drugstore CG products?

so ive found by sulfate-free stuff isnt silicone free :(

SO i am trying to find a shampoo/CO/styling products i can get at a drugstore (PREFERABLY WALGREENS!) sorry PJ, but i dont think its necessary to buy products online before you know if they work for YOU.

any good CG drugstore products ?

thanks in advance <3
--xxmisschrisxx
3a since going CG!
CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
using:
shampoo bars (wind blossom)
condish - burts bees super shiny
styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
trying: tweek...barely.
WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
Dislikes: molasses and CK :( so unfortunately...

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    All the Organix shampoos are sulfate free, and some have one water-soluble cone (which is ok). I got mine from Walgreens. I also have Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, which is popular on the boards, and I like that too. Really cheap, I know Wal-Mart has it.

I have Mane 'n Tail Conditioner that I don't think is any better than VO5 or Suave Naturals, but all those things can be found at any drugstore, and they're good for co-washing and conditioning (although I like a heavier conditioner than VO5 and Suave naturals). Only Suave NATURALS are cone-free, double check any other Suave product you want.
    A lot of people also like L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer (LOOB), which I didn't find at my local Target, but is a drugstore CG product.
    I recently found my favorite CG leave in, Giovanni Direct leave-in, at Target, although I got mine at Whole Foods. Target also has other Giovanni products, and a lot of people like the 50/50 Shampoo and Conditioner, or the Tea Tree Triple Treat (which is good for itchy or flaky scalps).
    Others use Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel or Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, which I haven't tried but assume is CG since so many use them.

Hope that can get you started! Those products are really cheap too, the Giovanni is the most expensive one, and it's only $8 (SO worth it, love it).

PS. A lot of people use KY liquid (as in the personal lubricant) in place of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink], which is an HG for lots of people.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • greengrlgreengrl Registered Users Posts: 129
    I only shampoo once every 2-3 weeks with castille soap. Some find it drying but I use the Dr. Bronner Almond & my hair loves it. I've alo tried the Organix Shampoo & had good results. I use VO5 to co-wash with & sometimes I use it as a leave-in (I have a bottle that I mixed with coconut oil).I just tried KY in my hair yesterday & I AM IN LOVE! No frizz, nice clumpage, & amazing shine. I used the jelly, not the liquid but the ingredients are the same for both.

If you are buying drugstore products make sure to read all ingredients. Stay away from any 'cones, these all end with 'cone, 'xane, 'conol. Also stay away from anything with mineral oil, petrolatum, or parrafin, as these cause buildup that needs to be washed with harsh shampoos.
  • mycolorfulheartmycolorfulheart Registered Users Posts: 158
    I shop at walgreens like it's my job, lol!
    I second, or rather, third, the Organix line; I used a conditioner of theirs that made my hair ridiculously soft and silky. I just picked up shampoo (walgreens was having a buy one get one sale on Organix stuff. I dont' know if it's a local thing, but if you're going by their today check it out!)

Also, I'm new to CG; so I take it to mean that products need to be free of sulphates and silicones? In that case, I have two possible products for after styling:
    Stictly Curls curl-defining lotion by Marc Anthony--it's a gel; I use a moderate amount on the patches where I get the most frizz, if I use too much there's crunchiness, yuck

And Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioning cream, sleek & shine--I just started using this and I like it so far. Not too much buildup and it helps my hair feel moisturized. It has 'fragrance' pretty high up in the ingredient list, which might be a no no.

Oh and also, Garnier fructis weightless anti-frizz serum. This one has frangrance listed last, so yay! it helps get rid of frizz but if I use too much it actually can make my hair greasy. If I have to look especially good I almost always use this; it makes my hair more shiny.

Both the Garnier ones have alchohols on the list. I'm still learning so I'm not sure if this is okay or not.
    I second, or rather, third, the Organix line; I used a conditioner of theirs that made my hair ridiculously soft and silky. I just picked up shampoo (walgreens was having a buy one get one sale on Organix stuff. I dont' know if it's a local thing, but if you're going by their today check it out!)

Also, I'm new to CG; so I take it to mean that products need to be free of sulphates and silicones? In that case, I have two possible products for after styling:
    Stictly Curls curl-defining lotion by Marc Anthony--it's a gel; I use a moderate amount on the patches where I get the most frizz, if I use too much there's crunchiness, yuck

And Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioning cream, sleek & shine--I just started using this and I like it so far. Not too much buildup and it helps my hair feel moisturized. It has 'fragrance' pretty high up in the ingredient list, which might be a no no.

Oh and also, Garnier fructis weightless anti-frizz serum. This one has frangrance listed last, so yay! it helps get rid of frizz but if I use too much it actually can make my hair greasy. If I have to look especially good I almost always use this; it makes my hair more shiny.

Both the Garnier ones have alchohols on the list. I'm still learning so I'm not sure if this is okay or not.

Garnier Products always have silicone in them. Silicone causes buildup on hair that could only be removed using harsh detergents like sulphates. I believe the Marc Anthony poduct also has silicone but I couldn't find ingredients for it. Some Organix products contain silicone as well.

Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum
    Ingredients:
    Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Alcohol Denat , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Limonene , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Avocado Oil Persea Gratissima , Butylphenyl Methyl Propional , Citronellol , Apricot Kernel Oil Prunus Armeniaca , Coumarin , Hexyl Cinnamal , Fragrance Parfum

Leave-In Conditioning Creme
    Ingredients:
    Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Amodimethicone , Cetyl Esters , Behentrimonium Chloride , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Avocado Oil , Trideceth-12 , Citric Acid , Apricot Kernel Oil , Cetrimonium Chloride , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , Butylphenyl , Methylpropional , Citronellol
    I found the ingredients to the Marc Anthony lotion & it's 'cone free. I remember using it before going mod-cg & not being impressed but I might try it again now that I don't use any silicone.

Ingredients:
    Purified Water enriched with Silk Proteins and Vitamin E, Glycerine, Polysorbate-20, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Propylene Glycol, Imidiazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbopol, dl Panthenol, Fragrance, Monoalkyl Esters of PVM/MA Copolymer, Vinylpyrrolidone, Styrene Copolymer, TEA, FD and C Yellow No. 5.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    All the Organix shampoos are sulfate free, and some have one water-soluble cone (which is ok). I got mine from Walgreens. I also have Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel, which is popular on the boards, and I like that too. Really cheap, I know Wal-Mart has it.

I have Mane 'n Tail Conditioner that I don't think is any better than VO5 or Suave Naturals, but all those things can be found at any drugstore, and they're good for co-washing and conditioning (although I like a heavier conditioner than VO5 and Suave naturals). Only Suave NATURALS are cone-free, double check any other Suave product you want.
    A lot of people also like L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer (LOOB), which I didn't find at my local Target, but is a drugstore CG product.
    I recently found my favorite CG leave in, Giovanni Direct leave-in, at Target, although I got mine at Whole Foods. Target also has other Giovanni products, and a lot of people like the 50/50 Shampoo and Conditioner, or the Tea Tree Triple Treat (which is good for itchy or flaky scalps).
    Others use Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel or Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, which I haven't tried but assume is CG since so many use them.

Hope that can get you started! Those products are really cheap too, the Giovanni is the most expensive one, and it's only $8 (SO worth it, love it).

PS. A lot of people use KY liquid (as in the personal lubricant) in place of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink], which is an HG for lots of people.

I second Giovanni, but Walgreen's doesn't have it. Riteaid, Target, Ulta, Kroger and others do.

Naked Naturals at Walgreen's is good, too.

Love LOOB and recently got it BOGO at Walgreen's.

HETT gel and mousse are OK, but not the best for my hair - everyone's different. Most love CK but my hair hates it.

LOOB, FOTE aloe vera gel, Giovanni tea tree poo/co and Direct LI are my favorite drugstore products and for the most part, the best overall for my hair - at the moment. See below for other stuff - most are drugstore or Sally products and not too expensive, although cost is usually not a factor for me if something is highly recommended. I've wasted lots on Bumble&Bumble, Deva, and Jessicurl, to name but a few!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • KindaWavyKindaWavy Registered Users Posts: 383
    greengrl wrote: »
    Ingredients:
    Water , Cetearyl Alcohol , Amodimethicone , Cetyl Esters , Behentrimonium Chloride , Fragrance , Methylparaben , Avocado Oil , Trideceth-12 , Citric Acid , Apricot Kernel Oil , Cetrimonium Chloride , Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride , Linalool , Butylphenyl , Methylpropional , Citronellol

I'm pretty sure that the Amodimethicone is water-soluable (someone correct me if I'm wrong, pls), and thus CG friendly.
    Photobucket acct: http://s432.photobucket.com/albums/qq48/KindaWavy/
    pw=hairhairhair

Shampoo bars w/Organic ACV rinses
    KBB milk wash out, Super Silky leave-in
    Donna Marie CCB, KCCC, FSG, and Cocoa Hemp Buttercream to scrunch the crunch.

2C/3A, slightly past BSL.
  • xxmisschrisxxxxmisschrisxx Registered Users Posts: 223
    QUESTIONS ---

how do you use LOOB? thanks =]
    --xxmisschrisxx
    3a since going CG!
    CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
    using:
  • mycolorfulheartmycolorfulheart Registered Users Posts: 158

Garnier Products always have silicone in them. Silicone causes buildup on hair that could only be removed using harsh detergents like sulphates. I believe the Marc Anthony poduct also has silicone but I couldn't find ingredients for it. Some Organix products contain silicone as well.

Weightless Anti-Frizz Serum
    Ingredients:
    Cyclopentasiloxane , Dimethiconol , Alcohol Denat , C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate , Limonene , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone , Avocado Oil Persea Gratissima , Butylphenyl Methyl Propional , Citronellol , Apricot Kernel Oil Prunus Armeniaca , Coumarin , Hexyl Cinnamal , Fragrance Parfum

Ingredients:

Thanks for correcting me. Someone on another thread had this link: http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/cones.html

That lists the 'cones and whether they're water soluable or not. I do know the kind in Organix is, it's Dimethicone Copolyol.

That sucks about Garnier. I was so happy, I thought their stuff was good :sad8:

Thanks for correcting me. Someone on another thread had this link: http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/cones.html

That lists the 'cones and whether they're water soluable or not. I do know the kind in Organix is, it's Dimethicone Copolyol.

That sucks about Garnier. I was so happy, I thought their stuff was good :sad8:

I know I used to love there products especially the serum :-(.
  • megaboomegaboo Registered Users Posts: 77
    auntnett wrote: »

I second Giovanni, but Walgreen's doesn't have it. Riteaid, Target, Ulta, Kroger and others do.

Naked Naturals at Walgreen's is good, too.

Love LOOB and recently got it BOGO at Walgreen's.

HETT gel and mousse are OK, but not the best for my hair - everyone's different. Most love CK but my hair hates it.

LOOB, FOTE aloe vera gel, Giovanni tea tree poo/co and Direct LI are my favorite drugstore products and for the most part, the best overall for my hair - at the moment. See below for other stuff - most are drugstore or Sally products and not too expensive, although cost is usually not a factor for me if something is highly recommended. I've wasted lots on Bumble&Bumble, Deva, and Jessicurl, to name but a few!

I was able to find Giovanni at Walgreens. It is also available on their website. I just wished I would have picked it up while I was there yesterday!
    CG since October 20th, 2009
    co.wash: suave coconut, vo5 vanilla mint tea, vo5 strawberries n' creme,
    low-poo: Giovanni 50/50, deva no-poo
    condish: suave coconut
    leave-in: suave coconut, giovanni leave in
    stylers: HE tousle me softly mousse & gel

curls n creme: my transition to cg, experiments, and product reviews
    my fotki: pinacurlada

http://macbookplease.com
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Registered Users Posts: 242 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know if anyone has posted this before, but i was googling cone free conditioners yesterday, and i found this website with a looooong list of cone free products! woo! put it in your favorites:
    http://ladylonghair.googlepages.com/'cone-freeconditioners
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
    Hmm, none of the Walgreen's around me carry it. I'll have to request it!

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • xxmisschrisxxxxmisschrisxx Registered Users Posts: 223
    hey guys -- how do you use LOOB?
    --xxmisschrisxx
    3a since going CG!
    using:
    I haven't used it myself but have been thinking about adding it to my routine. From some of the other posts I've read it is a texturizer so it doesn't really offer much hold. You would use it after your leave-in & before your styler.
    hey guys -- how do you use LOOB?

Well, the first day after I bought it I used it per the instructions on dry hair. Did OK but I didn't see what the big deal was.

Then I found out everyone here was using it on wet hair like a curl cream. I dip a couple of fingers in the jar and get out one glop - less than a tablespoon I'd estimate - emulsify it in my hands then work it throughout my very wet hair. The last couple of times I've turned upside down and brushed it through with my new Denman brush to better distribute it then scrunched, still upside down, to get the curls going, then partially diffused, then air dried - completely. Then scrunch out the slight crunch 'til it's shiny and soft, and I'm pretty much good to go.

Sounds like some use more LOOB than I and/or additional gel, but I don't find I need it.

HTH

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    I second her use of LOOB. Fantastic results. Although I think I need to use a bit more on the underlayers, which were poofy, but the top was GREAT.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    Cyclopentasiloxane is another that can cause problems in addition to "cones" Amodimethicone is a water soluable cone but can still be a problem and require "POO" to remove in some curlies. It's a gamble!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file