (skin oil)
    Veggie Base Cream 5 gr (moisturizer - apply after the water serums and oil to seal in moisture. Some nights I use it and on other nights I use plain old AVG when my skin isn't feeling parched)
    Oat Enriched Serum 5 ml (This is great if your skin is irritated for some reason. This can be added with your water serums in the water+oil mix)

I think my plan is to buy the white castille cleanser, maybe their 5% SA, and their veggie base cream. what else would i need?

If you want to start off with the basics, you’re all set. If you would like to try other items, you could start off with a sample of mandelic acid (It’s an alpha hydroxy acid instead of a beta hydroxyl acid like the salicylic acid, but while it works on the surface of your skin like an AHA should, it keeps to also work within your pores like a BHA. It’s basically a more gentle cousin to glycolic acid, the mother of all AHAs), Vitamin C serum (although you could make one at home like RCW now does http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=49567), or an antioxidant like BLT-RC serum, the concord grape serum, etc.
    they don't seem to highly recommend SA on their forums

It’s true that there isn’t much talk about the SA tonics but some GoW forum members do mention the natural salicylic acid gel and mandelic acid is often brought up. Pretty much they don’t recommend daily exfoliation whether it be physical (scrubs or microfiber cloths) or chemical (AHAs or BHAs). I followed the RCW routine of SA for 30 min daily and thought nothing of it until I noticed some fine lines forming around my mouth (the puppet lines) and underneath my eyes down to mid cheek. I cut down on the wait time for SA significantly (5 min instead of 30) with no detrimental effect. Also, I stopped alternating between AHA and mandelic acid nightly and use a chemical exfoliant every 3rd day or even longer.
    but i can't really follow all the stuff they talk about there with their hydrosols and their toners and stuff... i was thinking if toner is important i'd do the acv/water toner that the OCM users here sometimes use... but i cant figure out why its necessary. am i missing something?
    I've sampled the hydrating mists and currently am using a homemade ACV toner that Jen has mentioned in the forums. It's cheap and it works! I used to think using toner wasn't necessary but since I ordered mist (toner) samples, I figured I may as well try it. I actually sprayed some of the toner on after washing my face with PSF one day and found that not all of my makeup was removed. And I used a facial brush too!! :angry7: I continue to use a toner to ensure that all makeup is removed and that my skin is at the right pH prior to application of SA or other skin goodies.

and all the oils and serums in this kit are confusing to me too- what do they all do??? I'm hopeful but lost.

The HA is a light moisturizer but your skin still needs oil. I have oily skin myself and thought adding oil was ridiculous since I didn't need any more but, counterintuitive though it sounds, it actually helps to regulate oil production. If you're adding a light oil to your skin, your sebum is going to think, "Ok, I've got enough oil moisture on my face so I'll just take a breather and stop producing enough oil to fill a tank."

Here's a routine you could try once you receive the kit:
    - wash
    - spritz with either the clarifying tonic or pineapple mist and allow to dry or swipe off with a cotton round
    - some people apply their water serums separate from the oils but I find mixing it together is much easier. Mix 2-3 drops of HA, 1-2 oat serum, and 2-3 of either one of the oils in one palm; spritz your face with hydrosol (or distilled water); and apply the water serums + oil mix. - take a minimal amount of the veggie base cream (you really don't need a lot) and if it seems too thick for your liking, dilute that little blob with either hydrosol or distilled water. The base cream is the last step; it helps to seal in all the moisture from the water+oil mix.

I hope this helps!

thanks for all your advice! after looking through the pages and pages of goodies, i ended up deciding against the kit and placing an order for sample sizes of the following:

the veggie base cream
    10% mandelic acid (alcohol free... is this better or worse than the with alcohol one?)
    melissa hydrosol
    majick anti-popup blemish gel
    the white castille cleanser and the jen's green tea/shea (couldn't make up my mind so i am going to try both!)

i also have some leftover HA that I ordered earlier and a lot of jojoba oil that i'd rather get through instead of buying something new. i also mixed up the vinegar toner jen recommended on that website using apple cider vinegar. do you have any recommendations for the order/technique of how to apply these products, and wait times- which they also don't seem to address in the forums, although they are much harder to navigate than this forum so i'm sure they talk about it somewhere. sorry for the tons of questions- i'm excited about my order and can't wait to try out the products!
    3b-ish i think
    thanks for all your advice! after looking through the pages and pages of goodies, i ended up deciding against the kit and placing an order for sample sizes of the following:

the veggie base cream (I truly love this cream!)
    10% mandelic acid (alcohol free... is this better or worse than the with alcohol one?)
    melissa hydrosol (I still have as yet to try my sample but it seems to be a forum fave)
    majick anti-popup blemish gel (I’m trying out my sample and really like this! Another favorite is the rosacea serum. I don’t have rosacea but it’s great for keeping the skin clear and for healing too)
    the white castille cleanser and the jen's green tea/shea (couldn't make up my mind so i am going to try both!)
    i also have some leftover HA that I ordered earlier and a lot of jojoba oil that i'd rather get through instead of buying something new. i also mixed up the vinegar toner jen recommended on that website using apple cider vinegar. do you have any recommendations for the order/technique of how to apply these products, and wait times- which they also don't seem to address in the forums, although they are much harder to navigate than this forum so i'm sure they talk about it somewhere. sorry for the tons of questions- i'm excited about my order and can't wait to try out the products!

No problem! I’d love to convert another to GoW since I love them so! :toothy6: The alcohol version of the mandelic acid supposedly allows it to sink in better. I’ve tried both and really have no preference nor have I noticed much of a difference between them. However, the alcohol-free version is good to start out esp if you’ve never used MA before.

The order would be:
    • Cleanse
    • Tone with the ACV toner (no wait time is necessary) and allow to either air dry or wipe off with a cotton round
    • Exfoliate with MA (wait time is 15-20 min)
    • Hydrate with the Melissa: spritz just enough to slightly dampen your face
    • Apply water serums (HA, majik blemish gel) followed by oil
    • OR
    • Mix HA with oil and apply; follow up with majik blemish gel
    • Apply veggie crème (you can dilute with a spritz of Melissa if it’s too thick for your liking)
    Then enjoy your happy skin!

When I started out with the RCW routine, I used jojoba oil and found it to be too thick for my skin. If you’re going to mix it with your HA you really only need a few drops. The water serums and slightly damp skin will help the oil sink in much easier.

Here are some great newbie GoW threads to give you more info:
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=gardenofwisdom&msg=1128.1
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/gardenofwisdom/messages?msg=5144.1

If you scroll to the very bottom of the forum start page there is a wealth of info on others’ routines, the oils, fruit mists, serums and hydrosols.

sounds great :)

no wait times between the hydrate, blemish spot treatment, and moisturizing with the veggie cream? they can all just go right after the other?
    3b-ish i think
    sounds great :)

no wait times between the hydrate, blemish spot treatment, and moisturizing with the veggie cream? they can all just go right after the other?

Yup, no wait times.

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    Reviving this thread. Does anyone have any recent favorite products they are using? Have you purchased something (full-size), used it up and repurchased?

I agree that the ladies on the GoW forum seem to use an abundance of products. Too overwhelming for me.:dontknow:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    i tried few products, but they didn't agree with me.

i have repurchased hydrosols, oils and ayurvedic herbs...none of her made products.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    I've repurchased Jen's green tea/shea cleanser and the castor/castille cleanser. I buy a ton of samples every time I purchase something so I haven't repurchased much. However, I love almost everything I've sampled - oils, hydrosols, creams, treatments, etc.

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I recently re-ordered camellia sinensis and rosehip seed oils for my OCM mixture - roughtly 60 camellia, 10 rosehip, 25 castor oil, 5 baobab. Has anyone used the mandelic acid in lieu of lactic acid for peels?
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    I recently re-ordered camellia sinensis and rosehip seed oils for my OCM mixture - roughtly 60 camellia, 10 rosehip, 25 castor oil, 5 baobab. Has anyone used the mandelic acid in lieu of lactic acid for peels?

I've used their mandelic acid and prefer it over AHA. But I've never tried a lactic acid peel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file