I think I'm a type 2-something.. I need some advice from the experts :p

CurlyGirlLyniaCurlyGirlLynia Posts: 10Registered Users
http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGirlLynn/
password: curlyorwavy

I'm new to this forum (I've visited the site a few times before) and I have a few pictures in my fotki (my hair is a bit wet near the roots). My hair is reallyyyy prone to frizz and fly-aways and it seems like a drop of moisture makes my whole head POOF!

I shampoo with a Suave clarifying shampoo once every week or two and I use Sunsilk's de-frizz conditioner every 2-4 days, depending on the weather and other factors. When I do wash my hair I plop for 40 minutes to an hour.

What do you guys think my hair type is and what advice can some of you other curlies give that will help keep my hair under control?

Thanks
~Lynn

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I agree you're a 2-something - probably a 2B. But with much higher curl potential. :)

Have you considered going CG? Clarifying shampoo is really harsh and Sunsilk is loaded with cones. It is unlikely your hair is getting the moisture it needs to be more frizz-resistant.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • CurlyGirlLyniaCurlyGirlLynia Posts: 10Registered Users
    I have been considering getting rid of shampoo altogether lately, but I would'nt even know where to start with all the different conditioners and hair products there are out there.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I agree that with proper care your curls will spring to life. Here's a site with a list of CG products: http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html
    Here's another that tells about the Curly Girl method: http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair#_ref-0

Usually drugstore products (like Pantene, Sunsilk, and FrizzEase) that are marketed for curly hair actually end up causing dryness and frizz because they are loaded with silicones which coat the hair. They may work for a bit, but often end up making things worse. If you want to try CG, avoid ingredients that end with 'cone, 'conol, and 'xane.
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Posts: 383Registered Users
    Oh, it's easier than you think. It just takes a little digging. I have a list of links to threads that give a lot of good advice. Unfortunately, they're saved on my other PC. When I can, I'll post the links in this thread, but in the meantime, you can take a look here http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html

Good luck! Your hair will love you for going CG!
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
    Thanks for the advice, girls. My mom and I were going to take a little trip to Sally's Beauty Supply this weekend, so this will be the perfect time to start going CG :p. I'll take a look at these links and see what I can do. I hope my hair won't revolt too much when I first stop using shampoo.

Do you think I should use a clarifying shampoo one last time before I start going CG to get all the build up from products and the conditioner out?
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Absolutely! It is necessary for one last shampoo to get rid of any remaining product prior to starting CG. In addition to the posted links, the first sticky in the Going Shampooless forum has information on the CG routine.

Good luck! :D
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyGirlLynn/
    password: curlyorwavy

I'm new to this forum (I've visited the site a few times before) and I have a few pictures in my fotki (my hair is a bit wet near the roots). My hair is reallyyyy prone to frizz and fly-aways and it seems like a drop of moisture makes my whole head POOF!

I shampoo with a Suave clarifying shampoo once every week or two and I use Sunsilk's de-frizz conditioner every 2-4 days, depending on the weather and other factors. When I do wash my hair I plop for 40 minutes to an hour.

What do you guys think my hair type is and what advice can some of you other curlies give that will help keep my hair under control?

Thanks
    ~Lynn
    if you're prone to frizz you might be in the 2C category, it is kinda hard to tell since the pics are sideways *LOL*

Does it straighten easily? That's a big difference between 2B and 2C. 2C's are harder to manage where as 2B's can go easily between straight and curly.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    if you're prone to frizz you might be in the 2C category, it is kinda hard to tell since the pics are sideways *LOL*

Does it straighten easily? That's a big difference between 2B and 2C. 2C's are harder to manage where as 2B's can go easily between straight and curly.

Without the use of quite a bit of product while I'm straightening, it gets veryyy poofy and it's not very easy to keep straight.
  • natural2anatural2a Posts: 154Registered Users
    I have noticed that there are not many pics of 2a's on the blogs. I am definitely a 2a. Fine, tends to fly away. Does not get straighter when cut shorter. I am a newbie to this website, and I just got my first cut from a curly hair expert who cuts each curl rather than pulling the hair straight and cutting a straight edge.

Currently trying:
    Deva Low-Poo with Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose on day 1, days 2 & 3 CO-wash with the Aubrey only. Then repeat. My stylist wants me to try to stretch to 3 days of CO-washing before my next appointment.

Did NOT like Oidad gel (too heavy, plastic-like), Bumble & Bumble Seaweed (too light, not moisturizing enough, and I think it has some 'cones).

Happy to finally have found a stylist who said "I think I'd like your hair to get LONGER." I have never heard a stylist say that before :)
    baby-fine 2a wavy hair
    growing out my bangs and short layers

Current routine, every day:
    Mastey Traite shampoo
    Mastey Frehair conditioner
    pink Boots curl creme (TINY amount)
    Aura Lemongrass Mousse
    scrunch with Curls Like Us Curl Cloth
    diffuse
    air dry
    scrunch out the crunch
    It's good that you found someone who's an expert with curls. I'd like to get a different haircut soon, so I think I'll ask my stylist to cut my hair dry.

I'm ot even sure if my hair gets straight when it's short, as my hair hasn't been anywhere close to short since Kindergarden - 3rd grade! It's is very thick though, and there's a lot of hair. I have to try really hard to get it into a little loose bun in a hair tie :p.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file